Strata unit, service co.owns common land

I am looking at buying a 2 bed. strata-titled unit, the common land(gardens, lawns driveways etc. ) are owned by a service company with each unit owner holding equal shares. Can any body see any pro's or con's to this setup or suggest any questions I should be asking?

I will also be seeking legal advice.

This is a stratum title unit

Stratum Title Units
In a stratum subdivision the building is subdivided into lots, with common land, i.e. driveways, stairwells, gardens being owned by a service company and appearing on the subdivision as an additional lot.

Stratum units are regarded as unattractive because of difficulties and complexities involving the operation of the company, Corporations Law obligations, and a reluctance on the part of lenders to accept them as security.

Each lot owner holds a certificate of title for their lot, together with shares in the service company. The lot owners enter into an agreement which governs matters concerning owners' responsibilities and contributions to the operating expenses associated with maintenance of the common land.

Purchaser intending to obtain finance for the purchase of a stratum unit should first check with their lender to ensure that the unit will be accepted as security. Purchasers attending auctions are often at risk because there is little opportunity to have the Section 32 Vendor Statement checked by a lawyer, and they may be unaware that the property is a stratum unit!

Back