Taking action against unethical Agents

Have you ever taken action to report an unethical Real Estate Agent?

• Yes I report the behaviour of these agents to the appropriate bodies

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Sometimes I report these agents to appropriate bodies

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I would report them if I knew who to report them to

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • It's water under the bridge, I simply take my business elsewhere

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • I deal with them anyway - their lack of ethics works in my favour

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • I haven't had to deal with an agent who might be considered unethical

Votes: 24 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There's often a lot of discussion about unethical Real Estate Agents in this forum.

What I'd like to know is whether this is simply people blowing off steam or do people actually take action to report these Agents.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Acey

You've made a huge assumption in posting a poll like this- that agents are unethical. You've left no option at all for "not applicable".

I've had an incompetent Property Manager- but I have not dealt with unethical agents.

In the absence of effective remedies, reporting agents is a futile act.

What would REIQ do? When has it done anything?

The real estate institutes in each state and nationally are the peak body representation of real estate agents. Therefore complaining to them is like complaining to your mother in law about your wife.

Also, commonly buyers or vendors are stitched up by an unethical agent without even realising it due to their lack of knowledge of how the industry works. An example of this is the buy a listing/conditioning routine but theres plenty of others including agents copping advertising rebates and charging vendors full price for ads...etc...theres plenty more.

Last edited:
I know several differences between a good real estate person and a
bad one,if you think you have relevant information to support your
complaint,then go to the REIQ,i think they will listen to you they always have with my complaints.
good luck.
willair..

likewow said:
The real estate institutes in each state and nationally are the peak body representation of real estate agents. Therefore complaining to them is like complaining to your mother in law about your wife.

Is it really worth complaining to the real estate institute? They represent agents, not consumers. Is anybody aware of action taken by the real estate institute as a result of complaint made?

How about the government bodies (Dept Fair Trading, ...), has anybody put in a complaint through them that resulted in action being taken?

Hiya LW and HS

I disagree.

While not on the same charter as the AMA for example, a body like the REIA is not only there to serve the agents. If that were the case it would a useless institution.

Being struck off the REIA register for illegal behaviour would mean VERY few agent principals would work with you.

ta

rolf

Rolf Latham said:
Hiya LW and HS

I disagree.

While not on the same charter as the AMA for example, a body like the REIA is not only there to serve the agents. If that were the case it would a useless institution.

Being struck off the REIA register for illegal behaviour would mean VERY few agent principals would work with you.

ta

rolf

Rolf,

There are plenty of example of the REIs going in to bat for agents against consumers. They represent agents and i think it would have to be a very severe breach to be struck off.

Im not sure about this because i dont work in the RE industry but i think RE agents pay a fee to be part of or represented by the REI. If thats the case it would be unlikely the the REI s would protect the consumer before the agents.

Hiya LW

Like you I dont know in detail how the REIA works. I pay an annual membership fee to the MIAA for my membership and if I stuff up, Im out the door, or the very least get a good serve with a reduction in membership status.

Who pays whom doesnt always translate into who represents whom, least in my view.

ta
rolf

geoffw said:
You've made a huge assumption in posting a poll like this- that agents are unethical. You've left no option at all for "not applicable".
Hey Geoff it was only for people who might have had to deal with the unethical ones.

Lots of ethical ones out there as well :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Aceyducey said:
Hey Geoff it was only for people who might have had to deal with the unethical ones.

Lots of ethical ones out there as well :)
As shown by the poll. That's a good percentage of people who've never dealt with unethical agents, considering how many agents most of us have dealt with- it's turned out to be a useful option.

geoffw said:
As shown by the poll. That's a good percentage of people who've never dealt with unethical agents, considering how many agents most of us have dealt with- it's turned out to be a useful option.

Or as i posted previously, you just dont know youve been stitched up by an unethical agent.

Or you know that I as an agent voted "Yes I report the behaviour of these agents to the appropriate bodies"

So in this case its cleaning up your own backyard if needed, its only happened twice in 13 years but it does happen.

I was wondering if any of our RE agent forum members have ever had to deal with 'unethical' members of the public?

Stir, stir . . . :p

Regards,

Steve

Rolf Latham said:
Hiya LW and HS

I disagree.

ta

rolf

If I had evidence of action taken by the REIA, I would have a bit more faith in the process. I haven't seen much evidence so far...

I was too green to do it when I ran across one - these days I wouldn't hesitate, for the sake of others. And THEN I'd say, water under the bridge.

geoffw said:
Is your glass always half empty?

No, its not Geoff, its actually more than half full and i wouldnt be where i am today if it was always half empty. But im a realist, no use being an optimist for the sake of ignoring reality.

Tell me, how do you protect the downside of a deal if your ignoring the reality by being an eternal optimist.

I have bought 20 properties in my life and sold 8. I have been burnt quite a few times (that i know of) until i decided to educate myself as to how the RE industry really works and boy, what an eye opener.

Most agents are only considered unethical when they get caught out being unethical. Most dont and thats because the general public dont know how the industry works and unethical agents know that and use it to their advantage.

Back