Statement of Claim against me

I do not understand why you would like to have this attitude towards bullies. Kicking the *** is needed as Trump says.
I don't like this attitude, but if you've any experience of litigation, you understand it.

I've had two recent experiences with the justice system. One I "won", and ended up with about 25% of the damages I was legally "entitled" to. I settled for 50%, of which half went to my solicitors for costs, because the advice I had was that even if it went to Court and I won the full amount, my legal fees would increase so astronomically that I'd end up with no more cash in the end, and I might lose and get nothing. :mad:

The other matter: I paid a QC $10K for advice, which was that I'd win, but was unlikely to recover any damages. :mad: I thought it was so ridiculous that I couldn't get damages - still naively believing the justice system offered justice - that I sought another QC's advice, and paid another $10K to get exactly the same advice. :eek:

You live and learn. It's far more profitable to be pragmatic than idealistic. (And I say this as someone who is more of an idealist by nature.)

Hi all,

Pretty much all day today I've been making phone calls and trying to sort this matter, allot of mixed answers I've been getting, but again everyone has different thoughts, at this stage I'm confused.

Just to calm down a bit, I will have a think over it on the weekend & decide what's to be done, I'm more towards fighting it at court and prove them that I'm right, but still need to decide what's better.

If a start getting real stressed out about it:eek:, not worth the $$$ to stress so at the end I might as well pay up.

I will keep you's informed with the end result.

Once again thanks to everyone for your helpful points.:)

Cheers:)
George.

I do not really understand those suggest to pay for it. It is very clear the law is on your side.

Is the law really on his side?

It could be that the solicitor misunderstood George's instructions/intentions
and George didn't inform them early enough that he did not want to proceed so they had already ordered the searches.

It's been a long time since then and neither George nor the solicitor would remember the exact details of their conversation but the solicitor would probably have written the call details in his diary and noted George's address and property details.

This could be used as evidence and ofcourse the court would not believe that a legal professional would lie for the sake of a couple of hundred $
so George cannot say that the solicitor is lying but perhaps that they misunderstood his instructions.

The question is, does he have proof of that?

Is the law really on his side?

It could be that the solicitor misunderstood George's instructions/intentions
and George didn't inform them early enough that he did not want to proceed so they had already ordered the searches.

It's been a long time since then and neither George nor the solicitor would remember the exact details of their conversation but the solicitor would probably have written the call details in his diary and noted George's address and property details.

This could be used as evidence and ofcourse the court would not believe that a legal professional would lie for the sake of a couple of hundred $
so George cannot say that the solicitor is lying but perhaps that they misunderstood his instructions.

The question is, does he have proof of that?

Their is one salient point you continue to overlook;

He has signed nothing. A registered letter pointing out that fact on Monday will end it. If they are stupid enough to persue it send them a counter claim for your time having to defend a vexatious claim and represent yourself. I would also be lodging a formal complaint with the Bar association. For $500 it is small peanuts and will quickly be seen as more trouble to persue than it is worth.

Hi there
ask for an itemised account - they can't sue you while that request is on the table
they actually can't issue the statement of claim within 12 months of the tax invoice - you do have grounds to defend it
lodge a complaint with the Legal Services Commissioner - who could assist you in having this claim withdrawn
normally it is a judgment that affects your credit rating
thanks

Hi Raddles,

I can't seem to find anything on "www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au" website regards not able to issue a Statement of Claim within 12 months.

Have you got a link or any info onit? If you do could you please let me know?

Cheers:)
George

Hi there George
I should perhaps clarify that a solicitor can't sue you until 30 days after a bill has been issued but if you ask for an itemised account - they can't sue you until it has been assessed. You have 12 months to request an assessment - which is why my comments about the 12 months mark - to be safe a solicitor should not issue a statement of claim until after the 12 months mark so there can be no request for an itemised account.

Please see the information from a brochure from the NSW law society for your information.

