Construction Techniques + Materials

Where I live (Northern Australia) the common construction materials are steel framed houses with colourbond walls and roofs with no gutters. It is not uncommon common to see houses built from start to finish in 9 months (including the time taken to lodge of building plans with council!).

In Perth, the 'standard' materials are brick +/- render with a tin or tiled roof.

I like steel framed homes with colour bond walls. I think it is reasonably attractive particularly when screened by landscaping (resembling timber clad homes), is environmentally friendly and has low maintenance requirements.

Does anybody have any knowledge of cost comparisons between the two techniques (allowing for the fact that in Perth houses won't need to be cyclone rated) and/or experience building houses with non-standard materials in Perth.

Comments welcome.

Perth is very die hard on the double brick system - there has been a lot of brainwashing going on!

The time taken to get approval in many councils in the metro area is stupidly long but they are happy to approve mainstream alternative construction as long as it meets 6 star rating. For some alternative constructions like the polystyrene building blocks as long as someone has shed the blood, sweat and tears getting approval it's easier as there is precedence.

In terms of cost - sometimes it's not much cheaper but it can be quicker which is a non tangible cost saving.

Places to contact
- Norfolk Homes - use Energylite wall system which looks very interesting
- Ross Squire Homes
- Cedar Homes

I am also keen on finding facts for ICF(polystyrene building blocks).

I know concrete is much more expensive but Bricks,sand,cement and organizing trades can be time consuming and costly too.

It would be good to hear from ppl who have built with ICF in past. I did lot of research for it but gave up as there was no real local(all US) information and builders aren't too warm with idea.

Back