Sydney Masterclass

Is anyone on this forum attending Steve McKnights Masterclass in Sydney this month? Be nice to know the names of a few people who will be there.

I love both this site & Steves - can't get to grips with why people have preferences for one or the other they are both full of great people & good info & advice!

sparky

Hi, Sparky,

I shall be attending Steve's MasterClass on 23 Oct. Have you attended his seminar before? It is worth every single cent as I found Steve is an excellent presentor and his investment strategy does work.

See you there.

Chordq

Hi chordq

Look forward to seeing you there. This will be my first time but I know from the number of people who are not going for the first time that it will be money well spent - not expensive either!

sparky

Is it really not expensive? I just saw the Wakelins last night for $45 (2.5 hours) and will see Bill Zheng + Metropol on the weekend for $55 (full day). I'd like to see Steve Navra whenever he comes down to Melbourne (I think he charges less than $200).

Granted they are indirectly selling their services as well.

Nothing against Steve McKnight but I always find some very interesting discussion with Neil Jenman on his site: http://www.jenman.com/find/index.php?query=mcknight&type=simple&image2.x=0&image2.y=0

Last edited:
domcc1 said:
Nothing against Steve but I always find some very interesting discussion with Neil Jenman on his site
Your link was Steve McKnight- I had assumed Steve Navara in the context of your post. Just making it clear!

Hi domcc

Presumably you have also been to one of Steves classes if you are able to comment on the value for money. If not I refer you to chordq's post. Don't see the point of posting Jenmans opinions I prefer to make up my own mind. Reading Steves books inspired me to get off my butt & any piece of education I can pick up at the class will make it worthwhile. So in answer to your question no I don't consider $495 for 9 1/2 hours of learning expensive.

sparky

Hi Sparky,

No, I haven't been to one of Steve McKnight's classes. I don't know if they are good or if they are bad. $495 seems OK considering he's not indirectly selling property or services (well, maybe he's selling more 'advanced' level seminars - I have no idea).

The point of posting the link was simply to show you the other side of the coin. If you had already seen it then maybe the post was irrelevant to you. Maybe it is relevant to others? For some reason I thought his seminars cost $3000+ and if I were spending that much on anything I'd certainly like it if someone had said 'hey, before you do consider this... '.

I'm happy that SMcK's books have inspired you to take action. I've read them too and think they're good. For me, it was John Fitzgerald (with 7 Steps) who inspired me those first steps . Neil also bags this guy. I'm not some sort of 'Neil lover' - if anything I'm more of a 'John lover', but at the same time I found it interesting to see what Neil had to say about him and thought you would to about Steve McK.

Hope you enjoy the class and let us all know how it goes!

David.

Hi domcc1

Thanks for the clarification. I just didn't want a thread I had started to turn into one of those 'who is better than who' threads as they sometimes do! I'm sure I will get lots out of the day & will continue to educate myself from many sources. I must check out Johns book also as you recommend it.

sparky

G'day Domcc1,

I clicked on your link (above) out of interest, but it led me to a number of "Steve McKnight" articles. When I chose one of those, it then drilled down to another suite of articles - none of which seemed to involve Steve McK - is the link at fault?

Was there a specific link that you were wanting to display?

Regards,

Les said:
I clicked on your link (above) out of interest, but it led me to a number of "Steve McKnight" articles. When I chose one of those, it then drilled down to another suite of articles - none of which seemed to involve Steve McK - is the link at fault?
Les

Some of those links do work- those that have a link in the form ending "id=nn" do work OK.

Ahh, yeah - thanks, Geoff - that works better.....

Domcc1,

I appreciate your thoughts in pointing out a possible downside. We can all do with ALL the information. However I find that some tend to "not let the facts get in the way of a good story".

In the most poignant of those, (the Julie Straker story) it is all so sad for the family. But it needs to be put in perspective

The under-lying points (can't call them facts, as I was not there, so they are "hearsay") were that:-

1. The wrappee's costs were LESS than rent on a similar property (despite all the comments about "ripping off battlers" - this WAS a genuine chance for them to OWN a home).

2. They hadn't paid "rent" for 6 months or more, and there had been previous periods of non-payment.... Some bad times, with a genuine wrapper giving them more than an even chance to put it right (ask Yuch).

Don't know how many landlords could be reasonably expected to continue to provide housing for an unfortunate family under those circumstances - but there are those that seem to think a wrapper SHOULD !!!!! Huh???

In the original story, it was noted that Chen stole the equity to which they should've been entitled. Now, if Bank's wouldn't lend to them, there wouldn't have been any equity to steal (.... except that a wrapper gave them a shot at it). They would have been renting, and all of the "equity" comments would have been nullified. But a landlord would still have to evict them - sad, but true.

Note, too, the comments about higher price, and higher interest. Fair enough, but these exist for good reason (in my opinion).

First off, higher Interest - doesn't this come with "increased risk"? If Bank's won't lend to someone, isn't a higher Interest rate justified? Especially if their repayments are STILL below normal rent, this puts the comment about "buying for Market Price then selling higher" into perspective. By that I mean - how many places can one buy at "Market Price", upload the Interest Rate by 2% and STILL charge LESS than rent to a wrappee? So perhaps the 20% uplift charged (130k?) was the REAL Market Price (???) Food for thought.

