talk about thick skin !!!

"Mr Scott, however, said he was leaving "without any sense of guilt" or belief that he had failed Centro, or that he had "not discharged my responsibilities as its chief executive officer"."

This man single handedly destroyed a great aussie company and took away the retirement dreams of thousands of people, and he doesn't feel one bit guilty ?! I suspect most people have conscience, but unfortunately for the like of Scott, Willaims, Bond etc they were not borne with one.

"Mr Scott, however, said he was leaving "without any sense of guilt" or belief that he had failed Centro, or that he had "not discharged my responsibilities as its chief executive officer"."

This man single handedly destroyed a great aussie company and took away the retirement dreams of thousands of people, and he doesn't feel one bit guilty ?! I suspect most people have conscience, but unfortunately for the like of Scott, Willaims, Bond etc they were not borne with one.

Noone forced Centro shareholders to buy Centro shares. If Centro fails, investors should take some responsibility for their actions.

Do you work for Today/Tonight?

If there is a case the lawyers will be sueing him personally soon enough.

If there is no case, well, heck. Life isn't fair. Just make sure the rules are stacked in your favour next time.
Alex

If there is no case, well, heck. Life isn't fair. Just make sure the rules are stacked in your favour next time.
Alex

A law suit would just be wrong in my opinion. If my direct property investments go bad, can I sue Costello or Swan?

If the investors saw this coming, then they should have sold their shares. If they didn't see it coming, how did they expect Scott to? "Because he's the CEO" I hear you say... but shouldn't investors have detailed financial information on the company's position anyway?

I don't know the finer deatils of Centro's gearing ratios etc, but there probably wouldn't have been an issue if the credit crunch didn't happen - they would just roll over the debt again as they always have done.

Now if he went out and bought $6B worth of property on credit AFTER the crunch happened, that's a different story. But you can't hold him accountable for the rules changing once they already had the debt.

...and when you get up that high....that's all there is. Contracts and legislation.

Moral obligations, social consciences and communal niceities are the play things and domain of those amateurs who dabble in their own small world's. They have absolutely no place where these cats play.

When it gets BIG and serious, they survive and thrive in the thin air where corporate solicitors circle and "advise"....There's no battlers up there, no-one's grandmother with her last $ 3,000 nest egg, no wharfies having a fling with some money left over from giving up smoking.

They ask beforehand where the line is, and then tread that line right on the edge to squeeze everything to the max. Everything is agreed and signed off prior to any action. Nothing is a surprise. Their personal exit clauses are agreed and signed off before they come on board. As Warren Buffett has lamented - this is the only time when Board members have to step up to the plate when they hire a CEO. When the brown hits the fan it's all way too late and the payout as dictated by the agreed contract is paid out. No point B&M about it, the deal was done years ago.

The media however like to apply "normal person on the street" morals and ethics values to what these cats do. It doesn't gel and isn't relevant....but it does get everyone into a huffy and sell lots of papers.

Just on that - I saw ol' twinkle toes from HIH has been let out and also feels no "guilt". These boys play hard ball.

The take home message for me is this : Do not, under any circumstances, subjogate the responsibility for looking after your money. No one is there with any teeth (Police / ASIC etc) to do anything - despite the reassurances and reams of legislation. No one will get your money back if it is "lost" and someone was "supposed" to be looking at it while you did something else.

Advisers won't help, no matter how much you pay them.....and if you try and get your investment capital back via legal means, it'll cost you three times that in legal fees to force out maybe 15% of what you lost, after 10 years of court battles.

Bottom line - Paddle your own canoe and stand up and take 100% responsibility. This is where freehold property, owned and controlled 100% by the investor really comes into it's own.

Just on that - I saw ol' twinkle toes from HIH has been let out and also feels no "guilt". These boys play hard ball.

The funny thing about that news story was that they showed him with a couple of houses worth 1 to 2 million dollars each... trying to portray him as someone who is absolutely 'rolling in money'... however average-looking houses in Sydney cost almost that much these days anyway.

I would hardly call him rich... It's not like he's living on acreage at Point Piper or anything.

