Suggestions regarding Bathroom Renovating in melbourne (3020) IP

Hi,

I have an IP in sunshine north melbourne. I feel my bathroom needs renovating so that I can attract better rents in the future. It is a 45 year old house. I have attached picture of my bathroom. I don't want to spend too much though. Any suggestions on what I can do & whom I can contact in the area & how much it might cost?

Cheers,
tamu

Attachments

• 28Dunkeld-bath.jpg
    28Dunkeld-bath.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 118
Hi tamugrg,

It depends on what you mean by "don't want to spend too much".

I think you have a few options ranging in cost:
1. Just to get rid of the blue tiles and blue bath: Paint the tiles with White Knight Tile Paint. Paint the bath tub with 2 pack Tub & Tile (also a White Knight product). All up about $200 worth of materials and your own labour.
2. If you want to replace the vanity - go ahead, for under $500 you can get some pretty nice looking ones. Auction places like ebay, Grays Online or some of the auction houses.
3. Replace the wall tiles and bath with white ones, leaving the floor alone (it looks OK to me).
4. Get a quote from on of those mend-a-bath places that will respray the whole thing in white.
5. Rip it all out and replace, especially if it is leaking / waterproofing failed (which it often has after 15-20 yrs). Total $5-8K if you project manage it yourself and do none of the actual trade work.
6. A bathroom company will charge about double that to do everything.

Cheers, Alan

If you dont want to spend too much, I'd be inclined to leave it for now. The room looks functional, and at present that is more important than the look.

Cheaper options, paint the tiles.

Slightly dearer option, replace tiles (can get nice cheap tiles from the tile liquidator at Port Melbourne for around $15 metre.

The bath, could be recoated white, which isn't that much of a cheaper option, as on-par with the cost of putting in a new bath from bunnings (100-150) and paying the plumber to refit (its probably galv pipes, so will need to be upgraded (easily enough done with the bath out)).

I do most of my reno's myself, getting people in to do the trade work whilst I source cheap materials and do the painting. A lot will depend on what your planning on doing yourself, what you can get others to do etc. Then how much you want to do for now....

There are heaps of cheap options available, but then you have to look at if they will actually increase rental in the future, or give you something slightly different, but no better than what you already have.

Back