Sydney market dead.... NOT! New $23M record this year.

For me, Sydney ranks only marginally ahead of Adelaide in the capital city desirability stakes.

1. Brisbane
2. Melbourne
3. Perth
4. Sydney
5. Adelaide.

If it didn't have a stunning harbour, it's plentiful faults would see it at the bottom of the pile.

Clearly people that love Sydney are mental..or at least don't live here..

People are crazy if they think that Sydney is a desirable place to live, bad streets, crowded beaches, bad transport and rude people pushing through crowds.

I hate Sydney..No offence to any who may love it..

People are crazy if they think that Sydney is a desirable place to live, bad streets, crowded beaches, bad transport and rude people pushing through crowds.

Sydney spreads over a very large area so have you considered that perhaps you live in the wrong suburb?

You are probably quite young so you should know that often a place which is unattractive to some is very attractive to others.
I wouldn't live in a tropical place for example but others love it...

Traffic is the only thing which annoys me here but as with all large cities
we should learn to use more public transport.
It was good when petrol prices were high, there were less cars on the road

You are probably quite young so you should know that often a place which is unattractive to some is very attractive to others.

Thus why i wrote no offence to any that may love it.

Yes i am quite young, but i am well travelled and have seen all the major cities Australia has to offer and some. And although, you are correct, i don't live in the best area, as i said, i'm well travelled, i've seen the good, bad and ugly of many places, bad area or not, i don't like Sydney.

I didn't mean to offend, it is my personal opinion, and will remain that way, personally i rather Melbourne or Perth, and if i had a choice of overseas it would be a European country, either Italy or Spain.

From the ground

Hi Guys,

Well we all know that Sydney is now the backwater and the resource states is where all the action is. Noone thinks Sydney is relevant any more and its just dying of dereliction and disrepair under massively incompetent government. Noone in their right mind would consider buying in this has-been backwater. Well, that's the story you'll get if you listen to the nouveau riche miners with their 10 gallon hats and big plots of red dirt. But there's always another angle to the story...

Murdoch forks out $23m to head for the hills

Sydney, frankly, is magnificent. In all its neglected, congested glory it still ranks as one of the worlds most desirable cities. The harbour IMHO is unparalleled. The climate is spectacular and it is spoilt for beaches. The city has energy and exuberance and the people are friendly, well travelled and stimulating.

It may be irrelevant today, but tomorrow when the world wakes up again, and awakes to the brilliance of the premier city in the premier state, then the patience of those that appreciate its appeal will be rewarded...

$23M? Peanuts. That'll be worth double that amount in 5 years time.

Cheers,
Michael

In buying property in the Sydney market for our clients we have seen an upward movement in property prices in the past few months, even above the FHOG price point of $500,000.

i'm well travelled, i've seen the good, bad and ugly of many places, bad area or not, i don't like Sydney.
I didn't mean to offend, it is my personal opinion, and will remain that way, personally i rather Melbourne or Perth, and if i had a choice of overseas it would be a European country, either Italy or Spain.

Yeah sure you have, and you also lived in Southern Europe as well (this is someone who has btw). So where and how long did you live?
It may be your personal opinion, just as mine is you ain't obviously seen nothing except for TV & magazines.
Travelling to and living are very different.
Clearly you have never lived there.

Sydney has the problems of any large international city. It has expensive property, crime, pollution, traffic congestion, etc etc.

But you can have a life in Sydney like no other city in Australia.

Especially if you live closer to the city. (I'm in the inner west. btw: Does anyone eat at home around here? the thousands of restaurants, bars, cafes are pretty much permanently busy)

That's the upside of being a big international city and i wouldn't live any where else. I love the place. And i have travelled a LOT in and out of Australia and lived in Europe. I just love Sydney!

As for the Murdoch purchase, its meaningless as far as property goes. Why did you use that as an eg of Sydney property Micheal?

Clearly people that love Sydney are mental..or at least don't live here..

I hate Sydney..No offence to any who may love it..

Guys- you can say Lil Skater has no life experience all you want but she has some good points.

(MINUS "hate Sydney", because I love the hustle and bustle and cosmopolitan feel)

TC is right - The beaches are horrible when you are blessed with local beaches that you can find a park at and can sit at least 15m away from the nearest person.

If you compare them with the beaches of the Greek Islands or Venice (laughable), then they are absolutely gorgeous and at least you don't have Italian guys in Red G-strings trying to pick you up...(now hang on...there is Manly):p

The roads and tolls are atrocious. I lived at North Sydney/Neutral Bay and Surry Hills. The lifestyle was great while young with no children. We moved away to our IP up North when I was pregnant with our first.

1. We were sick of driving for 1.5hrs to get to a surfing beach.
2. The traffic was ridiculous and I believe is the biggest problem with Sydney.
3. We needed two cars instead of one and couldn't get a park.
4. I was sick of the rude immigrants that couldn't speak English that lived in our unit block. (I guess I could have moved back to Surry Hills where I would start my day by stepping over the odd drunk outside my Apartment):rolleyes:
5. We couldn't afford the price of houses near the beaches and didn't want to raise children in a one BR Unit!

However,

I still LOVE Sydney for its

1. Cosmopolitan Cuisine
2. Mix of Cultures.
3. Theatres and Nightlife
4. Beautiful Harbour and Bridge.

Sydney had it's day for me when I was younger. Most people when they move away from the traffic could not possibly go back to it.

