TC's 08 wheat harvest.

Wheat harvest this year has been a bit of a disaster for everyone. Southern areas simply had a dry year. Northern areas like the Liverpool Plains and the rest of northern NSW, and all of Queensland had a great season. However once the grain was ripe, down came the rain and pretty much followed the harvest south.

We expect rain at harvest, as December is our second wettest month after January. But this year there was just heaps. There's been about 200 mills in the last month to bring our yearly rainfall for the year so far to 775 mills. 100 mills above average. So the wheat has all been reduced to feed quality. Nothing unusual, as it happens all the time, but this year with grain prices crashing, prices are terrible. Currently worth $150 per tonne for feed quality wheat whereas last years feed wheat was worth $400 per tonne.

Photo of the harvest today,.....

farmdec08004.jpg

farmdec08053.jpg

We did harvest a small amount of grain that was relatively undamaged. It pretty much rained every second day for a month. You would start, get 20 tonnes off and down it would come again. before the rain started the crop would have went 5 tonnes per hectare. The constant rain starts the seed germinating in the head, and the rain washes the guts out of the grain, it losses protein, losses weight, losses colour and this year it has almost halved in value. Mostly, feed grain doesn't drop so much in value, but this year as the damage is so widespread, quality grain is at a premium and the crap at a discount. Ours is nearly all crap.

What we are harvesting now is going about 4.5 t/h. We would have lost at least 10% in weight, and the grain would have lost 40% of it's value.

We won't sell any grain now. We will be able to store every tonne. Selling now would probably mean we make a small loss. It cost a small fortune to plant as all the inputs were bought at the peak of the bubble. We should have locked in some prices, but we never saw this commodity crash coming. Not many farmers did. We will just hope prices move up a bit, and if not, then too bad. We will look forward to next year and lower fertilizer, chemical and fuel prices.

Photo of some quality grain on the left, compared to some weather damaged crap on the right. Probably $250/t back to $150/t.

farmdec08007.jpg

We had 400 hectares of wheat in. About 60% harvested now. Should be finished by the end of the weekend if there is no more rain and it looks like it might finally be gone for a little while. We have planted 950 hectares of grain sorghum. It's looking OK, but it didn't need that much rain either. It could do with some hot dry weather for a few weeks. Photo of some of the sorghum,....

farmdec08020.jpg

The rain is good news for anyone not with wheat or other winter grains to harvest. Most of the graziers are pretty happy. All the creeks and rivers are flowing nicely and there's been a few floods down them. There has been so much rain on the wheat country that I could plant another crop straight back into it, like I did with the sunflowers last year, but as prices are not much good, I won't bother.

I spent a lot of last weekend canoeing down some local creeks with some mates. That's pretty special to be able to do that.

See ya's.

Last edited:
know what you mean with the weather.

down here in south aust it didn't rain for the 10 weeks so the wheat was really stunted and not much use for anything other than feed - then it rained - and rained and rained. so much is just rotting in the fields.

seems like every second farm is for sale down here on the eyre peninsula.

I reckon anybody who makes a success of farming has to very clever. Years ago when I worked in the advertising industry, one of the accounts I worked on was an animal health product. It was an odd product for a slick, city advertising agency. We used to venture out into the country a couple of times a year to talk to sheep and cattle farmers and distributors. It used to amaze me how much the successful guys had to know about animal health, soil health, accounting etc and they had to be able to fix stuff. And to top it off, they were at the mercy of the weather.

Scott

Nice post TC . Always great to see what you are up to .

I expect if you can hang onto your harvest for a while there will be more opportunity for better prices later .

I'm amazed how much rain you have had in your area . Where i am in SW Vic , December has been almost like a second spring after a dismal October period ...

I expect if you can hang onto your harvest for a while there will be more opportunity for better prices later .

I'm amazed how much rain you have had in your area . ...

We will just store the grain until February. There are a lot of weak sellers out there now who need cash straight away and who have no storage and are under pressure from their banks. Generally you do well by not selling at harvest time.

CBOT grain prices have done real well the last week, yet oil is still dropping. Grain might finally be going out on it's own and developing it's own fundamentals rather than just following oil.

We are still in the right business for whats ahead.

Yesterday we got a storm at midday. Only 1 mill in it, so we got going again 3 hours later. We should be finished early Sunday.

farmdec08061.jpg

See ya's.

TC, with respect to the great fertiliser price rip off I wondered what you know of the new fertiliser company "Direct farm inputs" . It was only launched this week and is selling DAP for $1030/tn almost $700 less than Incetecpivots advertised price ...

