Strata title - What can you do to improve a property

Hi guys

I own a 2 bdrm villa unit which is on a strata title however was looking to undertake some improvements.

So was seeking the forum's advice if I would require approval from the other owners within the block and how difficult it maybe for me to get them thorugh.

My villa is at the front of the block. It has its own front yard (ie. all fenced in) and as part of that yard has its its own driveway with a garage (ie. attached to the villa) but a very small court yard.

Then there is another driveway to the right of my yard which is common property and all the other villa's are located off that driveway. (ie. 4 other villa units)

Given that the courtyard is really small we were considering knocking down our garage and incorporating that space to make the courtyard bigger. As a replacement for the garage we thought of building a carport in the driveway in its place.

Also the villa is located very close to the beach and if we added another level would definatley have water views which would be fanatastic

So I was wondering if anyone within the forum could offer me any advice as to how difficult it maybe to obtain approval for such changes given its on a strata title.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Back