Sydney market dead.... NOT! New $23M record this year.

You wouldn't be English would you? Sheeeesh!! Anything else?
Born in Australia and as someone else just reminded me, yes the GAMBLING, I was appalled out how many pokie machines are in nearly every pub, lotto machines with large ques in shops and how many people gamble in this country. It seems the Packers & co have done a good job here and the sad thing is they are treated like Royalty. Just drive around some of the slums in Western Sydney and you can see the effects of that (as well as a few other things)!

BTW did you know that a pole was done recenetly in London where they asked 5000 people if they thought that people in general were getting 'ruder'. ie they were ruder than they used to be.

90 percent of respondants said yes.

The next question was 'are YOU more rude now than you were 5 years ago?' -90 percent said No!

Doh!

Either we complain too much or we dont know ourselves very well. probably somewhere in bewteen.

Just drive around some of the slums in Western Sydney and you can see the effects of that (as well as a few other things)!

Hmmm........I live in Western Sydney. Not too many places I would call slums. Yes, there are some daggy places it's true, but honestly it pails in significance compared to some parts of Redfern. Now they are real slums.

I'm not an immigrant so I can't speak for them, but I reckon Sydney is viewed as the most opportunist city.. being the most populated, immigrants are likely to know family, friends etc.. Basically they move there because they don't know any better..
I think it's ok they bring in immigrants but why not make them live in less populated places for the first 2 years or something? It seems everyone is crammed into Sydney!
They do this for foreign doctors (teachers too?).. Not a bad idea for all immigrants I think. There's just as good quality of life in rural Australia too :)

I am an immigrant....got here 20 years ago....it was nice then....but due to the duds in labour not providing enough infrastructure it has become a nightmare to get around.

I think Sydney is now a truly a global city...and agree with people like Lil Skater...it has become rude and obnoxious.

This is not necessarily driven by immigration....but by that everyone is impatient and in a hurry and not having a concern about other people. People in Sydney are always trying to out do each other...better homes, cars, etc....and the funny thing is that some people in regional Australia are much better off.

I say this because in a recent trip to a regional town...it blew my mind how sophisticated some people were!

Having said that....prices in Australia are primarily being driven by immigration.

I think Sydney is now a truly a global city...and agree with people like Lil Skater...it has become rude and obnoxious.

I say this because in a recent trip to a regional town...it blew my mind how sophisticated some people were!

Yep, no time for anyone else, SOME (make note not all) people can be so self centred, but then again that's not just in Sydney.

But, people in regional towns do seem to be much better mannered!!

Not to mention Laid back :)

. I think it's ok they bring in immigrants but why not make them live in less populated places for the first 2 years or something? It seems everyone is crammed into Sydney!

I reckon they should keep cramming immigrants into the big cities. That's where the immigrants want to be, so let em. In developing nations, to improve your lot in life you move from rural areas to the big smoke. So if they come to Oz, they want to improve their lot in life, that's why they come here, so they want to be in the biggest big smoke. Cities are already congested and crowded, so what's it matter piling a heap more in then eh? Don't know what you'se are whinging about?

Us country folk will just take the doctors, since caucasian doctors won't work in the bush anymore, and you city folk can have everyone else. That sounds about right.

See ya's.

I reckon they should keep cramming immigrants into the big cities. That's where the immigrants want to be, so let em. In developing nations, to improve your lot in life you move from rural areas to the big smoke. So if they come to Oz, they want to improve their lot in life, that's why they come here, so they want to be in the biggest big smoke. Cities are already congested and crowded, so what's it matter piling a heap more in then eh? Don't know what you'se are whinging about?

Us country folk will just take the doctors, since caucasian doctors won't work in the bush anymore, and you city folk can have everyone else. That sounds about right.

See ya's.
I'm not whinging, just discussing it like you are!!!!! I also live out of the city now so I don't care what happens in Sydney anyway! Yes I couldn't care less if they keeping cramming more people in the city but if I was thinking about the state of the country then I would suggest to spread things out a bit more and I think it would do Australia good to have a few immigrants come into the rural towns.

Evan,

I'm disappointed you have used priveledged information and I am not posting on this thread for you to use it and attack where I live.

Also, you of all people would be the last person I would expect to be politically correct.

In regards to my comment on immigration.

Why has one comment on immigration stood out?

