Steam mops - do they actually do the job well?

Does anyone own a steam mop and is it the best thing since sliced bread or is it sitting in the cupboard gathering cobwebs?

Does it actually pick up the dirt or just spread it around in a liquid form?

What flooring does it suit?

Feedback much appreciated.

Does anyone own a steam mop and is it the best thing since sliced bread or is it sitting in the cupboard gathering cobwebs?

Does it actually pick up the dirt or just spread it around in a liquid form?

What flooring does it suit?

Feedback much appreciated.

We bought a steam mop but it now spends all it's time in the cupboard. It just smears the grease/muck/dirt into an emulsion which then solidifies into the grout. After using it for a few months we had to get a team of professional cleaners in to clean the grout.

Yes to sitting in the cupboard gathering cobwebs! We used it once and it just seemed to pour masses of water all over the floor so we had to go back to ye olden day mop to clean up the mess of the modern day mop. Maybe someone else has had some success with one but not us!

IMHO best thing since sliced bread.

I am just researching another purchase. Our first one was just the steam mop. Fantastic and easy for cleaning large tiles surfaces after they have been throughly swept or vacuumed.

Our next purchase was a steam cleaner with all the attachments. This has been extremely handy cleaning the bathrooms. Gets rid of mould so easy. I especially use it for cleaning the oven and it is also very handy cleaning the grills from a rangehood.

What I especially love it for is to clean the grout on the floor tiles. Amazing how so many people get used to having black grout. I spray the grout with SHOWER POWER (I find it works the best for this job) wait a couple of minutes and then hit it with the steamer. Good as new. You do need to wipe it up with an old towel, while still wet, otherwise that lovely grease and grime will dry and you will need to do it again.

When I am wealthy :rolleyes: (AND I am happy spending $1000) I will purchase a Eurogem 4000. They seem to be the bees knees of steam cleaners.

The last one was purchased about 5 years ago for around $80 (on special). I will let you know how the new one (whatever it is I purchase) goes.

Sunshine

Our last place had about 150m2 of tiles downstairs and my wife loves her kenwood steam mop. I was concerned that it might damage the tiles as they were the large format vitrified edge semi polished type but no problems at all.

Hi Goanna :)

Depends on what type of tiles you have. Smoother OK textured hopeless. I don't use mine anymore as I find the manual type faster but in my last PPOR it was great.

We bought a steam mop but it now spends all it's time in the cupboard....

Same as ours, in company with the 'ab-shaper', vegetable slicer and my wifes hair straightener. I reckon I get better results with the old mop and bucket.

Phil :)

Vacuum/sweep first then mop, so they arent too bad when the mop goes over them I guess

I would like to say they are cleaned regularily but cant (as floors is one of "my" jobs)

Back