Second, the higher price is to cover the situation where a Wrapper buys a property, spends lots of time (and Dollars) putting a deal together - then the Wrappee "comes into money" and is immediately able to refinance out of the deal (inheritance, new job with Bank finance following, lotto win, etc.) The Wrapper was only EVER going to make 20% Capital MAX. But if the price was NOT uplifted, and the wrappee was able to re-finance quickly (say, 4 weeks later) then the Wrapper has made maybe $200 for all the work (the uplift on the Interest rate if $50 per week). Hardly a fair return for weeks of work....

Always two sides, eh?

Regards,

Les said:
G'day Domcc1,

Was there a specific link that you were wanting to display?

Regards,

Yes, apologies, those first few results don't lead to any articles and thanks Geoff for pointing them out.

I wasn't really trying to point out any in particular, just general comments (rants?) Neil has on Steve McK.

I personally am undecided about wraps. If both parties are willing and benefit in some way, then prima face it seems like a good thing. It was great to hear the other side of this story (I hadn't actually read the article you're reffering to but it sounds like one where Neil talks about how wrappers are evil loan sharks that kick battlers out of their home).

While it's sad, I also find it hard to sympathise with them in this case. If I didn't pay my rent for 14 days on my place I'd be out the door quicker than you could pack my belongings! I totally agree with you 100%.

There are some posts on jenman.com where Steve McK and Neil have a discussion about wraps. Steve's response seemed pretty reasonable - he said something along the lines of that it's just a small number of wrappers that give wrapping a bad name.

For me personally, the only thing that Neil raised and that I'm still unsure about the whole wrapping strategy is what happens to a wrappee (who meets all of their payment and other obligations in a timely manner) if the wrapper defaults on their loan with the lender? The risk seems to lie on the wrappee here however if they are aware and accepting of this risk then again, maybe this is OK also.

If any pro-wrappers are keen on arguing their strategy and how this is not a problem you'll win hands down as I'll admit I don't have much experience with wrapping at all! (make sure to take it easy, please :)).

The other thing Neil has a go at Steve McK, John Fitzgerald and others about is their wild 'make $74,567 in 3 months' or '$1m in one year from scratch' claims. Again, undecided on if this is simply advertising or trickery. I mean, it's not impossible but it's also not very probable.

While sometimes I find Neil a little too strong on the 'anti-spruiker' / 'doom and gloom' side he certainly does do a lot of good work by exposing the definatley dodgy (I'm not talking about wrappers, I'm talking about European Land Sales, dodgy agents, High pressure / free flight Queensland stuff, Henry Kaye et al, etc). In an industry that has more sharks than the ocean, I welcome his take on things even if it's ultra one sided (but do not take it as gospel of course!).

Oh, BTW I thought the Bill Zheng / investors direct seminar was excellent! Some new content and certainly new angles and takes on various aspects on finance, wealth psychology and investing. He did some comparisions with the US and the UK which I enjoyed. The Micheal Yardney / Metropol presentation was also quite good. I highly recommend the seminar.

Which reminds me, Bill presented a very interesting angle of viewing spruiker like activities. He asked, if a spruiker charged you (ripped you off?) $5k in purchasing an IP for $87k in 1985, would you be upset at them? (please note - I do not condone spruiking, just an intersting thing to think about!).

The Wakelins one was good as usual, although they teamed up with a finance presentation which was just too low level for me (and it appears others as well). It must be hard to know what level of investing experience to aim these presentations at but hearing how 'you can actually use equity in your unencumbured PPOR to buy 1 IP' just put me to sleep.

G'day Domcc,
For me personally, the only thing that Neil raised and that I'm still unsure about the whole wrapping strategy is what happens to a wrappee (who meets all of their payment and other obligations in a timely manner) if the wrapper defaults on their loan with the lender? The risk seems to lie on the wrappee here however if they are aware and accepting of this risk then again, maybe this is OK also.
Dom, I was fortunate enough to accompany Steve McKnight on a Saturday when he was doing these wraps (circa 2000). In all of these dealings, everything was presented up-front to the wrappee (the higher price, the extra interest - still usually less than rent - AND the advice to take a Caveat on the property, registering the interest of the wrappee, with some of their available dollars cited as being for this purpose). That is, if the wrappee could only come up with $3000, Steve would take only $2500, and request (insist?) that they lodge a Caveat with the remainder. I also recall that any rent went straight into the mortgage (Steve was always a "wait and get TWO marshmallows" kind of guy - I'm using Jan's story about her kids here).

That allowed him to move on as mortgages got paid down quicker, thus allowing more investments - seemed to work for him (I first met him after reading his "How I got out of the Rat Race in 11 months" thread on Kiyosaki's Rich Dad forum).

Now, I'm not a Solicitor, so I have no idea just how useful a Caveat is if mortgage payments aren't made (are they then "just a piece of paper"?) As I understand them, they prevent (or at least "slow down") the SALE of a property without the wrappee being contacted.... Is there more than this - I hope so, but I really don't know, so I'll leave that to others.

In a word, though, I do believe that one individual is painting a lot of wrappers with a black brush - when MOST of them don't deserve it.

BTW, I've just finished reading a thread where a wrapper is bemoaning how he would've been MUCH better off by NOT wrapping a property. The ONLY Capital Gain for a wrapper is set up at "wrap time" - if the market steams upwards, the wrapper can not enjoy the Capital Growth that the wrappee can. BUT, the wrappers DID get +ve cashflow all the while, and for those starting out, this can't hurt... And for those on lower salaries, this can't hurt either. In the end, wrapping is just another "horses for courses" side of the argument.

Good luck to the good wrappers out there,

Regards,

Back