I believe the point is:

Sydney is great IF you can afford it. It depends on your time in life and your desired lifestyle.:)

Regards JO

Jo

You must love your present area where its 99% white anglo. I moved from Sydney to the CC 9 years ago ( but i was born there and know it well) and the mono (and lack of) culture of the place drove me crazy.Also, I found it quite racist up there and i'm as Aussie as they come.

Not to mention the limited good education choices for the kids and the lack of decent restaurants and the lack of diversity and the ......etc....etc

As for parking, its as hard to park in Terrigal as it is to park in Sydney's beaches.

I couldn't wait to get back to Sydney, now we have a house in both places. Will likely most be one in Sydney next year. And/or an IP/holiday rental up there.

4. I was sick of the rude immigrants that couldn't speak English that lived in our unit block. (I guess I could have moved back to Surry Hills where I would start my day by stepping over the odd drunk outside my Apartment):rolleyes:

yeah... very well said !

I am also sick and tired of odd looking immigrants and specially those that cant pronounce "G'day mate" with an authentic oker accent.

I say, we should build immigrant free apartment blocks or at least teach immigrants to 'relax' and show respect and courtesy to fellow Australians before they are allowed to buy a unit there.

Harris

Good onya guys - I lived in Sydney for a while and like Evand really enjoyed the inner West (I think Glebe and and balmain are inner west..)

BTW I didnt know being 'rude' was exclusive to immigrants!

Our family moved overseas when I was a small child and I came back here in 2003 to live. From the post cards, TV and pictures the image I had of Sydney was a quiet beach side, surfing type of city with laid back people like Paul Hogan, Nicole Kidman and Steve Irwin. Well unfortunately as I wrote before once, I lost all my savings of several thousand dollars so I only had around $10 left to start my life here. I pawned my guitar off and I picked up a job at a local computer shop designing their website which gave me some cash to live. I could not afford to live anywhere fancy and I had no idea what parts of Sydney were good to live at so I seen an ad in the paper for a fully furnished unit in Belmore at an affordable price. I asked the agent what the area was like and he said it was a good area, hahaha. Well I never had time to look over the area but the unit looked acceptable and I had no time to look around so I paid my bond and moved in. Unfortunately the local shops were at Lakemba or my other choice for a longer walk was to Campsie so I had to go to these places to buy my food and groceries but I must say I was never hassled etc even though I was one of the very few who looked like me :). The only times I was actually confronted here was once in the city by a white Aussie who was very aggresive and wanted to fight me and anther time by a train station when I refused to give a white Aussie guy some change, it was a chinese woman who stopped anything from happening outside her shop. So to me I just thought this was a normal Sydney town and it seemed strange there was hardly any Aussie looking Australians. I just presumed that the country was now more immigrant populated and the typical Anglo Saxon Aussie was a dying breed or the few who were still around lived in the wealthy suburbs, maybe over the bridge. Once I started to travel around the city I started to realize certain immigrants lived in favoured suburbs etc while the Anglo Saxon Aussies did seem to live over the bridge generally and eastern suburbs, western suburbs for the poor or just out of Sydney all together in beach side or regional towns. I think it's ok they bring in immigrants but why not make them live in less populated places for the first 2 years or something? It seems everyone is crammed into Sydney! Talking about crammed, the trains here are terrible at peak times, I once felt like I was in a cattle truck! I would hate to do that everyday!

One thing that I really noticed about Sydney that was very disappointing was the pollution, the litter and the traffic congestion. Actually the traffic was the most noticeable issue and it's appalling nothing is still be done to fix this in Sydney.

I also think there is too much football, booze and cheap shopping here, too many discount shops, rather see some style instead of people buying imported Chinese crap from Big W or Myer.

that's why i love newcastle - 8th largest city in australia.

it has all the cosmopoliton and facilities of sydney, the concerts, the good shopping, the fantastic beaches (and you can park within 100m), the restaurants and cafes, mixed race community for good diversity, jobs ... without the traffic, tolls, pollution and overcrowding.

i cringe every time i have to drive thru sydney - hate the toll system as it doesn't cater very well for out of towners, i swear the lanes are skinner in the multilane roads, the signposting is pretty poor unless going to the airport and volume of traffic and people is rather confronting.

give me newie any day!

You wouldn't be English would you? Sheeeesh!! Anything else?

Talking about crammed, the trains here are terrible at peak times, I once felt like I was in a cattle truck! I would hate to do that everyday!

One thing that I really noticed about Sydney that was very disappointing was the pollution, the litter and the traffic congestion. Actually the traffic was the most noticeable issue and it's appalling nothing is still be done to fix this in Sydney.

I also think there is too much football, booze and cheap shopping here, too many discount shops, rather see some style instead of people buying imported Chinese crap from Big W or Myer.

I also think there is too much football, booze and cheap shopping here, too many discount shops, rather see some style instead of people buying imported Chinese crap from Big W or Myer.[/QUOTE]

Id have to dissagree with this sentiment of to much Football booze and cheap shopping.
But i would like to add that the NSW gov relies to much on gambling revenues, when i say this Sydney has some great pubs to drink at but there is too too many pokie machines in bars and clubs and i feel that this adds to much to the type of place Sydney shouldn't be.

Yes too much traffic lack of urban planning too many tolls.

Great place to visit it fit well for the 10 years i lived there but Sydney isn't what i remember it as a younger person.

Back