Swimming Pool

What is best for a residential swimming pool (not an investment property) concrete or fibreglass?

As always......the answer is, it depends.

With concrete you can have whatever shape you like but it takes more time to build than just dropping a fibreglass shell into a hole.

We're going thru the same issues at our PPOR. We decided on fibreglass, aside from the time to build issue, the fact that we are sitting on some reactive clay soils, and I've seen other concrete around us, crack because of movement.

If you want luxury go concrete, (with a waterfall of course)!! http://www.futurepools.com.au/Concrete-Swimming-Pools-Perth.html if you want value for money go fibreglass. If you want to stay in current home for a very long time and only want the pool for about 10 years go for an above ground with a deck around it eg. http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-algester-407748437# So easy to get rid of when/if no longer needed. (Feeling a bit sorry for my 70 year old parents still maintaining the pool we begged for when we were young!! :p)

Our saltwater fiberglass pool has developed rust marks on the floor, some of which may be hair clips. I am not looking forward to having the pool re gelcoated at some time in the future.
Nick

Our saltwater fiberglass pool has developed rust marks on the floor, some of which may be hair clips. I am not looking forward to having the pool re gelcoated at some time in the future.
Nick

If there are only a few you could try a bit of wet and dry paper, get a fine one and sand the marks off. You may find it will be a slightly different colour than the surrounding surface.

We used to use tap water to top up the pool and it put a number of rust spots on our pool. I sanded them all off and now it looks like the mottling is a feature of the pool appearance :)

We had to put a water tank on the garage to use to top up the pool which cured the spotting problem. It will take umpteen years for the water saving to pay for the tank but at least we don't get rust spots now.

I like the looks of this (concrete)

Attachments

• Concrete-Pool-Spa.jpg
    Concrete-Pool-Spa.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 67
Back