Still no tenant - life looking real dim. Pretty miserable

If you put the addess in it should appear on the map in the right place. If the location is great you should be selling that aspect.

I think too much of the wordage is spent explaining the various rental options rather than selling the home. Why not available furnished or unfurnished. Rent negotiable depending upon lease length and tenant requirements. Also tenants have to bring doona, sheets. pillow etc? Are toasters, plates, knives forks etc supplied?

The great location would be the main point?

What else is is located near? Shops? Transport? Educational institution.

If you are worried about how it looks small then say so. Supply a floor plan?

What did agents say about your student rental plan before you set it up?

that's why I think you should buy in your own area....

Could you go on weekends and have an open house?

Go to the local employers and ask if you can put some notices on their bulletin boards for their emplyees to see?

Advertise as Dog friendly in the newspaper ads.

Call the PM and pretend to be a potential renter. See what type of response you get.

Last edited:
Thats correct. If you don't have an address in the ad or try to hide its location you will be attracting the wrong people anyway. People who will not go ahead when they do learn of the address. So keep it in.

Can you divide the house into 2 or maybe 3 flats and rent each at a lower price to attract more prospective tenants. Widen the net so to speak.

Your problem sounds like lack of rental demand, whether at your price point or overall i'm not sure.

And theres not much you can do about lack of demand. Failing all the solutions put forward and ones you have tried. I'd put it down to experience and sell it. Gonna be a thousand years till you see any substantial growth out there anyway. Life's too short.

As a renter, I would hate having to deal with the agent to get address etc. If the address wasn't listed, I would automatically take it off my shortlist.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Could you try including bills, etc? E.g. rent by the room for $150 pw week, electricity, gas, local phone calls, etc. all included?

You could also try advertising in the Central Western Daily. That's the local newspaper in Orange. Orange is 56kms from Bathurst and has a bit of a rental squeeze going on at the moment. Long shot, but maybe there might be some folk in Orange willing to consider commuting from Bathurst? It's a pretty short drive in country terms.

I have just sent them an email about it...I noticed that at the beginning but didnt want to pick them up on things too much.

deary me

Its not very attrractive from the outside and so I have been hesitant to have the address actually listed on the ads - I have reuqested the agents just try to get inspections becasue its a case of inspect to appreciate. It also looks very small from the outside - so deceptive.

deary deary me.....

what was your original strategy with this one Peta?

Sounds like you need to get in there, be a bit more aggressive and get things done as you want them! :D Time for mucking about was well and truly over ages ago.....

I think photos are important- and yours aren't wonderful (though I've seen much worse). Get rid of the main one with those white chair covers - is this Grandmas house or something? It sure looks like it.....The second pic is much better. The ad presents an image on an old dodgy house if you ask me. Why show photos of a room with toilet pipes hanging from the ceiling, old fashioned basins, toilets, etc etc ???? Do you think these are going to help people want to live in the place? You are advertising, not documenting the rooms of the house! Do toyota advertise with photos of ash trays in their cars?

You've probably been working on this for a while and starting to feel rather discouraged (and stuck in rut). Do you know anyone who a) you trust b) is competant/experienced in advertising/selling? It might be worthwhile stepping back for while and handing this over to someone else, with a fresh outlook, to have a crack at getting this place occupied. Theoretically it is your pm's job, but some other help may be needed.... Either that, or back to the first line - get in there and get things done the way you want them.

Back