I was reading that the new company expected to sell all it's stock this week !

Something to watch out for in the future perhaps ? Check out the Weekly Times .

TC, with respect to the great fertiliser price rip off I wondered what you know of the new fertiliser company "Direct farm inputs" . It was only launched this week and is selling DAP for $1030/tn almost $700 less than Incetecpivots advertised price ...

I was reading that the new company expected to sell all it's stock this week !

Something to watch out for in the future perhaps ? Check out the Weekly Times .

Dunno anything about it. It's probably a bunch of farmers set up a business importing cheap fertilizer to screw incitec. There will be a lot of that going on till the fertilizer companies see what the reality is and take the pain they are due, and I will enjoy watching every moment of it.

See ya's.

Would you consider buying through a startup group like this though ?

The propietors had the older company "Direct Fertiliser" who sold out to ABB in 2005 .

They required farmers to pay upfront into a trust fund . I don't know anyone who had done business with them , but I remember recieving marketing materials etc ...

I've got to be more ruthless with my input costs , like yourself .

Would you consider buying through a startup group like this though ?

If they bought fertilizer back to a fair price i would support them. I spent 400 K on fertilizer this year. Didn't hurt one bit because I thought grain prices would be high too. If this company halved the fertilizer price, I would save 200 k next year. Apparently urea is currently $280 US out of Saudi Arabia right now..!!

I'm hearing that a lot of farmers are so fed up with the rorting that they will boycot Incitec Pivot next season. I think I will too.

Finished wheat harvest yesterday. Spent today spraying wheat stubble fallows and have some broadleaf weeds to spray in the sorghum tomorrow and the next. Should be all done by Christmas, woo hoo.

See ya's.

great show of another world , thanks the pictures were fasinating, looks like you have a very special place there tc grain or no grain?

Great post Topcropper,

one side of my family is on the land near Forbes. Love the smell of wheat...love the big equipment-headers, combine harvesters?, tractors. Think my love of the land has a lot to do with the time I spent there when I was really young-all the smells and sensations on a property experienced as an infant and then toddler.

Ajax

We ended up with 850 mills total rain for the year, when our average is only supposed to be 670 mills. Last year we recorded just over 800 mills, so this is another wetter than average rainfall year. If this is climate change, then I like it.

More good news. Grain prices are rising. Wheat on CBOT bottomed at 470c per bushel. They are 640c and rising well. Apparently there is a bad drought in South America and their corn and soybean crops are stressing bad. Rural media is talking of a 'la-nina' event which brings above average rain to Australia but below average rain to South America. I would think the market is doing it's thing. If people want enough food to eat, grain has to be profitable for a farmer to grow. Fertilizer is crashing, and so is roundup, our two biggest costs. Plus oil has risen due to the middle east troubles which is pulling up grain, so it's all good for me. The weather damaged wheat that wasn't worth $150 a tonne a month ago is now about $180, and still rising.

We still haven't sold any wheat. But if I sold it now I would just make a profit rather than a loss.

The sorghum is looking magnificent. A very wet November and December has it thriving. It hasn't rained now for a few weeks. It has a stack of subsoil water under it, so I would hope the lowest it might yield would be 4 tonnes per hectare, but a wet January and February could see upwards of 8 tonnes per hectare. There is no obvious rain coming our way, but the wet north is having a big wet season, so hopefully we will get some chucked this way.

It will be about 35 degrees today, and similar yesterday, but it will cool down again tomorrow. The season has been mostly cooler than average and wet thus far. We have 950 hectares of sorghum in.

Picture of the grain sorghum beside freshly harvested wheat stubble. The sorghum will throw up a head in the next week.

kriswarrahcanoeandwestkunderang0-2.jpg

See ya's.

Last edited:
They sure look healthy and strong.

*goes away to google sorghum*

*edit* argh they make Maotai from it in China lol. That stuff is brutal.

Sorghum in Australia is the main grain fed to chooks. It's also fed to cattle, and if ethanol ever takes off it's great for that too. Last year was Australia's biggest ever sorghum crop with about 3 million tonnes grown. it's only grown in QLD and northern NSW, where the soil is deep and black and there is reliable summer rain.

See ya's.

tc,

Out of curiosity - though I'm a city slicker and it won't really mean much too me - what are typical farm sizes out your way?

Have they changed much over the years?

Hope you have a good crop.

Regards,

Back