Submains cost p/m

We are finishing up a Granny Flat build in Newcastle and unfortunately used an extremely incompetent builder.

He has just provided us with a massive final variation invoice which includes extra 26m of submains electrical connection @ the provisional cost of $55p/m, plus 20% builders margin. The original quote in the contract was for 11m, ended up at 37m! :mad: (Granny flat is built right next to house, switchboard is on wall furthest away from flat but house is raised and has clear access under).

My question to any sparkies/builders out there is: Is this a reasonable cost? There would have been approximately 2m of underground wiring, rest would have run from house switchboard through the roof and down a wall.

All I have been provided with is an email from the electrician quoting the amount of submain cable used.

Last edited:
Why did the builder gave you this as variation?
From the info provided, it is no concern of your, so long as you did not ask for change to the design after contracted.

I am concern of this 26m of extra wiring. It's his fault that he can't price a job ( provided you're not on cost-plus)

On your question of price, it's about right

You should always do the demand calculation yourself and check the meterage requirements.....one of the big expenses.
Builders miss these details often.....just quote low enough to get the job.

You will need to check your contract carefully to determine who pays...

But it needs to be done.

The main connection probably needs upgrade to allow for the extra load from the GF.
That price is maybe from the power connection to the street onwards...?

Price is about right - I paid $2150 for @35m with new switchboards.

Peace of mind and no future power issues.....on either house.

If this is just a variation for cable then I think its on the high side.

You are already paying for 11m of main cables to be installed, so fit off and original labor should not come into it.

You should only be paying for the extra cable and time to install it.

Next time make sure you have supply and install of cabling for sub mains in as a job.

Don't have it in per meter as have no leg to stand on if the builder miscalculates the cable run.

Dave

Thanks for the replies everyone. Power pole is located right next to switch in main house so I don't think it would be much to upgrade main house. There was no new switchboard for the house.

I was under the impression extra costs had to be given in writing. Can anyone confirm this is the case for PC items?

Considering there is only 1.8m of underground cable (which was hand dug) I think the price is ridiculous. I also have not seen an invoice for this. It adds a significant amount to our variation costs and there is no way my husband will agree to it without going to mediation as we have had too many issues with this builder and it seems like he is just trying to screw us again :mad:

Back