Tasmania

Food tourism is a big thing down there - lead by the likes of Mathew Evans. That loop south of Hobart to Cygnet is pretty good. There is a bloke down there who does a cooking thing that appeasl to me. It's called the 'whole hog' and it's a two day course with about 8 people that starts with a whole pig and over the two days they turn the whole thing into meals.

I too believe there is a big future in food tourism and wilderness tourism for Tassie. I personally love the place (except Queenstown) but you have to go through Q to get to Strachan from Hobart. Even Roseberry in the pouring rain and at 4 degrees C is gorgeous in its own quaint way. I hear the western mines at Zeehan and Roseberry will be expanding shortly.

But the rest of the place is God's Own Untouched Beauty, as far removed from the awfulness of Sydney as one can get, south of Uluru.

On the other hand Tassie is still very non-mainstream. As such it will not attract the same tourism and development $$$ as Surfers or Noosa (Thank God). For those of us who are somewhat different from your average yahooing Australians, I don't mind if we keep it that way, really. Says someone who can drive to Surfers in an hour and can be frolicking with the koalas in the Noosa National Park within two hours of leaving home.

I worked in Cygnet TAS for a while, a B and B or guesthouse might do ok I don't know, I also worked in a tourist place in Hobart and quite a lot of backpackers were going through Hobart in summer so maybe it's promising

My humble observations with Cygnet were a lot of the talented young people tended to be drawn towards the colleges and university in Hobart or further afield and it would be hard to draw them back. The younger ones who were left, a lot of them seemed to be young parents and some asked me why I haven't had kids yet...
So I concur with a previous poster asking what stands out about Cygnet?
However I really enjoyed my time there, really lovely people and very relaxed lifestyle and atmosphere. and yeah it seemed to be trying to develop a hippy arty "vibe" to it..

I've only just moved to Tassie, love the area we live in (Battery Point). Hobart is a little slow paced but then I found Perth to be slow too and it's almost 10 times bigger than Hobart.

API has a write-up about Tassie this month, they suggest coastal towns like Cygnet should do ok as they attract the mainland seachangers who buy good quality houses near water.

A link to Tassie projects, current and in the pipeline:
http://www.investtasmaniamap.com.au/

Back