Subdivision numbering

we live in Victoria, Kingston council area.
Decided to build a semi-detached dwelling at the rear (i.e. second unit).
Our mortgage broker said we should ask for the new dwelling number be 9A, not 2/9, because this way the property will cost more.
How can we ensure to get the 'right' numbering? What rules the council usually follows? Whom would we need to talk to?

(I am sure this subject is done to death here, but no answer is coming up under subdivision tag.)

From a resale point of view it's better to be 9A than 2/9 as the latter sounds like an apartment rather than part of a duplex.

From a resale point of view it's better to be 9A than 2/9 as the latter sounds like an apartment rather than part of a duplex.

That's exactly where we're coming from in trying to obtain 9A number.
What would be the easiest way to achieve this?

they can be a real pain - i have a beachfront property that I subdivided and it was a corner, council has a policy of adopting numbers from the secondary street not the front street, so i lost my beachfront address! I am going to use it anyway, the parent strata title is still that address

As said, check with your council. There will be a standard way of numbering subdivisions such as yours, you probably won't be able to just choose your own way of numbering.
Marg

I have a corner block with granny flat that im subdividing. Will be interesting to see what numbering they will go with.

On that note do G Flats get a number or is it more unofficial ???

My set up is

House number 60
Flat 60/ Flat
No mail issues with this.

Actually being a corner block i will probably adopt the side streets number for the new house.

I wonder how the neighbours i have already p##ed off are going to feel about that :rolleyes:

With the local council I used to work for it was the rates department that was in charge of numbering so I would start with them to see how they work out the numbering.

Back