Your right to challenge legal costs
Legal Profession Act – New South Wales
This notice does not apply to costs in Family Court matters. The rules for disputing costs in those matters are summarised in the Family Court of Australia Costs Notice, which is available at www.familycourt.gov.au. Different time limits may apply. Please speak to the Family Court for further information.
There are different reasons why a client may become unhappy with a bill from his/her lawyers. This document seeks to identify areas that might assist in resolving any problems.
There are time limits that apply to taking particular action in relation to legal costs. You should read this fact sheet carefully, and seek advice if you are unsure about anything in it.
Part 1
Talking to your lawyer
Most clients resolve their concerns about their legal costs simply by discussing their concerns with their lawyer. If you are not happy with a bill, your first step should be to do this, either before or after receiving an itemised bill (see Part 2). Once your lawyer has understood your concerns s/he may agree to review the bill.
If you are not happy with the outcome of the discussions, you can consider using the avenues set out below in Parts 3-6.
Part 2
Lump sum and itemised bills
A bill usually summarises the work your lawyer has done and gives the total amount being charged for that work. However, you may request an itemised bill that lists each item of work that has been done and the amount charged for each item. Reviewing an itemised bill might help you to work out which part(s) of the legal costs you may be unhappy about. Your lawyer cannot charge for preparing the itemised bill. However, it is possible that the total amount of the bill may increase once each piece of work is itemised.
Part 3
Costs mediation
Costs mediation may be formal or informal, and provides you with an opportunity to discuss your concerns with the assistance of an independent facilitator. Mediation is generally a quicker and cheaper alternative to costs assessment. Mediators cannot give legal advice during the mediation, and cannot decide on the fairness or reasonableness of the costs.
In NSW, your lawyer can be required to participate in costs mediation. Contact the Office of the Legal Services Commissioner or the Law Society’s Dispute Resolution Department for more information.
Part 4
Costs assessment
Costs assessment is where an independent court-appointed person considers the bill and your objections to it. The costs assessor will decide what is a fair and reasonable amount for you to pay. You have 12 months from the bill being given to you (or a request for payment being made, or when you paid the costs) to apply for costs assessment. The Supreme Court of NSW will only grant extensions of time in special circumstances.
You can apply for costs assessment even if you have paid all or part of your legal costs, or if you have paid them without receiving a bill. There is a fee for applying for costs
Page 1 of 2
assessment. However, if the bill is reduced by 15% or more, or your lawyer did not make proper costs disclosure, your lawyer may be required to pay the costs of the assessment.
Contact the Supreme Court Costs Assessment Scheme for details about how to apply for costs assessment.
Part 5
Setting aside a costs agreement
If you believe that your costs agreement with your lawyer is not fair or reasonable, you can apply to a costs assessor to have it set aside, in whole or in part. If the costs agreement is set aside, the costs assessor will determine the costs that are payable.
Part 6
Other avenues for challenging legal costs
There may be other ways you can resolve your concerns about legal costs. You should seek legal advice if you feel that the avenues set out above are not appropriate for you.
Your lawyer may take court action against you if you fail to pay your bill. However, your lawyer cannot start legal action against you until 30 days after giving you the bill (or 30 days after giving you an itemised bill, if you have requested one) or during a costs assessment.
Part 7
Who to contact for more information
Legal profession regulators - costs mediation and costs assessment
Office of the Legal Services Commissioner
Ph: (02) 9377 1800
Freecall: 1800 242 958
www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/olsc
More fact sheets available.
Law Society of New South Wales
Ph: (02) 9926 0333
www.lawsociety.com.au
Supreme Court Costs Assessment Scheme
Ph: (02) 9230 8111
www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/sc
Legal and procedural advice - the following organisations provide free legal advice:
LawAccess
Telephone and internet legal advice service.
Ph: 1300 888 529 or www.lawaccess.nsw.gov.au
Legal Aid Commission of NSW
If you need face-to-face advice after you have spoken to LawAccess. Look under ‘L’ in the business and government listings in the White Pages or go to: www.legalaid.nsw.gov
Community Legal Centres (CLCs)
A list of CLCs in your area is available by calling:
Ph: (02) 9318 2355 or www.nswclc.org.au
Local Court Chamber Registrars
Can give advice about Local Court procedure if your lawyer has initiated action to recover outstanding costs.
Page 2 of 2

lesson

Funny that this thread appears as we have received a statement of claim from Small Claims NSW as well

We had originally agreed to purchase an investment for our superannuation fund and advised our planner to sell shares to free up cash for this alternate investment. We signed on the dotted line for this purchase and we gave our planner a price range for shares and the market subsequently went into free fall. A number of our shares were sold but not all as they now fell out of the price range.

We called the alternate investment company (art) and advised that we did not have enough funds, however, they advised they had cashed the cheque but it had not yet cleared. We advised the cheque would not clear due to reasons stated.

We spoke to them once after that when they said what were we doing, we said nothing and we don’t have the funds free now and then ignored their calls

We now have the statement of claim and will have to make payment

We see we have signed on the contract and have looked to instigate a payment plan of $600 p/mth, but they want $1200 p/mth so it’s negotiating time and we’ll have to sell the shares at further loss to complete the transaction

Big mess but we’ve optimistically learned our lessons, xpensive lesson at $10,000.00 though

I think it's more like - you ask for a quote, or a description of goods and they send you the goods instead. Should you pay for the freight? Of course not!

Strannik,

The situation is more like you wrote but I was explaining that a contract doesn't need to be written and can be verbal like a phone order, thus the explanation the way it is written.

Triton

For curiosity can you tell us the time frame between first and second call?

I think its simple, get them to send/fax a copy of the section 32 and the searches they carried out for you. If they can produce these, at least it will prove to you they did carry out some work on your behalf

I think its simple, get them to send/fax a copy of the section 32 and the searches they carried out for you. If they can produce these, at least it will prove to you they did carry out some work on your behalf

But this means you have now been provided with the service, which adds weight to their claim.

Hi all,

triton07

I find this interesting........

About a year ago I had contact this Solicitor firm wanting to find out what is the process at selling one of my IP’s,

I contacted their office letting them know that we will hold off with the sale of the property & will get back to them when we decide to go ahead in the near future.

If the original conversation was only about "how to", then I would only ring back if I was going ahead. Why did you feel you had to ring back to say nothing is happening??
Seems odd to me, unless you thought you may have given instructions.

bye

Back