Tap replacement

Hi all,

Just a simple question on replacing taps.

I just replaced a vanity set in my PPOR and would like to change the set in my shower.

Both sets are approx 17 years old and have come to the end of their life. They've veeb resetaed so many times yet still leak and are extrenly hard to turn off etc.

I changed everything not just the handles.

My question is: How do I change the shower ones?

I haven't pulled them apart to have a look yet but with the vanity it was easy as I had access to all the piping.

Obviously with the shower all the piping is behind the wall.

Do the shower taps have a different set up where the inner workings can be replaced from the front instead of having to undo all the copper pipe fittings?

Just after a quick heads up from someone who has done the job before.

Thanks Darren

Bad news Darren... the taps are set up exactly the same as any other tap, if you cannot reseat the taps then you will have to remove the tiling to get to the pipework and remove. AYou will then need to repair the wall and re-tile :(

tap

Aargh!!!

That's no good.

Luckily these are not as bad as the vanity unit which obviously gets a lot more use each day.

I'll reseat them and replace the washers again.

I was planning on renovating the bathroom in the future anyway so they can wait till then.

Thanks.

Yes you can replace the tap assembly but if you really want to replace the breech have a look behind the wall where the shower taps are located and see if you can access from this side. If it's an internal wall you may be able to cut away a section of the gyprock (make sure you cut to half a stud width so you can replace gyprock) and replace breech. A combo breech (shower and bath assembly) will cost about $40.

taps

That's a good idea. The shower backs on to the hallway wall so access from that side is simple.

When you say you can replace the tap assembly what do you really mean by that and what is the breech?

I guess I would have to access it from the wall behind to be able to undo the fittings anyway.

I'm going to have to pull the taps apart tomorrow and educate myself as to how they are set up.

I have changed the washers previously and from memory they were completely different ot the vanity ones. I'll have to have another look.

I wouldn't be a plumber for any money either. It was no fun with my head in that vanity for an hour or so. Access was quite poor. And this is from someone who is used to spending hours upside down in the cockpit of fighter jets fault finding and repairing wiring. At least the aircraft don't drip on me when I'm working :)

Darren

When you say you can replace the tap assembly what do you really mean by that and what is the breech?

Darren, this is a tap assembly. It can be easily replaced by removing the tap handles and then unscrewing the existing assembly and replacing.
D190.JPG

The breech is the copper fitting that houses the tap assembly and is the bit that is reseated. This is the one behind your tiles that may be hard to access unless you can access from the other side. I couldn't find a pic but have a look at this PDF for some diagrams:
http://www.kembla.com.au/pdf/plum_assemblies.pdf

It's not rocket science but i have a feeling you may need to be a licensed plumber to replace. It would be better to braise the new breech on instead of using nylon olives as it's behind a wall. Have fun!

Back