sunshine vic?

Hi Altonz, I'm a big fan of Sunshine (3020 postcode) for the following reasons
-proximity to city and comparitive price
-infrastructure, public transport, shops etc
-the large scale investments and developments going on

Reputation is a problem but slowly improving and the continous increase in values/rents is helping.

Sunshine though is like a mini city with some areas such as Chapman street having low values while other areas like Parsons street having high values. West Sunshine is not an option to me because it is too remote and poorly serviced.

I plan on buying another development site around August and would like to do so in Sunshine. Depends on the numbers though and development sites have increased by around 20% or more in the last year so the whole area may be priced out.

In that case, suburbs like Altona North would be a better choice.

So in summary - the 3020 area is great and getting better BUT becoming very expensive and may quickly get to the stage where other suburbs are preferable numbers wise.

What are people's thoughts on Ardeer compared to subshine? I understand the train is a V line compared to stations such as Albion and sunshine. Prices are more affordable and might be an option for people currently being priced out of sunshine

I'm also eying the Sunshine area with view of buying a long term IP and wanted to know if there is much perceived difference between Sunshine, Sunshine North and Sunshine West.

I'm looking to spend mid 300s. Interested in people's views of these places as a yard stick...

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/VIC/Sunshine-North/?adid=2010261481

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/VIC/Sunshine/?adid=2010766733

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/VIC/Sunshine/?adid=2010854391

Lastly, why do so many places listed for sale (not auction) in Melbourne have price guides on them instead of a straight asking price? In Sydney, if a house is not for auction then they'll show the asking price. Am I missing something with Melbourne house prices?

Cheers,
Dave

Ardeer will have a zone 2 station soon when the Regional Rail Link completed. However, it is quite boring suburb when no major nodes and investment to push up the scene. Albion is better choice and not too pricey as Sunshine.

The third link from Dave is an Albion property at boundary with Ardeer, however it is not recommended as the nearby high vontage line over backyard.

Talked to some locals, they rank the Matthew Hill areas on top, then Sunshine centre, Sunshine North is quite ok but scare of Sunshine West. A small stigma inside a big stigma to great Sunshine.

There are two main stations in the areas, and councils are pouring money to upgraded Sunshine centre. Obviously it is wise to pick something as close to the heat as possible.

Just my 2c.

Oscar,

Whittlesea(Thomastown, Lalor) Vs Brimbank(Sunshine, Albion)

For a 600-700m2 block, keep the front, build 1-2 units at the back.
Build now or keep 1-2 years then build

Which of those council/suburbs would you prefer to build? Which one would achieve higher returns would you say?

Higher returns now is going to be dependent upon your buying skills and finding the right block to develop. So picking the suburb comes second. All else being equal, i would be buying in West Footscray and Maidstone before buying in Sunshine/Albion for growth down the track. If you're going to build and sell all of the units then doesn't matter as much; just make sure there is demand for what you're building at the time.

Lalor/Thomastown is ok as well, just like many other suburbs. Remember it's not purely about the numbers. You gotta sell the things to realise your profit!

I cant see how wrong you could go based on proximity to CBD, Infrastructure - It is a no brainer as the area is already got a much lower base start than the suburbs within the same distance to the city - It may be but ugly now but it wont stay that way - So if your patient and can hang in there longer term you should be rewarded. If you buy within the normal rules of investing - location price etc.

I was talked out of buying in Sunshine a few years ago as it has a stigma but from looking at the prices now the growth looks healthy and cant see why it would not continue - unless the council really screws up the development of the area.

oc1 is right if possible buy west Footscray and Maidstone first if too expensive buy Sunshine or Albion.
I chose Sunshine over Braybrook after attending 3 mths of auctions in Braybrook that was back in 2000. I was put off by the number of housing commission units in Braybrook. Perhaps it did not matter too much.
Anyway I bought quite a few in Sunshine and I can see a lot of business activities along Hampshire Rd this last 3 years.
I still believe Sunshine worth investing although the rent is not great., avoid sunshine west.
I have already made my money,;) for new comers this is the second round.

This doesn't directly apply to Sunshine - but Sunshine is one of the areas we've been keeping an eye on. We've been focused on buying and renovating as our entry into property - but I want to assess all options first.

Buying land + building is another option (and also qualifies for the FHOG - which is nice) - but all the land around Sunshine (essentially all the land I can find, including up to Werribee etc) has a hefty price tag on it because it allows development of multiple dwellings (some approved, some STA). My question - is this a general rule, or is there somewhere I can find areas of Melbourne that don't allow development to single blocks, apart from one house (as in a map)? I have a feeling that might make land cheaper - if it exists?

I'm also eying the Sunshine area with view of buying a long term IP and wanted to know if there is much perceived difference between Sunshine, Sunshine North and Sunshine West.

I'm looking to spend mid 300s. Interested in people's views of these places as a yard stick...

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/VIC/Sunshine-North/?adid=2010261481

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/VIC/Sunshine/?adid=2010766733

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/VIC/Sunshine/?adid=2010854391

Lastly, why do so many places listed for sale (not auction) in Melbourne have price guides on them instead of a straight asking price? In Sydney, if a house is not for auction then they'll show the asking price. Am I missing something with Melbourne house prices?

