Tank water - who pays when it runs out

I'm just wondering what the regulations say about responsibility for water supply to a rental house. Regarding a rural rental property that has water supplied from rainwater tanks, who pays for delivered water when the water runs out due to drought?

It seems that this issue is either a very large grey area or a Pandora's box.

If the responsibility rests with the landlord then what incentive is there for the tenant to limit their use. If the responsibility rests with the tenant then what incentive is there for the landlord to install decent size tanks, repair gutters, etc.

What about health concerns with rainwater?

You can only charge water usage if the house is water efficient (in NSW). If you are on tank water, then the tank is filled prior to the tenant moving in, the tenant pays for the replacement water & leaves it full when they leave.

NSW:

Your landlord can only ask you to pay water usage charges provided all the minimum criteria have been met.

The minimum criteria for passing on water usage charges is:
? the rental premises must be individually metered (or water is delivered by vehicle, such as those with water tanks on rural properties) and
the charges must not exceed the amount billed for water usage by the water supplier
and
? the rental premises must meet required ?water efficiency? standards.A rental property is only considered water efficient if it meets these standards.

Internal cold water taps and single mixer taps for kitchen sinks and bathroom hand basins A maximum flow rate of 9 litres per minute.

Showerheads A maximum flow rate of 9 litres per minute.

No leaking taps anywhere on the premises at the start of the tenancy or when the other water efficiency measures are installed.

The requirement for sink and basin taps to have a maximum flow rate of 9 litres per minute does not apply to other taps in the premises such as bathtub taps, laundry taps, outside taps for the garden, or taps which supply washing machines and dishwashers.

The landlord does not necessarily need to change the showerheads and tap fittings. The water efficiency measures can be achieved simply by installing aerators or regulators to existing taps and showerheads and fixing any leaking taps on the premises.

VIC
The Act does not expressly address the issue of water supply other than by mains infrastructure. Sections 52 and 53 of the Act make it clear that for water supplied by a Water Board or Authority, the landlord is liable to pay any rates in relation to water supply, and that the tenant pays for water consumed if it can accurately measured by a water meter. If consumption cannot be measured per property, the landlord assumes responsibility to pay for the water used.

The Victorian Tenants Union suggests:

? Tank water: the landlord ensures that the water tank is full at the beginning
of the tenancy, paying for all water carted when supply is exhausted; the
tenant pays for water consumed by volume.

Furthermore, landlords have a responsibility to ensure that water supplied to a
rental property is safe and fit for all uses. While instruments such as the Safe
Drinking Water Act 2003 and the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines 2004 do not apply to the provision of non-mains water by landlords, as a matter of equity, rural Victorians not attached to water mains infrastructure should be entitled to a water supply of similar quality to their metropolitan counterparts.

The Tenants Union regards contamination of the water supply, by whatever cause, as a ?failure? of supply within the meaning of the urgent repair provisions of the Act ? thus the landlord is liable to remedy the situation. Landlords should also be encouraged to provide regular maintenance to tanks, bores, wells and pumps in order to ensure the continuous supply of an appropriate amount of clean and safe water.

Adequacy of water supply is also an issue. If a property utilizes tank water,
landlords must ensure the tank is of an appropriate size to serve the number of occupants. The Tenants Union suggests that landlords should be advised to select a tank by reference to the number of bedrooms in the property. It would be desirable that the provision of an appropriately sized water tank be included in any standards developed in regard to rental property.

What about urban, where there is mains water and tanks supplement supply, for example to toilets which would always have dual cocks anyhow, garden, or maybe to laundry (less likely)?

If I am to be required to truck water to fill tanks that supplement supply, and the tenants union is also playing ducks and drakes on the wholesomeness of water not used for drinking, I might as well remove the tanks and fittings to avoid the risks they are unreasonably intent on finding.

My insurer is likely to ramp up insurance when the first tenancy lawyer alleges that a tenant contracted something from a tank water supply. I don't want to be around for that. All I ever wanted to do was to help out the over-taxed water supply and save the tenant some water at the same time.

Nonetheless there are many impositions on owners that a couple of decades ago would have been similarly dismissed as outrageous.

While I may have to retain tanks in houses that were covered by the new building regulations* that required them, I will make sure that the tanks on my properties are the absolute minimum, and between tenants I will consider removing tanks and fittings in properties where I supplied them without being required to do so. Better than being targeted by one of the litigious tenants around.

It might only take one frivolous claim for insurers and government to over-react in Nanny State Australia.

*Note: Queensland was removing this requirement and it may already have gone. That should mean that any existing tank can be removed.

Last edited:
Well in many locations of NSW water tanks were banned and subsequently disposed of years ago.

Now they are a requirement and are being subsidised.

I guess the safe way to do tanks is to toilet only.

Cant see how any one can get litigious about that?

BTW, we here in the bush have always had tank water servicing the houses we live in and to all taps.
In other words we drink it and it is beeeeaauuutiful...!

Never, ever been sick from the water. And have found some pretty interesting "things" in the tanks at times.
Just shut it out of mind when drinking and keep on keeping on.

It's called intestinal flora, you need it to maintain immunity.:)

if we go on cleaning things up completely we will lose our immune systems and become a sick society.

IMO we are already going down that track.

Back