splitting land

hey all,

Has anyone had any experience in subdividing land? Would anyone be able to enlighten me on what steps need to be taken? Is it true that sometimes you can double your money paid for the original block by splitting?

I don;t intend to sub divide just interested to learn more!!:)

thanks!!!

pitts

first step is to talk to your local council to determine what exactly you can do, and what the requirements are, ie, there will be a minimum block size and you may need a minimum frontage. ask them 100 questions ...

if council guidelines indicate that subdivision is possible, engage a surveyor to draw up the subdivision plans. the surveyor can then either organise the entire subdivision process for you (water, lands title, sewer, electricity etc) for a price, or can point you in the direction of everything you need to organise.

hope this helps and i apologise for being vague - but every council area is different and until you talk to them and find out what their requirements are, any advice will be non-specific.

depending on location and demand for land in your area ... you can double your land value (less costs). only you can do the research to determine this.

I would more likely pay for a consultation with a surveyor first.
I dont have fond memories of many council staff.

I'd ask around (developers) "who's the best surveyor in town" and pay them to evaluate your choices.

I wouldn't pay for a consult with a surveyor first . Council staff vary but some can be very helpfull ( though not always acurate - we were told our first block was not subdividable by the council staff ).

You need the council guidelines on what you can and can't do to start with , though don't believe them completely . Things can be flexible around the edges. We've done two subdivisions in Ku-ring-gai ( one of the more difficult councils in Sydney to deal with ) neither of which complied with the actual guidelines ( the advantage of this is you're not paying for something with "development potential - STCA" ). In some places there are advisors who can guide subdivisions / developments through. The person we used for our last one was the General Manager of Ku-ring-gai council for many years , so he knows exactly how the system works. He ( and I assume many others ) will give an initial assessment for free .

How would you find someone locally ? I'd talk to the local realestate agents ( some are more interested in developments than others ) and explain what you're interested in doing. If you get the same name mentioned repeatedly , that's a good start. You can also look at the council records of developments that are currently in council to see who prepared the submission.

Yes you can make money doing it , though it can be time consuming .

See Change

Back