Moral obligations, social consciences and communal niceities are the play things and domain of those amateurs who dabble in their own small world's. They have absolutely no place where these cats play.

Unfortunate, but very, very true. If you are the type of person who gets worried about others, you will pretty much not survive the high end corporate world.

...and when you get up that high....that's all there is. Contracts and legislation.

When it gets BIG and serious, they survive and thrive in the thin air where corporate solicitors circle and "advise"....There's no battlers up there, no-one's grandmother with her last $ 3,000 nest egg, no wharfies having a fling with some money left over from giving up smoking.

They ask beforehand where the line is, and then tread that line right on the edge to squeeze everything to the max. Everything is agreed and signed off prior to any action. Nothing is a surprise. Their personal exit clauses are agreed and signed off before they come on board. As Warren Buffett has lamented - this is the only time when Board members have to step up to the plate when they hire a CEO. When the brown hits the fan it's all way too late and the payout as dictated by the agreed contract is paid out. No point B&M about it, the deal was done years ago.

The media however like to apply "normal person on the street" morals and ethics values to what these cats do. It doesn't gel and isn't relevant....but it does get everyone into a huffy and sell lots of papers.

The take home message for me is this : Do not, under any circumstances, subjogate the responsibility for looking after your money. No one is there with any teeth (Police / ASIC etc) to do anything - despite the reassurances and reams of legislation. No one will get your money back if it is "lost" and someone was "supposed" to be looking at it while you did something else.

Advisers won't help, no matter how much you pay them.....and if you try and get your investment capital back via legal means, it'll cost you three times that in legal fees to force out maybe 15% of what you lost, after 10 years of court battles.

Bottom line - Paddle your own canoe and stand up and take 100% responsibility. This is where freehold property, owned and controlled 100% by the investor really comes into it's own.

It is very true. I have been applying these principles to my life. Very well said, Dazling.

Have anyone forgot the ANZ new CEO's report recently? Having not started work but pocked $9m?.....

Daz,

Never directed a comment to you. But glad you stayed. I left the forum for about 6 months to a year (can't remember how long) because some people didn't like my direct approach. Well I decided who cares. Life is too short to be molly coddling every new person and investor to the board. Keep up the good solid advice. Some will like it. Others won't. In the end who cares. Welcome back. You've succeeded far more than many who like to attack you so when you look at your results then you've done something right.

Daz,

Never directed a comment to you. But glad you stayed. I left the forum for about 6 months to a year (can't remember how long) because some people didn't like my direct approach. Well I decided who cares. Life is too short to be molly coddling every new person and investor to the board. Keep up the good solid advice. Some will like it. Others won't. In the end who cares. Welcome back. You've succeeded far more than many who like to attack you so when you look at your results then you've done something right.
Totally agree. I find less so in this forum but even so from time to time some members of the forum will shout you down if your opinion is a bit controversial or if it's not what they want to hear, but I always tell may children do and say what you think is right, never mind what people think or say, then you will eliminate 90% of life's hassles.

Bottom line - Paddle your own canoe and stand up and take 100% responsibility.

I think it makes a massive difference to stand up and take responsibility for your own mistakes. Blaming others is a way of giving away your power. "Oh poor me, look what THEY did to me".

Standing up and taking responsbility for your own actions (or inaction), puts you into a position of power. Now you are in a place where you can move forward and learn from your previous mistakes.

It's sad what happened to those investors, but I doubt the CEO woke up one morning and said "WOW I'm REALLY going to get those investors, I'll make them lose all their money.." - He has a conscience just like the rest of us, he would have recognised his mistake and moved on from it. No point in feeling guilty about circumstances that can't be changed.

Daz,

Where did you go?

Just kidding Daz, good to have you back
I might be a bit biased here, but I enjoy the comments from the seasoned investors, not that the newer ones don't have things to offer (I hope that saves me from a personal attack).
But seriously, I believe there's more to gain from the wealth of knowledge of people who have been there and done that. The experience of mistakes as well as the experience of their knowledge that is shared on this forum.

Welcome back!

Back