Stamp collections

I'm doing a clean out and have several stamp book collections. Are they or any worth anything? What does everyone do with stamP collections they inherit, etc.

I found an old one of mine from (cough) around 35 years ago ... some NZ stamps dating back to the early 1900's ... must do a search ... doubt it's worth much

I found an old one of mine from (cough) around 35 years ago ... some NZ stamps dating back to the early 1900's ... must do a search ... doubt it's worth much

I was keen when I was about ten for about a year. I think it was because I thought they were important and collecting them would make you rich. I remember being told something like they were worth more if they had a post mark. I found some collections of my husbands from the 80's. They are books with a year and significant event like 'Charles and Diana wedding' . They are in as new condition, not postmarked. I havn't really looked at all but also got some from husband's grandma in her 90's. I wonder if people are ruthless and chuck them or keep them for sentimental reasons.

I think that you should get them professionally appraised because some stamps can be worth something. You hear about people who purchase a chair from a charity store and then realise it is an item of great signficance and resell for good dollars.

My dad and his brother were big collectors and when his brother died he handled the estate and it seems the stamps had gone down in value a lot since the 80s/90s.

They may still be worth something but probably not a lot.

There are some philatelist sites you can go to for an idea.

There is money to be made in philately however it goes in cycles. Back in the 1980's stamps like the "Waterfall" set or the 1970 Christmas "Kings" were so scarce that they were worth decent $, then the @rts fell out of the market.

Things like gutter pairs were valuable. Take what you've got to one of the CBD stamp stores and get them to have a look over them and identify the valuable ones. Remember: condition is king (Mint is obviously the best with used being generally the least valuable).

There is money to be made in philately however it goes in cycles. Back in the 1980's stamps like the "Waterfall" set or the 1970 Christmas "Kings" were so scarce that they were worth decent $, then the @rts fell out of the market.

Things like gutter pairs were valuable. Take what you've got to one of the CBD stamp stores and get them to have a look over them and identify the valuable ones. Remember: condition is king (Mint is obviously the best with used being generally the least valuable).

When you say 'mint' are you saying unpostmarked, or postmarked in perfect condition?

When I was a child in the 80s, Australia post used to sell us a lot of mint collectors edition of stamps in beautiful limited edition books. These must surely be worth something.

When I was a child in the 80s, Australia post used to sell us a lot of mint collectors edition of stamps in beautiful limited edition books. These must surely be worth something.

At the very least, they'd be worth their face value in postage if licked and affixed to an envelope or package.

My dad and his brother were big collectors and when his brother died he handled the estate and it seems the stamps had gone down in value a lot since the 80s/90s.

They may still be worth something but probably not a lot.

There are some philatelist sites you can go to for an idea.

Does the value change with economy, or is it purely a 'trend'.

I bought some of these a few years ago and if ebay is anything to go by I've doubled my money.

So do I hold on, or sell and reinvest my $27?

lions.jpg

Like anything demand drives up prices. I wonder who constitutes the demand for old stamps? In the days before internet, before miley cyrus, before xbox one, stamp collecting was fairly common amongst kids and adults. But I fear that given current 2014 style hobbies of young people, it has gone the way of the milkman and hence prices may never rise. We have often heard that with email and online shopping, Australia post has to diminish its workforce of posties to cope with the diminishing demand for traditional snail mail.

We have often heard that with email and online shopping, Australia post has to diminish its workforce of posties to cope with the diminishing demand for traditional snail mail.

I've never heard that? I heard that auspost is struggling to keep up with demand resulting from online orders and they have never had it better - being a monopoly they have been able to reduce service commitments and increase prices.

the next logical step would be a banking licence. then list and it's pay day for the govt.

give it 10 years and create a new bank all over again

Back