• Stay away cause hooligans

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Stay away cause of crime

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
South West Area NSW

Hi All,

Just want to know your opinions on property in the South West in particularly, Glenfield, Leppington, Prestons and Ingleburn area.

How's the area like? I'm looking to buy a house over there but i'm not sure in terms of growth, crime rates and so on and so on. Also, are the property overpriced around those area or is it reasonable?

So any feedbacks will be much appreciated from anyone.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Just want to know your opinions on property in the South West in particularly, Glenfield, Leppington, Prestons and Ingleburn area.

How's the area like? I'm looking to buy a house over there but i'm not sure in terms of growth, crime rates and so on and so on. Also, are the property overpriced around those area or is it reasonable?

So any feedbacks will be much appreciated from anyone.

Cheers.

If I was to invest there I would research past history and see what growth has been there for the last 40 years as I am a long term investor. People rent everywhere but obviously some areas grow better than others. When you answer the reasons why then you can make sound investment decisions.

Sorry I must have added, I'm buying for living as the primary reason.

I did compared between south west and north west area, north west has more growth and faster. Which north west in favor but can't afford in the area.

So I came across with South west brand new houses and the land size relatively acceptable in the 380-500sqm.

But it all comes down to security and the lifestyle in the area. Therefore I seek any advices or suggestions who has experience or living and/or has an ip in the area.

Sorry I must have added, I'm buying for living as the primary reason.

I did compared between south west and north west area, north west has more growth and faster. Which north west in favor but can't afford in the area.

So I came across with South west brand new houses and the land size relatively acceptable in the 380-500sqm.

But it all comes down to security and the lifestyle in the area. Therefore I seek any advices or suggestions who has experience or living and/or has an ip in the area.

Friends had IP in Ingleburn, bought at the peak so after 10 years did not have much growth there. At least that's what they told me.

I'm from the south west. Have lived here my whole life. If I was moving from another area and had to choose north or southwest I would go north west.

In terms of the homes available the north and south west are generally pretty similar. A lot of project homes. North west has better shopping centres, more variety in terms of restaurants too. Problem with south west is the people. A lot of riff raff and new immigration in the area. It's always been an area immigrants flocked too I guess, but call me a racist, call me what you will the ones that build the area up 50-30 years ago were a better calibre than what is coming in now. It's dragged the area down a lot.

I'm from the south west. Have lived here my whole life. If I was moving from another area and had to choose north or southwest I would go north west.

In terms of the homes available the north and south west are generally pretty similar. A lot of project homes. North west has better shopping centres, more variety in terms of restaurants too. Problem with south west is the people. A lot of riff raff and new immigration in the area. It's always been an area immigrants flocked too I guess, but call me a racist, call me what you will the ones that build the area up 50-30 years ago were a better calibre than what is coming in now. It's dragged the area down a lot.

Appreciate your feedback. I would love to live in the north west but it's at least 100 - 200K more than my budget.

I can see the growth there are slower than north. But I noticed Glenfield the new house development are doing pretty all right? I thought it might be a good prospect too if the new "planned" second Sydney airport in the area.

I see what you are saying, don't worry i'm not judging anyone. In terms of security, is it safe? In terms of school kids / parents, are they more discipline and educated? Because i saw the news about the Macquarie Field, which sort of put me hopes down.

Appreciate your feedback. I would love to live in the north west but it's at least 100 - 200K more than my budget.

I can see the growth there are slower than north. But I noticed Glenfield the new house development are doing pretty all right? I thought it might be a good prospect too if the new "planned" second Sydney airport in the area.

I see what you are saying, don't worry i'm not judging anyone. In terms of security, is it safe? In terms of school kids / parents, are they more discipline and educated? Because i saw the news about the Macquarie Field, which sort of put me hopes down.

Which area are you coming from? Glenfield is all basically a new Mirvac subdivision. There is the rail line with commuter car park there.

In terms of crime I have hardly had a problem (house got broken into once) I have never felt threatened, not safe etc. Not many great schools out this way if you are big on education. Great schools are a bit over rated though I feel. Education really starts and ends at home.

Macquarie fields had a riot way back when. Hasn't really been cleaned up but it wasn't an excessively bad area to begin with. I would feel safer walking through Macquarie fields than Liverpool.

Which area are you coming from? Glenfield is all basically a new Mirvac subdivision. There is the rail line with commuter car park there.

In terms of crime I have hardly had a problem (house got broken into once) I have never felt threatened, not safe etc. Not many great schools out this way if you are big on education. Great schools are a bit over rated though I feel. Education really starts and ends at home.

Macquarie fields had a riot way back when. Hasn't really been cleaned up but it wasn't an excessively bad area to begin with. I would feel safer walking through Macquarie fields than Liverpool.

I'm currently renting out in the inner west area and looking to settle down. Sorry to hear that your house got broken into...I guess these things happen everywhere.

