Sydney - Ermington

What's the story 18 months later?

Hi guys,

I'm giving this thread a bump as I too am looking at Ermington as a possible investment suburb to buy an established house with land.

However as I live in Melbourne I don't have a clue about the general culture & prospects of the suburb.

Similar to the original poster I'm attracted by:

• proximity to Parramatta & Sydney
  • large blocks
  • entry price of $400-500K
  • some houses close to river
  • Naval Stores development

However, I view some the downsides to be:

• lack of train line
  • 2 major roads through or around the suburb (i.e. Stillwater & Victoria Rds)
  • may not be so attractive to tenants due to distance from amenities

What are your opinions of Ermington now (in 2008) & what are your thoughts about the future direction & growth of the suburb or neighbouring suburbs within the $400-500K range (e.g. Rydalmere)?

DJ

The old naval area is now called Riverwalk and prices range from $810K to $920K for free standing houses. But I think Stockland are releasing new houses in the next few months for $720+ (smaller blocks).

For investment in this area: A property brought for $780K (four bedroom, two garage) last year (march) is about $820K now with rental at $590 to $600 pw.

If you are considering purchasing an property not in riverwalk, then make sure it's on the southern side of Victoria road. The reason been is, the northern side is composed on commission housing and capital growth may be reduced.

On the southern side, a river view property (three bedroom) was auctioned for $805K a few weeks ago.

Sorry for bumping an old thread but one of my mate has bought a house in Ermington and he asked me to move in which I agreed. But there's few things that's bothering me about this - not the 'move in' part, but about buying at Ermington.

He bought it for aprox $537k and it's 4 bedroom house (another mate will live there) and basically, he told me that he bought it so that after two years - WHEN the price rises, he'll sell...I mean, is there even a chance of Ermington being developed? It's a small town - near Silverwater - and surrounded by just houses and factories by the looks of it (no offense to people who live here btw, but I'm looking through selling perspective). I'm just wondering if there's a even slight chance that within two years, the house price will even rise? Plus, with 'possible?' transportation difficulties...I just don't see it...

Regarding transportation btw - I attend UNSW and again, for people who live there, how's the transportation for people who doesn't have a car, to go to say Central Station or Town Hall? How long does it usually take? Last time I went to Rydalmere - as another mate of mine goes to the nearby Western Sydney university. Following him from Strathfield area, I had to stop at Clyde station and wait 30 minute for a train that goes to the nearby train station, which was Rydalmere and it only had one train track which I'm not sure where it goes... It certainly was bit uncomfortable but as long as it doesn't take too long, I think I can deal with it but was wondering the fastest way to get to City or even Strathfield area?

Finally, reading few posts here though it's quite old, I was wondering how the crime rate / the dangerous level(?) is compare to say, where I currently live - Burwood/Strathfield? I looked at some of the excel files on crime rate and it seemed bit similar but - reading some of the posts here, I found it shocking - with breaking in after 4 days or car damaged etc. It seems like a quite area like people say (similar to Rhodes perhaps?) and from what I hear, it's mainly 'family suburb' which would be perfect for me and my mates - as we like to live quietly (not a party animal here :D).

Sorry for dragging on and asking so many questions but I'm just curious about the area that I'll be living in. :D

Thanks in advance!

Sorry for bumping an old thread but one of my mate has bought a house in Ermington and he asked me to move in which I agreed. But there's few things that's bothering me about this - not the 'move in' part, but about buying at Ermington.

He bought it for aprox $537k and it's 4 bedroom house (another mate will live there) and basically, he told me that he bought it so that after two years - WHEN the price rises, he'll sell...I mean, is there even a chance of Ermington being developed? It's a small town - near Silverwater - and surrounded by just houses and factories by the looks of it (no offense to people who live here btw, but I'm looking through selling perspective). I'm just wondering if there's a even slight chance that within two years, the house price will even rise? Plus, with 'possible?' transportation difficulties...I just don't see it...

Regarding transportation btw - I attend UNSW and again, for people who live there, how's the transportation for people who doesn't have a car, to go to say Central Station or Town Hall? How long does it usually take? Last time I went to Rydalmere - as another mate of mine goes to the nearby Western Sydney university. Following him from Strathfield area, I had to stop at Clyde station and wait 30 minute for a train that goes to the nearby train station, which was Rydalmere and it only had one train track which I'm not sure where it goes... It certainly was bit uncomfortable but as long as it doesn't take too long, I think I can deal with it but was wondering the fastest way to get to City or even Strathfield area?

Finally, reading few posts here though it's quite old, I was wondering how the crime rate / the dangerous level(?) is compare to say, where I currently live - Burwood/Strathfield? I looked at some of the excel files on crime rate and it seemed bit similar but - reading some of the posts here, I found it shocking - with breaking in after 4 days or car damaged etc. It seems like a quite area like people say (similar to Rhodes perhaps?) and from what I hear, it's mainly 'family suburb' which would be perfect for me and my mates - as we like to live quietly (not a party animal here :D).

Sorry for dragging on and asking so many questions but I'm just curious about the area that I'll be living in. :D

Thanks in advance!

No one has a crystal ball, but I don't think Ermington is all that bad, crime rates are not nearly as high as other areas, there is a bit of housing commission so I hope your friend brought in a good street, $537k for a 4 bedder sound ok, there is a bit of development taking place in the area, I don't know of any major transport issues - sure there is Carlingford rail link that runs from clyde to carlingford - but if you live in Ermington I would doubt that you would use it - bus run regulary through Ermington to Parramatta, Ryde, City, and it is close to M4 motorway. IMO I don't think it is a bad buy but 2 years is too short of a time to expect huge capital gain - you will probably not gain enough to cover the taxes and commissions that were paid or will need to be paid on sale.

Hello,

patches of ermington have been redeveloped and continue that way, i.e. older houses into new townhouses. There is currently a stockland development on the foreshore of the river where a navy compound used to exist (i think that is still classified as ermington).

I have an IP in the area and think a lot of what was said in this thread about the crime etc is very much out of date. I believe the area was like this in the past from what i have heard, now it's just like any of the surrounding suburbs. My IP is close to some housing commission, some of it has recently been sold, however the people in these places are mainly older citizens living by themselves and pose no thread.

Transport depends on where abouts in ermington, but to get to central or strathfield you can always catch a bus to west ryde station and then your on the strathfield line so easy. It does go the long way around to central but the trains are pretty frequent during peak times.

I purchased in the area, as i see it has potential for the future. My IP is currently tenanted and has always been that way.

Cheers

opinions on dundas valley

Hi all

I'm currently eyeing a property in the Dundas Valley area and I'm wondering if it's a safe area to live in? With my budget constraints, I can't afford to look at other areas, or at older houses, which is why that property I'm eyeing is fairly new and needs minimal renovation. Appreciate all your thoughts. Thank you all for your help in advance.

Back