Here is the fact as I lived it.

How many times do you have to say hello to a non-english speaking person that lives right next door to you, before they will even acknowledge you? :mad:

How many times do you have to say hello to an English speaking person...Russian, Chinese or English before they acknowledge you?:)

When you consider that we were washing our clothes in the same laundry mat, it was really annoying. I wanted a friendlier environment and happily found it where we could afford it. :)

Regards JO

What the? I'm confused with your post!!!

I was relaying my experiences with the CC. I am not attacking where you live at all, or used privileged info on where you live, i was just replying to your post re Sydney.

Why the insult? I never insulted you directly.:mad:

Evan,

I'm disappointed you have used priveledged information and I am not posting on this thread for you to use it and attack where I live.

Also, you of all people would be the last person I would expect to be politically correct.

I'm not whinging, just discussing it like you are!!!!! I also live out of the city now so I don't care what happens in Sydney anyway! Yes I couldn't care less if they keeping cramming more people in the city but if I was thinking about the state of the country then I would suggest to spread things out a bit more and I think it would do Australia good to have a few immigrants come into the rural towns.

I couldn't agree with you more, Monsoon.

Regards JO

What the? I'm confused with your post!!!

I was relaying my experiences with the CC. I am not attacking where you live at all, or used privileged info on where you live, i was just replying to your post re Sydney.

Why the insult? I never insulted you directly.:mad:

Ok, I have re-read and may have jumped the gun a little. I've PM'd you.:eek:

Regards JO

PS: I apologise.

Sydney has the problems of any large international city. It has expensive property, crime, pollution, traffic congestion, etc etc.

But you can have a life in Sydney like no other city in Australia.

As for the Murdoch purchase, its meaningless as far as property goes. Why did you use that as an eg of Sydney property Micheal?
Hi Evand,

I know it doesn't represent the general market but it does show that, for whatever reason, some really affluent people love Sydney and like to call it home.

I started this thread to remind people just how special our magnificant, cosmopolitan, exuberant capital is. Sydney is special. It holds a special place in Australia's history and a special place in a lot of international tourists hearts. It is not just another Australian city. It is the epicentre of the universe. It is the be all and end all. It is everything that we aspire to and a whole lot more. Biased? Me? NOT! Well, maybe just a little bit...

In another thread I think you suggested I wouldn't be able to stay away from Sydney for too long when I moved North. Dare I admit on Somersoft that I was wrong and Evand was right! :D

One day I'll return and reclaim my position as a formally acknowledged member of the superior city populace once more. Until that day, giddy-up cowboy, 'ey!

;)
Michael

Sydney, sorry i cant breath and talk at the same time, just thinking of the traffic suffocates me!:(

Basting in a car for an hour or two, whilst trying to just get somwhere, is insane.

I am an immigrant....got here 20 years ago....it was nice then....but due to the duds in labour not providing enough infrastructure it has become a nightmare to get around.

This is not necessarily driven by immigration....but by that everyone is impatient and in a hurry and not having a concern about other people. People in Sydney are always trying to out do each other...better homes, cars, etc....and the funny thing is that some people in regional Australia are much better off.

Having said that....prices in Australia are primarily being driven by immigration.

The country is a hole now because kids are being brought up by parents who no longer teach them manners and make them think it's ok to treat other people like trash/with no respect.

Everyday I go to the supermarket, it amazes me how 16 year olds who work there no longer have common decency. This cultural change has got nothing to do with immigration because the rudest of these kids are often anglo saxon whites, often in affluent suburbs too, which is where I live. Which leads me to suspect it gets worse as I move towards the more needy suburbs.

Parents are to blame for indulging their kids in holidays, video games, ipods, new computers etc. Back in my parents' days, life was a lot simplier and people were generally nicer. And that's reflected by the politeness of many old laidies I've come across. Kids these days think they're the best thing god's ever created and generally just act like little ****heads.

Japan is a global country, with Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto/Yokohama probably more global than Sydney and definitely more global than Melbourne. Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto has some of the nicest/most polite people in the world, and their crime rate is as low as you can get for a developed country. It's all in the culture and, as said, many kids these days are just over-spoilt brats. If any of you have a kid, I seriously urge you to sit down for a moment and consider whether you over-indulge your kids compared to say when you were a kid.

Back