Lol... just realised Liverpool is just as bad.. I do agree with you that Education really starts and ends at home. But the surroundings and whom you hang around do taken into an account.

What's the % of growth annually around south west area, if you don't mind sharing?

Not sure about the growth rates. Things tend to be really flat out here for long periods and then BOOM. Also remember if you are buying new there are a lot of developer costs built into the land component that take a decade or so to depreciate before what you are paying for is the actually land value.

All that never bothered me though when I have been looking at PPOR.

I reckon you will struggle out here if you grew up in the innrt west lol.

Friends had IP in Ingleburn, bought at the peak so after 10 years did not have much growth there. At least that's what they told me.

The same could be said for lots of the Sydney area if you bought in 2001.

I bought a villa in Ingleburn in June 2011 and it has had pretty good growth. I paid $211K and it would be worth $300K now.:D

I know quite a few people that work or commute to the airport that live in Ingleburn and surrounds. It's a short drive or easy public transport ride in.

What is your budget for the house?

I actually had a look at Southwest for investing purposes earlier this year, and drove around Mount Annan/Harrington Park/Gregory Hills/Oran Park/Narellan area. At the end I noticed that there are not that many jobs generated in those area to support all those new houses. I could see some smaller business park at Gregory Hills and expansion of Narellan Town Centre, but just don't see grand scale business park to support local people.

I ended up buying at Schofields which is not far from Rouse Hill, and has its own running train station already and whole Alex Ave area that is being developed right now and the new Sydney Business Park at Marsden Park which is developing into very large employment area in a few years. Also once North West Rail Link is completed there will be another station very close to Schofields. NSW Government is already reserve land to extend NWRL to Marsden Park which will cross existing Schofields station.

http://northwestoptions.com.au/

But if I have to pick one at Southwest, I would either buy near Leppington or near Narellan Town centre. But if I have budget I would pick northwest over southwest. Have a look at the links below to help you decide:

http://www.gcc.nsw.gov.au/south+west-22.html

http://www.gcc.nsw.gov.au/north+west-21.html

Just to add to this thread so that those can consider this information when buying in Ingleburn.

I bought an IP in Ingleburn January 2014 for 470k 650SQM. It needed 20k rennos to fix up some cosmetic things in preparation for renting. It rents out for $520/week.

Similar properties are selling for $550k-600k+ at the moment (10 months later). My RE agent also confirmed that $550k would be an easy sell in the current market.

Here is the catch - my bank recently valued the property at $480k which is a $10k increase from my purchase price (-$10k net when you consider the rennos). They have said that the valuers don't like to be optimistic with the Ingleburn/Minto areas - even though the current market.

This obviously puts a drag down on being able to draw down on equity for the next purchase.

Just wanted to highlight this to others that may be considering to buy in the traditionally 'undesirable' suburbs.......

Edmondson Park Masterplan Video

I may be a sucker for marketing however if the Edmondson Park masterplan video turns out to be anything close to reality then it may turn out to be quite desirable

Check out the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b2zVRFbUMU

This might explain some of the higher prices in this precinct.

My PPOR is in the Glenfield Mirvac estate and whilst it hasn't been a outstanding performer, it has been solid my property cost approx $570k in 2010 and has been recently valued at $680k by bank valuer (however would expect it could fetch up to $50k more as the bank valuations tend to be quite conservative)

Use to work in the Ingleburn area for about a year and as part of my job I did many home visits in Ingleburn and neighbouring suburbs. Area didn't seem too bad, mostly middle aged families with some professionals mixed in.

One thing I'd be wary of are the Housing commission properties, there's a couple of streets that are basically all Housing. I can't remember the street names but definitely do your DD as I'd imagine your insurance premiums will be pretty high or next to those streets.

Use to work in the Ingleburn area for about a year and as part of my job I did many home visits in Ingleburn and neighbouring suburbs. Area didn't seem too bad, mostly middle aged families with some professionals mixed in.

One thing I'd be wary of are the Housing commission properties, there's a couple of streets that are basically all Housing. I can't remember the street names but definitely do your DD as I'd imagine your insurance premiums will be pretty high or next to those streets.

Completely agree with you.... in many of these old areas of Glenfield, Mac Fields, Ingleburn and even Minto you can see large blocks being bought and MacMansions being built on them. These are largely by Indian families which is bringing along a changing demographic/

I'm relatively new to the Area (circa 2010) and the property i purchase was in the Carrs Estate which I'm told is a 'desirable' part of Ingleburn. However even this didn't have any upside into my recent bank valuation.

There is also a Centrelink office in Ingleburn suburb which may have an impact.

I could see South West Sydney is definitely improving with lots of development going around i.e. Airport, Shopping Center (one of the example would be Cosco), South Western Sydney train line & lots of houses too.

Oran Park is even getting more and more expensive.

Campbelltown too is one of the suburb to look out for.

Back