Spring = More Houses on the Market?

I've been watching the market in Melbourne in recent months and the newspapers are predicting a property boom due to the high clearance rates. I'm thinking it is because there are more buyers but low stock so they are all competing for the same few properties that are available. So no boom.

Is spring traditionally the time when more people put houses on the market? Why is it so?

I have been searching for apartments recently (Melbourne, St. Kilda), and a lot of the agents have said that Spring will see a lot more properties up for sale.
No idea why, but I've heard it a dozen times already.

I think to a certain degree it will be dependent on the property, I am told there is already an oversupply of apartments in Melb?? I have no clue whether this is the case.

However, development sites, builders are jumping in and there is competition, I expect that this will continue if there are more buyers in the market and stock reduces.

MTR

I think to a certain degree it will be dependent on the property, I am told there is already an oversupply of apartments in Melb?? I have no clue whether this is the case.

However, development sites, there is more competition, builders are jumping in and there is competition, I expect that this will continue if there are more buyers in the market and stock reduces.

MTR

True. There are lots of builders who only do their own developments. It's tougher as a developer to buy when you have builders competing against you. They can easily pay more and still profit from the development.

True. There are lots of builders who only do their own developments. It's tougher as a developer to buy when you have builders competing against you. They can easily pay more and still profit from the development.

Unless they want 12 month settlement;)

Spring is traditionally the "selling season" in Melb because of a few factors.

1. Gardens are in bloom and grass is growing, everything is lush and green - better presentation and nicer weather and temps.

2. Not too much on in terms of holidays to take folk away (only the Grand Final), so lots of days for viewings, etc.

3. The "penguin effect" - lots of people have done it, do it, will be doing it - so lots of people do it to follow the herd/flock.

There always are a lot more properties on the market in our spring, which can mean lots more sellers so more competition if there aren't a lot of buyers.

I've been watching the market in Melbourne in recent months and the newspapers are predicting a property boom due to the high clearance rates. I'm thinking it is because there are more buyers but low stock so they are all competing for the same few properties that are available. So no boom.

Is spring traditionally the time when more people put houses on the market? Why is it so?
Still waiting to see this happen in Brisbane. Listings are drying up and more buyers coming to market.
Not sure if Spring selling is as popular in Qld as winter is not bad conditions. Hope we do get an increase of properties though as demand is there.

Still waiting to see this happen in Brisbane. Listings are drying up and more buyers coming to market.
Not sure if Spring selling is as popular in Qld as winter is not bad conditions. Hope we do get an increase of properties though as demand is there.

We're being told in sydney that there are more properties about to hit the market , but when I asked that question in brissie , the agents weren't seeing that , and they were going to start marketing to drum up sales .

Cliff

Last edited:

Not in the whole city. But in certain tightly held inner city spots and inner eastern suburbs, there is, at least from what I can see. Places are selling for around 40-80% higher than what they'll sell for last year at around the same month.

And yes, certainly not apartments.

Spring is generally prime selling time because:
- houses look their best with their nice gardens all lush and green (no sprinkler ban and dead gardens!)
- if your house is freezing in winter the Buyer has no idea
- if your house is boiling in summer the Buyer has no idea

This peak flows on to summer sales where families want to move over summer school holidays.

Back