strata renovation - fire code compliance

We are looking at performing some renovations to a strata unit.

Including kitchen wall removal, new kitchen benches/appliances, lighting.

Raised this renovation plans to ExComm at last General meeting (I am one of 4 on this ExComm btw) and the secretary said that he would like to make sure that the renovations comply with the fire codes.

This blind sided me a bit, as I have got structural engineer report, builder quote and preparing for submitting to council for DA under a comply development - and no where along the way have i become aware of needing to comply with Fire Codes specific to my unit.

Obviously i understand that a building must comply with fire standards, and this needs checking, but i don't understand how it is relevant if an individual lot wanted to update their kitchen (outside of the wall removal) having to get a fire inspection done.

Could anyone point me in the direction of some info on this? I have the feeling it may be a stalling tactic from a notoriously slowballing secretary.

Cheers, Jacob

ok, just got some further clarification from the Secretary. To quote:

"Our bldg was built under Ordnance 70 auspices, before BCA was enacted. Any structural change will shift us from Ord70 to BCA rules/requirements, requiring far higher expense in achieving compliance."...

Latter in the email he stressed not to talk to anyone regarding fire regs, until we have further instruction from the new strata management firm.

This is NSW btw

Does this sound legit and correct?

Generally, by submitting a DA you will trigger a requirement for compliance to current standards for the entire building. If this means the rest of the building will need to be upgraded then everyone will need to contribute to special levies to cover the costs :eek:

The upgrade works will most likely include: replacement of entry doors & jambs to 90/90/90 (or at least 1 hour at the minimum), installation of illuminated exit signage, possible hose reel or hydrant installation/relocation, installation of 'monitored' smoke alarm system & FIP etc.

The demolition of a wall (loadbearing or not) is deemed to be 'structural building work' - this is the element which will most certainly trigger a BCA upgrade.

You could talk to council anonymously re what would be required in your situation if you did as planned - detailing age of building and construction etc. (But not if yours was one of very few such buildings in the area :eek: )

But it is possible the secretary has been exposed to these sort of issues before and is on top of the situation - asking him some questions should confirm one way or the other.

In our area we are well aware that any change to buildings requiring a DA/ or complying development is likely to result in the council requiring the entire building to be brought up to current building code - glass, railing heights, fire safety .....just for starters. Our mission is to keep our head down, like most other blocks not built in recent years. :cool:

P.S. In the meantime Scott has said the same thing!

Last edited:
Ditto all the above replies,
we renoed an 1880s building and the firecoding was , large , and the relevant Act changed during the reno, we had to do part of it again
the secretary seems switched on

ah it is all making more sense now, thanks everyone for the info.

I will make an anonymous phone call to council to get some further info/clarity - but will talk in general terms (as if i was considering buying in the area). Definitely sounds like the upgrades wont be cheap, so yeah sounds like the Secretary is very keen to avoid this.

I see what you are saying Vaughn though also. Implies that there will be no building works triggering compliance for ever into the future...this is also not in the interests to the block. Not to mention the fact that the new fire codes have been enacted for a reason (they are safer). There has to be an end point sometime, so might discuss this with the secretary and see if we can enact some plans to move towards this (and share the cost).

What was the end result of your renovations? I am currently in the same situation. We have strata approval but they want us to use a private certifier to limit the potential for getting stung with the fire code.

We are pretty much ready to roll on the private process but are not sure if we should pull the trigger or just save some cash and go through council and get audited.

I am however at a bit of a loss as to why strata Excomms think its OK to continually delay the upgrade process when it will come around eventually and if you do it piecemeal it may be easier.

you can just go to a building surveyor to get some advice. i'm speaking from experience in renovating in victoria high rise and low rise apartments.

get a floorplan done first. Depending if your apartment is low rise or high rise as more than 3 stories requires a fire sprinkler system. it is very expensive to move a sprinkler and it costs approximately 800-$1200 to move on as insurance needs to be notified, fire station needs to be notified, the water pressure from sprinklers in the apartment need to be drained as well and the sprinkler systems needs to be down for a minimum amount of time so the change can be made.

Also if the walls are load bearing - you will need a permit - as damage to load bearing walls effectively can be damage to the structural of the building which can cost heaps.

if you did not remove the wall - anything comestic should be ok to go ahead without consent from the owners corporation.

Reno Update: Just proceed with Kitchen, Bathroom, flooring, skylight reno - without moving or touching anything structural.

I ran all this past/and got approval from the exec. committee, after I was told to not request approval for any structural changes.

Melbournian - I think owners corp. can always have veto rights?

Thiso - Def. agree, all owners corps these days should really be putting away (atleast) something to having fire codes upgraded. This particular Owners Corp has just been through multiple special levies to cover costs of superfluous building upgrades, so this it seems is their priority atm.

Well - most owners corp usually allow comestic renovations and anything non-structural. For structual stuff -they would require some reports etc to be done. however smaller owners corp in smaller buildings which have owners on the committee tend to be more picky and troublesome and sometimes get the feeling of "power trip " etc.

i'm assuming the property is of older character types where all the walls are structural brick etc so wasn't suprised the owner corp did not approved it.

i would just leave the walls as it is - taking down structural walls is an expensive exercise, you need structual engineer's report, beams put in etc. insurance reassessment etc.

Back