Tax invoice for repairs required for tax return

Hi,

I need some advice regarding tax invoices for repairs which I paid for via a property manager who never sent me a copy of the invoice even though it's been accounted for in the monthly statements.

My accountant is doing my 06/07 but she won't lodge the return till I get the invoices from the agent. However I've stopped using that agent about 6 months ago because of another issue. I have since called the new agent and apparently they don't have any invoice copies paid for by the old agent.

I have tried calling the old agent for the last 5 weeks, and each time they promise they are going to dig the invoice up and send it to me. It's been 5 weeks since I started calling them and I still haven't received any invoices.

What are my rights? Can I lodge my tax return without the invoices? Is the old agent obligated to provide me with the invoices?

Any suggestions and thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Elsie

But its your tax return not tha accountants. If she won't budge then adjust your rent by the repairs as that would reflect your cash flow for that month. You would argue I only received income of $x rent less repairs so in effect your rent figure shouldn't be the summarised amount. If she won't budge, get a more creative accountant.

Yes I would give your accountant the flick it's your tax return.
Sounds to me if they are that straight good chance you are paying un-needed tax for no reason.

The agent should supply you the invoices or at least tell you who did the work and supply the contractors details so you can obtain the invoice for later reference.

I have found agents tend to add a little extra on repairs and have failed to give landlords the correct invoice. I once fixed a property to later find the agent had added an extra $2000 on top of my invoice.
The landlord tracked me down to explain the delay on payment feeling guilty for taking so long as she did not expect the repair to be so much.
She soon learnt the agent had ripped her, major legal issue then,

What are my rights? Can I lodge my tax return without the invoices? Is the old agent obligated to provide me with the invoices?

Any suggestions and thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Elsie

yes I had a plumber do some work for me once supply and fit a hot water service
took my cash with out a problem said he would send me the receipt in the mail
never got it and he wouldnt answer my calls after that
so I just told my accountant his business name the date,price and work that was
done and he put it through

Thanks for the great suggestions!!!

Think I’ll have to start looking around for a new accountant for the coming tax year. In the mean time I’ll have the accountant adjust my rent with what was actually paid to me according to the statement (which is the rent - outgoings) and submit the return.... Oh well it's a good lesson - always ask for the receipts of any repairs or work done.

Back