Tasmania

I have a weak spot for Tassie and would love unbiased opinions on buying to live. It appeals to me because I am self employed so can work from there and not worry about lack of income. Also with a small child possibly being able to afford space for him to grow up in an okay house rather than a Sydney dump. I know the prices down there are low because of the job situation, probably not helped by cold weather, distances.

Since I have boarding houses here in Sydney I am tempted to look at a big property there and do something similar - I think the tourist industry will continue to push forward, there are some good student spots near the unis and from my experience in travelling there you don't see much short term self catering cheap accommodation - very heavily into the quaint BnB thing which seems a bit cliche. Also some farmers I know there tell me it's difficult to house all the second year working holiday visa kids working on their farms out in some of the smaller towns. I've also stayed in some gorgeous beachside towns which seem ripe to hit the tourist trail soon where houses are as low as $130K.

But despite me seeing all of these things I still think, ugh, Tassie. Family who live there says the motto is "last one out, turn off the lights". There are almost entire towns for sale so lots of cheap housing so maybe not much CG ?Spirit of Tasmania is stupid expensive to get there, hire cars are stupid expensive, cost of living might be higher as the excuse of "oh, but it had to come across by boat" applied to everything...

Any pockets you think are worthwhile to consider?

I've watched boarding houses and whatnot for a bit around Tassie. But, TBH, I'm not so sure it's that well priced compared to other states. You've got places like this that are very attractive and well located buildings, but not particularly well priced compared to the return:
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-tas-south+hobart-112592575

Then you've got places like this, that are very well priced, but not so well located:http://www.realcommercial.com.au/property-hotel+leisure-tas-queenstown-500287913(It's like $170K ish)

I like Tassie though - lived down there for a bit. Gets a tad cold in winter!

I've watched boarding houses and whatnot for a bit around Tassie. But, TBH, I'm not so sure it's that well priced compared to other states. You've got places like this that are very attractive and well located buildings, but not particularly well priced compared to the return:
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-tas-south+hobart-112592575

Then you've got places like this, that are very well priced, but not so well located:http://www.realcommercial.com.au/property-hotel+leisure-tas-queenstown-500287913(It's like $170K ish)

I like Tassie though - lived down there for a bit. Gets a tad cold in winter!

Yeah, I'm not sure how I'd cope living in Tassie. But the idea of a boarding house in Sydney being around 1m or...I dunno..I could live in Queenstown and manage that dive and then spend Aussie winter in Hawaii lol. $170ish isn't too bad. Surely each room would go for maybe $50 -$100 a week to locals or more to the one tourist that hit the west coast a week? Wonder what occupancy would be though...I might investigate.

Yeah, I'm not sure how I'd cope living in Tassie. But the idea of a boarding house in Sydney being around 1m or...I dunno..I could live in Queenstown and manage that dive and then spend Aussie winter in Hawaii lol. $170ish isn't too bad. Surely each room would go for maybe $50 -$100 a week to locals or more to the one tourist that hit the west coast a week? Wonder what occupancy would be though...I might investigate.
Watch your maintenance costs. As a facilities manager I've had a few old Victorian era buildings in my portfolio and they tend to be hungry old beasts, so you definitely have to factor it in to your running costs. Helps if you're handy with a tool set. By memory I think that particular building does have some issues (I rang up about it once), maybe nothing insurmountable, but, you know, as they say, if something is too good to be true, it usually is.

One of my personal strategies is targeting developments near uni's, i.e. building multi furnished dwellings close to a major uni. Have you researched this in Launceston near the uni there?

I know its a bit left field but worth considering.

Regards

Shahin

One of my personal strategies is targeting developments near uni's, i.e. building multi furnished dwellings close to a major uni. Have you researched this in Launceston near the uni there?

I know its a bit left field but worth considering.

Regards

Shahin

I have actually - Launceston seems to already have quite a few - Mowbray and Invermay I think it is - seems to be lots of people already doing the same, or just renting rooms, running boarding houses etc. There are some for sale there I have started to look at too. My other idea is the same sort of thing in areas close to major hospitals/teaching hospitals.

Watch your maintenance costs. As a facilities manager I've had a few old Victorian era buildings in my portfolio and they tend to be hungry old beasts, so you definitely have to factor it in to your running costs. Helps if you're handy with a tool set. By memory I think that particular building does have some issues (I rang up about it once), maybe nothing insurmountable, but, you know, as they say, if something is too good to be true, it usually is.

Don't I know about it .One of the circuits is out in one of my boarding houses today and we're trying to sort it. Not helped by the bad flashing on the old chimneys letting water run down the walls to create an unwanted water feature. Building just needs a bomb under it.

I have actually - Launceston seems to already have quite a few - Mowbray and Invermay I think it is - seems to be lots of people already doing the same, or just renting rooms, running boarding houses etc. There are some for sale there I have started to look at too. My other idea is the same sort of thing in areas close to major hospitals/teaching hospitals.

I think you are on the right track - I wouldn't however buy someone else's development.

Regards

Shahin

Have you looked around the Sandy Bay area of Hobart? A lot of students studying at the university are from interstate and due to prestige of the area don't have too much choice other than to live on campus or very overcrowded private rentals.

Have you looked around the Sandy Bay area of Hobart? A lot of students studying at the university are from interstate and due to prestige of the area don't have too much choice other than to live on campus or very overcrowded private rentals.

