Standalone garage - timber frame or colourbond?

I like to get some opinion on which material to build a single garage in for IP.

Timber frame cost a lot (~20k), but looks nice and more likely waterproof.

Steel/colourbond is cheap (~9k), but I am not sure if ribs goes horizontal to match house cladding style, and I am not sure if it is water-tight as I had a steel shed which seems to have water coming in when it rains.

I'd go steel frame.
I had a 4 car garage/shed done some years ago by AllGal garages and it was awesome.
The portal frames are great and the cladding was horizontal in colorbond, so I got the color to match the house walls and roof.
Horizontal cladding looks like classic weatherboard style, not cheap looking like roof sheeting profile fixed vertically.

Ditto the above, in 2 car
steel; cheaper, stronger, longer lasting, no termites, fireproof, waterproof[sup]1[/sup] and it looks pretty shmick
Timber is a con perpetuated by carpenters too cheap to buy a new set of tools

1. if assembled properly

Last edited:
I would suggest making it a bit larger if possible, perhaps a bit deeper (2 or 3 m)or 1.5/2 cars wide.

Not much extra in cost but makes huge difference in usability, lawn mowers, hobbies, spare stuff, just somewhere to store things is very popular so much easier to rent and an extra $5-10 a week

I would probably also recommend the colorbond over timber framed.. with a price difference like that you could possibly even build a brick garage for around 20k

I've seen some timber framed garages that look great and match in with the house if the house is clad with weatherboard but if your not too worried about the look then colorbond is a good option..

Attachments

• garages_and_workshops_20110222_1831714055.jpg
    garages_and_workshops_20110222_1831714055.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 204
Back