swiming pool adding value ppor?

Hi
would a pool add value to a PPOR?
We are thinking of landscaping back yard
and weather we should put a pool in.
cost of upkeep etc??

thank you

Not forgetting 3a level water restrictions in Melbourne. An empty hole wouldn't add value ;)

Under Stage 3a water restrictions can I fill my pool?
A new pool or spa of any size capacity cannot be filled. However a swimming pool or spa may be filled with alternative sources of water.

An existing pool or spa of less than 2,000 litres may be filled with a bucket filled directly from a tap.

An existing pool or spa of greater than 2,000 litres must not be filled except in accordance with a water conservation plan (contact your local water business for more information).

An existing pool or spa must not be topped up except by means of a watering can or bucket, filled directly from a tap (not by means of a hose).

Source: Melbourne Water Website....

I have read that they generally do not add value to the house. Many buyers don't want a pool as there is ongoing cost in maintenance, chemicals, running costs etc, plus loss of garden space. And for those that do, the absence of a pool is often not a "deal breaker".

BUT, if you would like a pool for yourself, then I think go ahead, you are buying lots of happy summer days! But it is probably not money you will get back :)

- Dave99

i wouldn't say a pool adds value - but i don't think it detracts either. a pool is purely a lifestyle choice.

when we were recently looking for a new ppor the property either had to have a pool or room for a pool to be installed. we had a pool at our old ppor and junior loves to spend hours splashing around with dad - and mum loves to laze in the sun/shade with a good book while watching her. so mum gets her rest and junior gets worn out - win/win.

i do notice that the older kids (late teens) might only get in the pool a couple of times a year - usually when they have friends over on a hot day - so if we didn't have the little one, we'd probably just have a plunge pool, instead of full size, just so we could get wet on hot days.

Not forgetting 3a level water restrictions in Melbourne. An empty hole wouldn't add value ;)

Under Stage 3a water restrictions can I fill my pool?
A new pool or spa of any size capacity cannot be filled. However a swimming pool or spa may be filled with alternative sources of water.

An existing pool or spa of less than 2,000 litres may be filled with a bucket filled directly from a tap.

An existing pool or spa of greater than 2,000 litres must not be filled except in accordance with a water conservation plan (contact your local water business for more information).

An existing pool or spa must not be topped up except by means of a watering can or bucket, filled directly from a tap (not by means of a hose).

Source: Melbourne Water Website....

Who drafts these laws?

You can fill a 2000l pool with a bucket? That has got to be 2-300 trips with the bucket? You would waste more water filling and carrying the bucket than you would by running the hose directly to the pool.

Typical public servant committee meeting crap if you ask me.

Who would even do these 2-300 trips when a sneaky hose into the pool in the dead of night will achieve the same thing? Do they really feel they have drafted a commonsense law that will be obeyed by people?

Hi,

A pool can add value or detract, depends on the potential market you will selling your house to.eg: If you're in a large retired community i would guess it would detract. If you're in an estate with lots of young families it could add value.

One thing, it will narrow down your available market when its time to sell your property. That could or couldnt be a problem, depending on the first paragraph.

Evening All
This is my first post into the forum and from what I've read so far this is a wonderful resource and I'm pleased to be a part of it.
At present my wife and I are building our 3rd IP and we will be putting the property into the rental pool. The property is in Far North Qld so a pool is desirable by just about everyone who lives hear, but I'd love to know whether there is a formula to determine how much extra rent one should expect, if any for providing a swimming pool. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Would depend on the area .

Where we lived in Concord it wasn't considered necessary.

North shore , if you were selling a large contemporary family home , a pool is almost essential. We had friends who ended giving up trying to sell their pool less family home about a year ago as no one was interested .

Cliff

If the market demands a pool in that area then it will add value. If it doesnt then dont bother with it. But if you're going to live in it for the upcoming years then go for it if you really want one.

It's like should you furnish your IP. Usually you end up spending $5000-$10000on furniture to get a higher rent of $30 or $40 a week. Firstly the tenant might not look after it because they dont own it and second they might not like it so you'd end up selling it for less.

Plus you should take the water restrictions into consideration too.

So remember the key words "Market Demand".

Back