staying at a caravan park

For a month we travelled from Melbourne, up to Townsville, over to Mt Isa, to tennant Creek, up to Darwin and then a return to Tennant Creek,NT.

Every second or third night we would stay in a caravan park. Used a powered site. Costs were from anywhere $19.50 -$42 night.
(We are in the wrong business!)

What irked us, almost in every shower block there was a mop and bucket, where they actually requested you clean up after yourselves.
Only places where we didn't see this was in NT.
That's like cleaning your motel unit before you check out.
Of course we didn't...and I never saw any other caravaners do it either.

Rob decided the morning we arrived in Darwin it would be a great time to get a pinhole in his appendix, and we rushed him to the hospital. He went in, they operated the next afternoon, and he was released the next day. I wished they had kept him a couple of more days, as he wanted to leave Darwin....too hot and humid.
It took a week, but he is finally feeling better.

Is the thinking behind the mop and bucket to keep water off the floor outside of the shower to minimize falls??

Generally you use the mop and bucket to clean outside of a shower, and cleaning products, scourers and cleaning rags to clean inside one.

Honestly, I think it the caretakers of the parks trying to minimize their work.

At the caravan park where we live, they treat them as paying customers, and do not request anything like that.

Similar to McDonalds...I rarely clear my table.

That really annoys me at Subway. Any customer who is walking past the bin only has to take a few moments to deposit rubbish in bin. My staff if required to clean up have to clean hundred of tables a day. An when my staff are too busy to clean the tables other customers suffer. And I lose customers.

That really annoys me at Subway. Any customer who is walking past the bin only has to take a few moments to deposit rubbish in bin. My staff if required to clean up have to clean hundred of tables a day. An when my staff are too busy to clean the tables other customers suffer. And I lose customers.

Agree entirely

I think perhaps it's to clean up the floor outside the shower too - it's not like you take a bath mat with you - and they are hardly going to supply a bath mat either.

As to Macdonalds/food courts etc - I always clear my table afterwards. I can just imagine my mother in my ear 'are your arms and legs broken? no? then clean up after yourself'. Same rules at home - everyone in the family takes their dishes to the sink.

These words say a whole heap.

They are your customers they are of no concern to your other customers.

To me it would seem that cleaning those table and the toilets it is part of the cost of doing business when you run a takeaway outlet that provides sitdown facilities. Those sit down facilities need to be maintained by the business, not by the customers that make use of the facilities, as part of the customer experience offered by the business.

The customer is not there for your convenience.

This actually annoys me because my wife will always try and clean the table after she finishes whereas I am like Kathryn. I will even pull aside outlet staff to clean a table that below par before I sit down.:p

Cheers

I'm with you - always put my rubbish in the bin ... although I probably would only mop at a caravan park "before" having a shower if some grot had been in there before me.

To me it would seem that cleaning those table and the toilets it is part of the cost of doing business when you run a takeaway outlet that provides sitdown facilities.
Granted it's a cost of doing business.

A cost which gets added to what the customer pays.

Ever tried walking on very wet tiles in thongs (the ones you wear on your feet) :eek:.

I think lots would wear them on their feet in shower blocks at a caravan park.

There's nothing worse than big puddles regardless, and you can't expect to pay peanuts, and have someone checking and mopping down the shower block dozens of times a day.

handyandy, when a place is very cheap many of us are prepared to do this because we know putting on extra staff costs more and adds to the cost of the product.

These establishments don't want to up prices because customers who come in mostly come in because they are cheap.

This actually annoys me because my wife will always try and clean the table after she finishes whereas I am like Kathryn. I will even pull aside outlet staff to clean a table that below par before I sit down.:p

Cheers

I don't see cleaning up after you have eaten actually means mopping/wiping off. All one expects is a general cleanliness. I make sure, I put my rubbish in the bin atleast!

FYI, I am not a restaurant/takeaway owner.

I don't see cleaning up after you have eaten actually means mopping/wiping off. All one expects is a general cleanliness. I make sure, I put my rubbish in the bin atleast!

FYI, I am not a restaurant/takeaway owner.

Same here, I always clean up after myself at fast food joints. And i flush the toilet after myself because I was brought up to display good manners in public.

I think perhaps it's to clean up the floor outside the shower too - it's not like you take a bath mat with you - and they are hardly going to supply a bath mat either.

As to Macdonalds/food courts etc - I always clear my table afterwards. I can just imagine my mother in my ear 'are your arms and legs broken? no? then clean up after yourself'. Same rules at home - everyone in the family takes their dishes to the sink.

Sounds like something my mother would say to me as well,something i have sucessfully taught our kids,all 7 of them.Thank you for inventing dishwashers.:eek:

I used to be like this, as at any other restaurant I'm not expected to wash the dishes!

Now, generally if it's busy, I'll take my stuff away, but if it's quiet I might leave it.

My thinking here is for the next person - if it's busy, it might take a while to get that table cleared.

It depends on how close the bin is...

In no other eating establishment are you expected to clear your own table. Now, I know that fast food is generally cheaper (not always, but mostly) than other eateries, but the reason it's cheap is because the food is fairly rubbish. I thought the trade off for the cheap food was the poor quality, I didn't realise we were supposed to pitch in with the chores as well.

That said I will clear my table sometimes, just as I'll sometimes take the empty glasses to the bar when I order another round in a pub. It's a nicety thing but I don't feel obliged. If I do, I do. If I don't, I don't.

Cleaning is not just tables. It's fingerprints on the glass, spilt drinks, dirty floors, even vomit.

So I should go into a ast food place in dirty muddy boots, put my fingers all over the glass as I order, spill the drink and make a mess over the table and floor. After all, I've paid for it.

Ones definition of what they think a restaurant is, doesn't dictate how I restaurant should operate.

Unless they're breaching some health regulation there's nothing stopping them encouraging you, or even stating they want you to dispose of your rubbish (most dine in 'restaurants' don't use all disposables so you couldn't dispose of much anyway, even if you wanted to).

I doubt you'd get told off or abused if you left your rubbish there, but at the same time you'd have to accept that you could have rubbish sitting at tables left by others who are thinking the same thing - why others think to remove it themselves.

It's their business decision to operate this way, and obviously the model works. If it didn't they would put on extra staff and more than likely charge you more.

People going into Maccas and food courts know what to expect so I don't know why those that don't accept their practices continue to go there.

Back