Tanancy Application Form - VIC and Reference Check

Hi,
These questions may have been asked in this forum before but somehow i can not find using the search function.

Question 1:
I am a self managing landlord and the property is advertised for rent as the existing tenant is moving out.
I downloaded the residential tenancy application form from consumers affiars victoria but that form is too short compared to the forms used by real estate agencies (e.g. they ask for lot more details from tenant compared to the form provided by consumers affairs).
I will appreciate if someone can provide an alternative tenancy application form which they use for their properties.

Question 2:
How do you do the reference check for tenant's employment and previous tenancy? Do I just call the reference provided or should i send them any document to fill in?

Thank you.

If you go online to any of the major real estate agencies you could download their application for tenants forms and use this as a guide.

They contain all the fields they use to background prospective tenants if that is what you are looking for.

I think they phone check employers and personal referees. Not sure if they do credit checks, that would seem a bit out of their brief.

Hi Dehgam,

You can download applications online of almost any estate agent as a guide only. But you'll need your own privacy statement to collect any information.

You just call their references and ask basic questions, usually something like -

• How long has the applicant been employed?
  • They have put their income as $xx is this correct?
  • Are they part time, full time or casual?
  • Are they reliable?
  • Would you recommend them for a rental property?

If the tenant has been leasing through an agent previously the agent should ask you to send a privacy statement through which has been signed, fax or email is fine.

I believe TICA is available for private landlord use to check their previous history, however most use NTD and if you are going to use TICA you will need another form signed to advise you use tenant databases.

Back