Streets to avoid in Blacktown, Seven Hills and Doonside

I see posts quite regulary on ss,as streets to avoid............does it really matter??A personal example,bought a semi duplex in a low socia area,on one title returning $500 pw,buy in was $265k bought recently, changed to Torrens title each adding $30k to each overnight.
Rents never been late,garden is kept tidy,never have any tennant issues."dont judge a book by its cover"Too true"

Your situation would be considered different as you are making changes to immediately increase the value of the property by single title.

Whereas just purchasing property in ideal location / best street possible for suburb.

Would someone like to comment on these streets (I shortlisted them to inspect tomo):

61 McCulloch Road, Blacktown
54 tara road, blacktown
9 Maree Place, BLACKTOWN
80 Mort Street, BLACKTOWN
60 Robyn Street, BLACKTOWN
87 Lyton Street Blacktown, NSW, 2148
6 CRAWFORD ROAD, DOONSIDE

Would someone like to comment on these streets (I shortlisted them to inspect tomo):

61 McCulloch Road, Blacktown
54 tara road, blacktown
9 Maree Place, BLACKTOWN
80 Mort Street, BLACKTOWN
60 Robyn Street, BLACKTOWN
87 Lyton Street Blacktown, NSW, 2148
6 CRAWFORD ROAD, DOONSIDE

Hi Dream

Lucky I have a little spare time to help here :)
Here's my thoughts numbering 1 through to 7:

1. West side of BT less well regarded but OK street. Not much HC in this actual street but go for a drive to streets backing- Pank Pde and McClean St to see what you think. Lots more HC housing here. Also a long hike to the station.

2. Still west side but I'd be concerned being next to open space here. Street itself OK.

3. Scattered HC stock in nearby streets (eg Tulloch)

4. My pick of the bunch but this is a small and fairly unattractive house- 2 beds wouldn't be my first pick but good value for money in this part of BT. Choice of streets well above all others here.

5. About 40% HC stock. Not the nicest street in between 1 and 3.

6. Too busy to consider.

7. West side of Doonside closer to station and not in an HC area. I'd prefer BT for location given train timetables but be interested to see how you go here. Expect to pay less than BT overall.

Happy hunting and enjoy your Saturday! Hope this has helped a little.

Your situation would be considered different as you are making changes to immediately increase the value of the property by single title.

Whereas just purchasing property in ideal location / best street possible for suburb.

My point is the streets not that flash,but its a good little cash cow.Personally,i wouldnt live there,but its always popular and leases(both) quickly.
Trying to disect whats good,whats bad............the world changes every minute!!!!!!!!!

My point is the streets not that flash,but its a good little cash cow.Personally,i wouldnt live there,but its always poular and leases(both) quickly.

100% agree with that.

Of all the house ive looked at in person and on the net I would probably only live in maybe one.

It definitely has to be a commerical decision, it is an investment after all.

Thanks Jacque. That helps. I will stick to the Mort street side of the blacktown then.
I even considered Doonside cos it was 1214 sqm and around 400K mark.

Had a loooong day inspecting the above mentioned + many other properties over the weekend. Looking/waiting at the streets did not give much idea about it being 'good'. However, streets in south blacktown did seem to be more expensive and the agents calling them 'better' than rest of the balcktown.
Two of the properties that I would like to consider are:
54 tara road, blacktown (can nego to 390K)
9 highview street,blacktown (cant get them below 425K)

Any views on these properties?

On a separate note, I had one of the agents suggesting this property in west ryde:
70/20 Herbert street, West Ryde (advertised at 475K, but I hopefully nego to 445K)

From an IP perspective, what would you guys suggest out of the three properties?

If you are trying to make the comparison between a house on land in Blacktown or a unit in West Ryde - see the attached chart.

If you were making the decision 15 years ago and only on the basis of CG, then the best place to choose was the Blacktown house. Now, what's your best guess for the next 15 years? ;)

Attachments

• BlacktownHouseVsWestRydeUnit.jpg
    BlacktownHouseVsWestRydeUnit.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 199
The trend looks similar. I read somewhere on SS about investing in West Ryde. That is why I am even considering a unit.

My best guess is for not even for a year!!
Isn't the world going to end in 2012 ;)

Hey guys,

I have been advised to look into areas like Bidwill, blackett (basically Mt Druitt suburbs) for investment purposes to get a 7% yield on the IP.
I saw an IP on devaney street, Blackett for around 220K and potential rent is around 280-300 pw.
Can someone advise regarding this.
Is it OK to ask this in the thread regarding blacktown or should I start a new one ??

Hey guys,

I have been advised to look into areas like Bidwill, blackett (basically Mt Druitt suburbs) for investment purposes to get a 7% yield on the IP.
I saw an IP on devaney street, Blackett for around 220K and potential rent is around 280-300 pw.
Can someone advise regarding this.
Is it OK to ask this in the thread regarding blacktown or should I start a new one ??

I live in Mount Druitt, about a 5 to 10 minutes drive from Devaney St, and I'll say that it's worth considering for the yield but just take a little bit of extra care with tenants (and the NEIGHBOURS!). But it's definitely not worth ignoring it because of the stigma - I know plenty of decent renters out this way (several of us saving with cheap rent to afford more IPs!).

Most people investing around here do so to put a granny flat on to push up to the realm of 9 to 11 per cent yield. I have a bit of a thought that maybe there's a granny flat "oversupply" though?

Cosmetic renos work great here too.

If possible, look closer to Mt Druitt station. More chance for cap grth etc I think.

I still prefer house on land in Blacktown than a unit in West Ryde. That's my personal preference - I just tend to go for house and land due to the many kinds of investment potential to add value to it over the long term, and I don't like units that come with the added cost of strata.

But when it comes to capital growth for the next few years, I'd first look at whether the proeprty stacks up in the numbers for beign positive geared. Once it does, then I look at the capital growth prospects as my second criteria.

I drove past Reservoir Rd Blacktown and noticed they cleared a hugh block of land (Reservoir Rd cor Great Western Highway). They also added new sets of traffic lights. Is this a new residential or industrial estate?

I drove past Reservoir Rd Blacktown and noticed they cleared a hugh block of land (Reservoir Rd cor Great Western Highway). They also added new sets of traffic lights. Is this a new residential or industrial estate?

It's industrial and known as Huntingwood- nothing to worry about impacting on resi as it's wedged between the highway and M4

Becharry Road Blacktown

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could give some insight into whether Becharry Road Blacktown is a good street? I have read some of the posts about Blacktown West being not as desirable and even saw the dated map where it clearly marks Becharry road as one to steer clear of but just wanted a more recent review. Really appreciate any help :)

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could give some insight into whether Becharry Road Blacktown is a good street? I have read some of the posts about Blacktown West being not as desirable and even saw the dated map where it clearly marks Becharry road as one to steer clear of but just wanted a more recent review. Really appreciate any help :)

A number is needed here.... Becharry Rd is ok in parts in MHO but we require more information.

Back