Taming the Debt Monster - Attitudes to debt for young players

Discussion in 'Property Finance' started by Simon, 21st Mar, 2006.

1. Outback Nomad

Outback Nomad I'm kind of a big deal!

Blacky,

Had a similar problem to you.

I found that it wasn't until I wrote all my spendings down for a month or so and I saw the ***** I was spending it on that it snapped me out of it.

Pretty simple but it really worked for me.

2. Dan_p

Dan_p Member

Media:
    Im with you. Not everyone is mechanically minded and can fix other people's bombs. We had a couple of older cards in the first few years of our marriage but when the ford falcon was constantly having problems and needed fairly major repairs when we least expected it and the up-coming birth of our child we decided to buy a new car. We still have that new car (nissan xtrail) over 6 years later and economically it has been good, no break downs or problems.

The price for piece of mind.

3. jonesy427

jonesy427 Member

absolutely great post. now to try and get my brother to read it. thanks heaps for taking the time to write such a good post.

4. BMan

BMan learner property investor

wow i really liked that!
    especially since its based for the people who cant control there spending as anyone that can shouldnt be in this situation
    it might not be the best financial advice as you say to pay the smallest loan first instead of the higher interest
    but if they stick to paying it off it wont really matter what they pay off first it wont be that much of a difference overall (unless they have some terrible debt)
    i
    i actually done overtime at work until i had enough to purchase the luxuries like big screen tv and fridge etv

5. cimbom

cimbom Member

Thanks for that article. It was well written and very interesting. We're generally pretty good with saving money and save a lot of what we earn. We placed a 5% deposit on an OTP property in June but then got carried away and applied for a personal loan to fund 50% of an overseas holiday. It was a bit silly but we can pay it off quickly so thought it was OK. It should be paid off by mid-January (we came back in October). It was worth it to me as we had a very hectic few years and needed a nice break.

Once that is paid off, we will finish putting together a deposit for our first IP. We hope to be moved in by May. We will rent it out once our OTP purchase is completed and the rent should cover the repayments :)

6. Dazz

Dazz Banned

I can hardly believe it's nearly been 6 years since you posted that up Simon.

The time has certainly flown by.

7. lizzie

lizzie when i grow up ...

Media:
    Simon is currently sailing his new (for him and his missus) yacht back from San Fransico ... livin' the dream!

8. Blacky

Blacky Member

I just picked this thread back up again after about 18months. Just as an update I did what you you said, and yes it really is quite amazing what I was throwing money at.
    I still have bad months (mostly when on holidays) and I chew through money like there is no tomorrow. But hey, you only live once.

After 18months of change I have managed to survive quite comfortably (though have cut back on the number and 'quality' of my holidays) and have a nice cash balance of a bit over US$60k.

Things are slowly on the improve. Now just to shake off a couple of monkeys.

Thanks for the advice.

Blacky

9. Iowebig

Iowebig Member

Thanks Simon! Made me think about debt from a completely different angle. I am 21 and got myself into 42k of debt on a car at the start of last year and 3k on a credit card for a holiday. The car lasted 6 months as a truck driver had a lapse in judgment and slammed into the back of me, writing my car off. Insurance paid me out within a few days and all of a sudden I had 42k sitting in my bank account. Well today as it stand I owe the bank 35k for the car I don't have and 3k on my credit card. I haven't crunched the numbers yet but I know that if I stick to a plan I'm currently pretty much 2 years away from being debt free. I am in no position to invest in property but am keeping my finger on the pulse and can't wait to get into it!

10. Fox89

Fox89 Member

Huge trap for young pups, taking out a loan for a car... Seen heaps of people do it.

11. ferdinandch

ferdinandch Member

Are kitchen renovation, re-painting the house, and re-flooring the house good or bad debts?

I have never done reno before, I don't know how much value actually those reno s can add to the property value, 100% of the reno cost or more?

12. Aaron_C

Aaron_C Finance Broker

It all comes down to comparable sales.

13. tobe

tobe Mortgage Broker

IMHO if you are doing this to your PPOR, then its bad debt. If youa re doing it to your investment property, and it increases the rent, or value, then its good debt.

14. HotRod

HotRod Rental Liverofferer

So very true.

But people get persuaded and confused that increasing the value of anything by going into debt is a good thing. Not so true.

15. The Fence

The Fence Banned

But then again....if your strategy is to onsell PPOR short term then cap gains are tax free.

Works both ways depending on strategy.

We are currently spending and improving PPOR in order to build the cap val with plans to move somewhere we can hear waves crashing. Even the smell of salt air will do.;)

16. cimbom

cimbom Member

Hello,

Thought I'd post here instead of starting a new thread. Just wondering if others here can give some advice on tips/strategies to quickly pay down non-deductable debts?

We have just purchased our first PPOR. We will be moving in in 6-7 weeks hopefully. As we are currently renting a furnished apartment, it will cost us about 10k to set up. This includes furniture, appliances as well as the non-related expense of paying for my professional registration (need to pay this within 3-4 months or my qualification will expire) and basic home office setup for the associated business I am starting. I don't have this saved at present so it will all be paid in stages as soon as funds are available.

In addition, I have 11k of personal loans that I would like to pay off asap. I have just been paying min repayments so that we could save our house deposit quicker but really want to get it out of the way as it is getting annoying to keep paying.

Lastly, I am hoping we can go on a big 3 month trip to Europe at the end of next year which will cost ~10k.

What is the best way to accomplish all of this?

17. Shaneelastic

Shaneelastic Member

My simple answer.
    Earn significantly more than youspend.

BMan likes this.
  18. sanj

sanj Member

Can i be brutally honest?

-From memory (pls correct me if im wrong) you/your husband dont earn much because one is studying.
    -you have now, after a lot of searching found a place to buy but it has left you so stretched that you do not even have 10k to spend on setting your house up (let alone a buffer).
    - you still have a 11k personal loan

the last thing you should be thinking about right now is a 3 month holiday next year imo, not unless something fairly drastic changes in terms of some investment gains or big wage increases.

you need to build up a buffer and look at paying off that personal loan before you start saving for that trip, unless youre planning on borrowing for the trip.

i dont mean to be a spoilsport btw, ive just seen people get into a fair bit of trouble by not curtailing their spending ways after buying a property, all it takes is some unforseen circumstance either with the house or with one of you losing your job or getting sick and you could be in a whole lot of trouble with no real safety nets in terms of savings/equity/buffer/other investments to fall back on

fokas and Jake D like this.
  19. Jake D

Jake D Hi Vis CAD nerd.

Read mrmoneymustache.com and you'll guilt yourself into frugality.

(what an awesome typo, "guilt" almost said "quilt")

20. cimbom

cimbom Member

Thanks for the quick replies. Just as background (not that it really matters) but the personal loan was for important expenses like paying for my husband's uni (he has just become eligible for citizenship and HECS deferral) and our savings have also been quite curtailed by expensive surgery I needed to have in Jan this year. Not an excuse - just mentionibg it so someone doesn't read this and think I got in debt to swan around the world or anything :p