Great tip! Thanks..will look into it.

I reckon Hobart and Launceston would be the only places you could consider. Everywhere else would be too seasonal - and that winter would be a long, slow one.
I'm guessing Sandy Bay is perhaps the second most expensive area of Hobart? Battery Point must be the most expensive. Both nice areas, though.
I'd be surprised if there weren't some scruffy old places on the edge of the Hobart CBD ripe for turning into a guest house.
Scott

cold weather,

Any pockets you think are worthwhile to consider?

If you are concerned by cold down there, check out some towns along the north and north west coast. Say Smithton to Burnie to Devonport. The moderating effect of water of Bass Straight doesn't let these places get too cold and there would be heaps of areas on Australia's mainland get colder than these places. But it would still be a bit wet and cold in winter I'm sure.

Very pretty too.

See ya's.

If you are concerned by cold down there, check out some towns along the north and north west coast. Say Smithton to Burnie to Devonport. The moderating effect of water of Bass Straight doesn't let these places get too cold and there would be heaps of areas on Australia's mainland get much colder than these places. Very pretty too.

See ya's.

My family would love that. I have some in Oldina, looked at a guesthouse in Wynyard, some family in Latrobe near Devonport. Was just there which is what started me thinking. Gorgeous and got the worst sunburn of my life on a beach in Somerset. But I wasn't sure what opportunity is there apart from tourist trail and maybe some of the farm workers. But I should investigate - thanks for the push!

We lived in Sandy Bay for a few years. Lovely part of the world - in summer! :)

Make sure you don't buy a house on the south side of a hill - or you'll be in the shade for half of every year. Gets cold at elevation but down at sea level it doesn't get below zero much. It just might not get above 7 during the day! The days get pretty short in winter and it gets too cold to let small kids play outdoors for very long.

Having said that, my ideal retirement home would be something on the north coast - on the rich, red dirt which is the type of place that you can actually grow your own vegies really successfully. A lot of Tassie is just rubbish clay otherwise. An acreage with enough trees to keep the fire stoked through winter, when you're not sailing in the Whitsundays...

my parents just moved to Tasmania.

went to visit and was shocked to learn

1) how car dependant the whole state is.
2) the massive and ever increasing social divide.
3) the suicide rate - the week before i arrived 3 teenagers threw themselves off the main bridge.
4) the complete lack of future for the state.
5) the sense of isolation.
6) that Hobart and Cygnet are really the only places with any kind of future.

i found it a truly, utterly depressing place and if my parents didn't live there, i wouldn't go back.

ever.

Gee Aaron, I go down every year and don't find it depressing at all. If I was going to start an accomodation business, though, I would stick to the three big cities - I'm guessing tourism is less weather dependent in them. Mona, in particular, has given Hobart a boost.
I do admit, though, that when I'm in Hobart I do feel I'm at the end of the world - which I am, I guess.

The future I think for Tassie could be based on some sort of wilderness tourism - I worked in Alaska and I mean they have some whole towns that are basically a theme park. So we could all chip in and buy Strahan or something.

Then there is grey nomad tourism - the foodie trails etc. Plus people retiring there perhaps. Also families who are location independent but still want access to free Aussie schools etc. Family I have who are farming are now doing quite well with super organic style products and saffron they take to markets. Hard work and can't see it being attractive for many.

Maybe a push for the arty, creative types? Or a push for international students to go to the unis. There is some interest in the harvest trail from all the working holiday folk wanting a second year visa so could funnel them all through.

When most of my immediate family left 30-40 years ago they were sure the island was about to fall off the earth and had no future. Now some of them are considering moving back and feel they were wrong. The ones who have stayed are doing okay - especially the self employed - the farmers and the ones who started and expanded bus companies.

I just find it all interesting. I loved the towns with old fashioned milk bar style takeaways and cheap second hand stores - a bit of shabby, retro chic if marketed maybe. Griffith Review just did a whole issue on Tassie - I might read it and see what interested stuff is in there...

Global warming would have to help in the longer term surely. Zombie attack on the mainland? Although then I guess lots of free real estate.

look far be it from me to trash someone's opinion of idyllic.

if it works for you then godspeed - you asked for areas i think are good, so i gave my opinion and the possible reasons why.

The future I think for Tassie could be based on some sort of wilderness tourism - I worked in Alaska and I mean they have some whole towns that are basically a theme park. So we could all chip in and buy Strahan or something.

Then there is grey nomad tourism - the foodie trails etc. Plus people retiring there perhaps. Also families who are location independent but still want access to free Aussie schools etc. Family I have who are farming are now doing quite well with super organic style products and saffron they take to markets. Hard work and can't see it being attractive for many.

Have you seen the TV show, 'gourmet farmer'? SBS on Thursday here. About this bloke, Mathew Evans, who moved to Tassie and is trying to make a living growing and selling organic food. I love that show, and you might get some ideas from it?

http://www.matthewevans.net.au/what/gourmet-farmer

He even has a shop in Hobart now.

But he'd been better off trying to do what he's doing up on the north coast where that red soil is that High Equity mentioned. It's gotta be some of the best soil in the world.

We did a farm tour of the place a few years ago. Some of the really good farmers were thriving. I think the place has a good future. There is plenty of overcrowded cities everywhere in the world. Tassie has some nice things about it that no one else has.

See ya's.

Back