Cheers,
Dave

Not sure if you've already purchased but I can tell you from my research into Sunshine, Sunshine W, Sunshine N, Albion etc, the first place you listed (Cary St) is in a really ugly pocket. The Albion place I've looked at and as someone else mentioned, it's right near the massive power lines and has been on the market for ages.

Sunshine West does have stigma attached to it but it's the area around Drinkwater. It's quite terrifying driving around there. But anything north of Wright Street is lovely with big wide streets and lots of brick homes on huge blocks.. just steer clear of the North-South running power line strip.

I am also thinking of here. If I put certain areas in from google map can someone please help and list them in preference of which one is best and work down the order to least preferred:

a- Braybrook (borders: South Rd-Duke St-Ashley St-Western Hwy)
b- Sunshine (borders:Harvester rd-Monash St-Duke St_western Hwy)
c- Sunshine West(borders:Collenso St-Wright St-Anderson Rd-Forest St)
d- Albion (borders:Western Ring Rd-Forrest St-Anderson Rd-Western Hwy)
e- Sunshine North (borders:McIntyre Rd-Western Hwy-Duke St-Berkshire rd)
f- Sunshine West (borders:Fitgerald Rd-The Avenue-Link Rd/Collenso-Forrest St)

thanks

Last edited:
My friend had an IP in braybrook - did ok, nothing too out of the ordinary, until he went to reno it between tenants and someone came along and stole all the water pipes (as in dug them up etc).....

The Y-man

wouldn't touch Sunshine with a 10ft barge poll, unless prices were dirt cheap.
This suburb is up there with Heidleburg West.

Both suburbs don't feel like its even in Australia, more like some 2nd world country, and not because of the racial mix, its the overall feeling of the place.

Not interested at all, and I don't care what the 'historical' price appreciation has been.

As financial literature is forced to claim: prior history is not indicative of future performance.

I am also thinking of here. If I put certain areas in from google map can someone please help and list them in preference of which one is best and work down the order to least preferred:

a- Braybrook (borders: South Rd-Duke St-Ashley St-Western Hwy)
b- Sunshine (borders:Harvester rd-Monash St-Duke St_western Hwy)
c- Sunshine West(borders:Collenso St-Wright St-Anderson Rd-Forest St)
d- Albion (borders:Western Ring Rd-Forrest St-Anderson Rd-Western Hwy)
e- Sunshine North (borders:McIntyre Rd-Western Hwy-Duke St-Berkshire rd)
f- Sunshine West (borders:Fitgerald Rd-The Avenue-Link Rd/Collenso-Forrest St)

thanks

a) I lived in this area in 2008 and hated it. Yes it's closer to the city but it's all ugly rentals or McMansions and I can't see it ever being a desirable suburb (but I could be wrong). Having said that, if you're keen, stay below Devonshire Rd. Between Devonshire and Ballarat is the closest thing to a ghetto I've seen in Melbourne. Similar to the Drinkwater area of Sunshine West.
b) Sweet spot. If you can afford here, do it. 4 Kathleen Crt on the market right now in this area is a good investment.
c) Nice. We are looking in this area. Don't buy on Collenso itself though. Although there is one there that's just been dropped to $375k if you want a bargain.
d) This is actually half Ardeer, half Albion. Some streets in Albion look like Seddon and Yarraville and are the most beautiful I've seen in Brimbank (outside of Matthews Hill). Ardeer is still cheap but has some hot streets (won't tell you which as we're looking here!), but steer clear of the inaccessible wedge above Kororoit Creek below ballarat Rd.
e) Another good pocket. This is the good part of Sunshine North, but again some undesirable streets (like Warwick).
f) Quieter, wide streets, sleepy retirement feel but inspections and auctions full of what look like young couples priced out of SKYF (Seddon, Kingsville, Yarraville, Footscray).

If money is no object, I would rank these: B, E, D, C, F, A. (A might actually go first but I just hate the area and think in the long run will be overtaken by Sunshine).

Ahead of all these I'd put the Matthews Hill area which is between Monash, Duke, Station and Matthews. If you can afford it!

Hope that helps.

Hi mindmaster

Hi Mindmaster!

I am looking at purchasing a property in sunshine on a large block and hoping to subdidvide and build a couple of units/townhouses at the rear. Like yourself in 2013 I currently don't have a lot of experience and would love some advice. How much did your pay for the development company to take care of it for you? and were you happy with their work?

i look forward to you reply

If anyone else has any advice or has done anything similar I would love to hewar from you.

Regards
ARG

oc1 is right if possible buy west Footscray and Maidstone first if too expensive buy Sunshine or Albion.
I chose Sunshine over Braybrook after attending 3 mths of auctions in Braybrook that was back in 2000. I was put off by the number of housing commission units in Braybrook. Perhaps it did not matter too much.
Anyway I bought quite a few in Sunshine and I can see a lot of business activities along Hampshire Rd this last 3 years.
I still believe Sunshine worth investing although the rent is not great., avoid sunshine west.
I have already made my money,;) for new comers this is the second round.
Hi

just wondering why you would avoid sunshine west altogether?

cheers

Back