spread sheet problem. Any Excel gurus?

I have a simple question regarding Excel i hope someone can help me with.

I have a spreadsheet with 4 tabs at the bottom (lets say one for each financial year). On each of these pages (tabs) are formulas? where figures are entered and calculates automatically on the page.

My question is, i want to create a new page (work sheet?), which will be blank and transfer the same formulas to that one so that i can just enter the figures.

I have created the new tab (2012) but cant figure out how to transfer the template from the other tabs into it.

Any idea how this is done? Apologies if my terminology is wrong, i have never really used Excel.

Hey Evand,

Long time reader, just never signed up until now. I registered just for this because I tried to do this the other day and couldn't figure it out. All I could figure out was either:

1) In first workbook color any of the fields you want to use as "Enter Value" as red (or whatever color suits). Copy all and move to a new worksheet and right click, paste special, formula's and then right click paste special formats. Now all the forumal's are moved over and I deleted all the values I had as colors and now know which ones to enter again and forumla's are all the same.

2) Right click on the tab and go move or copy and then tick create a copy. This copies all formulas and the values.

I don't think there is a way to just copy formula's and leave out values. I am happy to be proven wrong though and interested to know if there is a way.

Thanks for the info and quick reply, do you mean to highlight the whole page and then right click and copy the original workbook?

Hey Evand,

Long time reader, just never signed up until now. I registered just for this because I tried to do this the other day and couldn't figure it out. All I could figure out was either:

1) In first workbook color any of the fields you want to use as "Enter Value" as red (or whatever color suits). Copy all and move to a new worksheet and right click, paste special, formula's and then right click paste special formats. Now all the forumal's are moved over and I deleted all the values I had as colors and now know which ones to enter again and forumla's are all the same.

2) Right click on the tab and go move or copy and then tick create a copy. This copies all formulas and the values.

I don't think there is a way to just copy formula's and leave out values. I am happy to be proven wrong though and interested to know if there is a way.

yep, what livewildcard said, or go to the edit menu at the top of the screen, choose move/ copy sheet , make sure the 'create a copy' checkbox is ticked, hit ok and and it will create a duplicate tab/ worksheet for you.

If you want the whole workbook copied if you go to the workbook you want to copy, up top left hand corner above the number 1 for Row 1 and to the left of A for column A there will be a small blank square box.

Click that and it will highlight the whole sheet. Right click anywhere on the page and "copy" and then move to your new worksheet and it should already be completly highlighted blue ready to paste so right click anywhere and "Paste" and should copy all forumula's anyway.

yep, what livewildcard said, or go to the edit menu at the top of the screen, choose move/ copy sheet , make sure the 'create a copy' checkbox is ticked, hit ok and and it will create a duplicate tab/ worksheet for you.

That is a better way as less chance of making mistakes. You can achive the same thing by right clicking on the 'sheet' you want to copy and follow Lawry's steps.

Thanks guys, it worked.

I'm using Office 2010 so things were a bit different but i think its ok, i havnt entered values in yet.

Back