Sutherland Shire

Hi guys,

What does everyone think of the Sutherland Shire? I've been looking at 2 bed units in Sutherland, Caringbah and Miranda over the past 6 months or so and it seems like in just that space of time prices have really been creeping up.

Even old 2 bed units in Gymea are going for Offers Over $420/430K

I've been to 10+ inspections over the past few weeks and there's been a lot of interest at them.

I want to buy a PPOR in the Shire but am concerned it may be silly to buy there right now, as it seems prices are at their highest and it's really a sellers market at the moment.

Would love your thoughts.

Cheers!

Hi azzae89,

I've been living in the Shire for the past 7 years - Sutherland in particular.

Prices have been hovering around that number for the last 2-3 years. Possibly even pulled back a little. Jannali and Kirrawee could possibly be good options too.

There is greater demand for places with a double-garage or garage and additional car parking.

Your strata costs may possibly be an issue depending how you feel about paying strata ... I know in Sutherland they range mostly from $700-1000 per quarter.

Be mindful of where remote garage doors are and where garbage trucks pick up from. If your unit is above or near - they just keep coming at 3.30-4.00am in the morning!

But all said and done it is about the lifestyle ... plenty of public transport options. Cafes and restaurants are plentiful.

I didn't buy there to live but did buy a quick reno and flip a few years ago.
I opted for south-west Sydney for investment purposes.

Best wishes, Ren

Hi Ren,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I'm born and raised in the bangor/menai area (24 years old) so know the Shire really well. I think cronulla and caringbah are overpriced, yet places in sutherland still have some value to be had.

How did you feel about living in Sutherland? Did you like it? I've heard a few people say there are some pockets of sutho to steer clear from, housing areas and such, any idea what the best/worst streets are to buy?

I've looked at a few in Auburn St, Merton St, and Flora St.. all seemed OK. Auburn seemed a little bit dodgy...

Thanks mate!

Hi azzae89,

I am originally from Wollongong so for me Sutherland is a little bit like the 'gong.

I personally love Sutherland; I moved away a few years and tried Revesby (bought a villa which I renovated and sold a year later for $100K profit) but I was drawn back to the Shire. I love the things that make my life easier - closeness to train station (so little use for car), shops (so when I walk home after work I can drop in and buy bits for dinner) and if I don't feel like cooking I can venture out to a number of excellent places to eat. Beach 10 minutes away ... from a safety point of view you will often see police officers walking the beat through Sutherland during the day and at night.

I've only lived President Avenue side of things closer to the shops so that is why I mentioned the noise points. I have learnt a lot about living in an apartment especially when there is so many close to each other.

Also I've been keeping an eye on DSR scores found in the YIP and API magazines available monthly (if you haven't already seen this it is towards the back of the magazines). I think the majority of places we are talking about are in the high demand - low supply arena so if you manage to buy something in these areas you will have an asset that will continue to grow in the long term. Sutherland council are putting a decent amount of money towards gentrification and general upkeep of the area. There is also a new bus interchange being built off the train station.

It really is about what makes you happy particularly if it a place you are going to live.

I hope that helps.

Ren

Hi guys,

What does everyone think of the Sutherland Shire? I've been looking at 2 bed units in Sutherland, Caringbah and Miranda over the past 6 months or so and it seems like in just that space of time prices have really been creeping up.

Even old 2 bed units in Gymea are going for Offers Over $420/430K

I've been to 10+ inspections over the past few weeks and there's been a lot of interest at them.

I want to buy a PPOR in the Shire but am concerned it may be silly to buy there right now, as it seems prices are at their highest and it's really a sellers market at the moment.

Cheers!

Hi Azzae89,

I think the Shire is a great place to buy a PPOR. It's a nice place to live and there is also potential to get growth in both a PPOR and investment, albeit moderate growth.

Good luck, let me know how you go.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,

What does everyone think of the Sutherland Shire? ...

Cheers!

What do I think of it?

I grew up there and left, its a wonderful and annoying place. I will spare you the long version. Short version: Its a place plenty of people stay put in for life and most feel very passionate about their sense of "place" there.

Is it a sellers market? Yes.

Is it about to drop? Harder to say.

Stock on market in 2232 is down

http://sqmresearch.com.au/graph_stock_on_market.php?sfx=&postcode=2232&t=1

Vacancy rates have been between 1-2% for last 3 yrs at least

http://sqmresearch.com.au/graph_vacancy.php?postcode=2232&t=1

Doesn't point to a crash.

Back