Synthetic Turf - Feedback

I'm considering this in a PPOR for two small areas of about 50sqm each.

Anybody had this installed in recent times? Any good?
I don't do mowing, so will this forever solve the problem of knee high grass and weeds?
Even though it doesn't grow, does it still require ongoing maintenance to keep it in good condition?
Can weeds and grass still end up growing through?
Is it difficult to clean any leaves or other foreign materials getting stuck in the pile?

Thanks for any feedback.

I installed 150sm of the expensive stuff,$110 psm 5 years ago in my new ppor.Up until 12 months ago we had 3 dogs,now only 2,all Labradors,so can get a bit messy.Weeds do come through,but not many,easily fixed with a squirt of poison or Labrador.
Still looks brand new,once a month half hour with the leaf rake.............done.Can get quite hot in full sun.Would i do it again....................you bet.

Sounds good.
Can you use a blower/vac instead of a rake for the leaves?

Is there much prep required?
I have no access down the sides of my house, it's like a terrace on a steep, multi-tiered block. Do you need machinery to prepare the area?

Thanks

We had about 60 sqm installed over a year ago. I recommend it. I have seen the odd weed and some mushrooms growing after continuous rain. Maintenance depends on where its being installed. If the area gets lots of leaves etc then yeah you will have to tidy it up to make it look nice. As Jim said, if its hot you cant really use it. For clean-up I use a blower vac and my hands. Probably once a month but then there's no trees around us.

Highly recommended, however it is not cheap. Around $100 per square metre (installed). That's for a flat install with easy access.

I had it installed in a small, 30 square metre courtyard in my townhouse about 3 months ago, and since then have spent about 8 minutes raking leaves off it.

That's the only maintenance required

We live in a holiday home area and there is a house on the new estate that has had it for quite some time. Not only in the front garden but down the length of the block on the whole side nature strip (no footpath so quite a big area) Its hard to tell from real grass and even though out in the open doesnt seem to collect dog poo or leaves or rubbish. I am impressed and considering it for our backyard

I guess the main reason it's not more common is simply the initial outlay required.
It's difficult for some to justify the cost.

But time is money, so I can only imagine it getting more popular in future as people value their limited free time more.

Back