something really bad has happened!

quick question .. has anyone had anything really bad happen in one of your properties? (ie something that has made the headlines) .. if so, did it make it more difficult to rent the property afterwards?

In answer to your Q - no, thankfully.
However, what do you mean by really bad that made the headlines?
* Tree fell on house during a storm. Now fixed - no issues.
* Someone murdered in the property. All cleaned up. You have to declare as a "Material Fact" - this will put many Asian tenants off (and some others btw) and could affect the rental vacancy - yes absolutely.
* Same if it was used as a crack house, drug lab, for growing hydroponic crops of an illegal nature, a brothel, a bikie headquarters etc etc.

I had a dead tenant in one of mine for at least 3 weeks before she was discovered. Didn't make the headlines, but maybe it should have. How sad that nobody knew she was dead for so long.

I'd be more concerned about the fall in value.

It depends what the issue is.

Drug labs, shootings, or just known rivaling bikies having lived in the house would make people feel unsafe living there for a couple of years at least when they know some of the dumb A bikies here don't double check to see if the person they want to shoot (regardless that they can't shoot for peanuts) still lives there :eek:.

I almost bought a house in Adelaide where hydroponic plants were grown for many years - and also the vendor was arrested and jailed for firearm offenses (as well as the marijuana) etc... didn't deter me - the B&P report did though when it was too much damage to contemplate fixing!

I almost bought a house in Adelaide where hydroponic plants were grown for many years - and also the vendor was arrested and jailed for firearm offenses (as well as the marijuana) etc... didn't deter me - the B&P report did though when it was too much damage to contemplate fixing!
My friend purchased one in mackay that was bikies den with murderer living there,was raided by swat and trashed.
Short story is she bought it,I renovated it and found syringes everywhere,I wouldn't touch the garden and landscaping job.
Black spraypainting murals on walls,pool and spa trashed,
Moral of story,don't rent to bikies :eek:

Never happened to me but I've heard a few stories...

Unless it's a really high profile case, I imagine that nobody but the locals will remember it a few months later.

quick question .. has anyone had anything really bad happen in one of your properties? (ie something that has made the headlines) .. if so, did it make it more difficult to rent the property afterwards?

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/can_you_help_us/rewards/$250,000_reward/reward_for_information_into_triple_murder_inquiry_-_deniliquin

It didn't actually happen in the house, but it did make it hard to collect the rent.

I just took it off the market for a couple of months and all has been good since.

Was that family renting your property Battler?

Or just living in the town?

I find it hard to believe that the vacancy rate in the area would be affected by the murders... but could be wrong.

I found out after chatting with the neighbours while renovating a property that I purchased a house was known locally as the "party house" as it was operating as a brothel. Cleaned it up, put it on the rental market and was leased the next day. For me it wasn't a huge issue, and obviously not for the tenants as they've been there for 18+months.

House across the road from my PPOR turned out to be one of those "fake" houses that inside was just a full hydroponic setup. Really suprising as there seemed to have a quiet family living there and the house was only 2 years old in a reasonably 'nice' neighbourhood for the area. House was cleaned up and sold to an investor. The tenant turnover if frequent but it's never vacant for long.

I had a dead tenant in one of mine for at least 3 weeks before she was discovered. Didn't make the headlines, but maybe it should have. How sad that nobody knew she was dead for so long.

I hope she still paid her rent on time.

And don't forget; yer have to give 28 days to vacate; did she do that?

Back