Teeth Whitening:)

A big house deposit $$$! :(

Worth every cent!

pinkboy :cool:

But this would hurt, and I am not into pain, just the thought of this procedure makes me cringe.
I think dentists these days do not remove teeth unless no other option.

My father had all his teeth removed as he wanted dentures, go figure.... anyway, he could not cope with the dentures so he kept them in a bucket of water in his garage, and remained toothless, not a pretty sight.
:)

I've used the Crest Strips a few times over the past 10 years.I liked them, but I wasn't going for the 'fake white hollywood smile'

There can be dangers but you just need to make sure you are buying from a reputable company and buying a reputable product. Crest (known as Oral B in Australia) as discussed is one of the best, but for their stronger products you will need to buy from overseas becuse they are banned for sale in Australia. Be wary though that the stronger the gel, the stronger the side effects (sensitivity etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I both had out teeth whitened before our wedding a few years back, we got a discount voucher off of scoopon/brands exclusive (one of those sites) and it wasn't the most pleasant experience. The clamp they use to wedge your mouth open/keep your lips out of the way was MASSIVE and the paste they use must be some sort of industrial strength bleach because they accidently got some on my gums and it instantly started burning me!
All of this aside though it worked a treat, our teeth were definitely whiter, to the point that people were commenting how terrific our smiles were.

Crest strips work well basing it on my cousin's teeth. Her teeth are super white and I dare not even smile near her because mine look terrible compared to hers. Bloody Americans and their flawless smiles!

I had my teeth professional done (in chair) a couple of years ago. I don't drink coffee or smoke but I used to drink a lot of coke, so my teeth were discoloured.

What was the result? I noticed the teeth on the sides (from the canine teeth to the back) were whiter. They matched the colour of the rest of the teeth and there was overall uniformity in the colour of my teeth. It is still uniform to this day.

Did it get whiter? No not really, it may have gotten a shade whiter but it certainly wasn't white!

Was it worth it? Yes I'd say so. Just seeing that uniformity in the colour was a big boost and I felt more confident :D

The dentist recommended maintaining it with custom trays for in house whitening which I didn't do.

Cons? There was sensitivity on the first day where I'd feel shooting pain randomly. It was bearable though. However my overall sensitivity increased slightly. I feel like it hasn't really improved over the past couple of years, so it must be a permanent effect.

Teeth whitening is not for everyone. If your diet is full of colour (sauces, curries, artificial colouring, etc), you'll find them getting discoloured again fairly soon and may not be worth it.

We were advised not to do the laser whitening (done in the chair by a dentist) as it can damage fragile teeth. Our dentist made up flexible trays and we used little syringes to lay the bleach into the trays. Using the trays for several nights in a row works well. I did it probably five years ago, and did another two or three nights just six months ago. It did make a difference, but I don't "glow".

Getting the product on the gums stings, so you need to use it sparingly. My teeth felt really horrible in the morning, like they had been clamped in a vice at the wrong angle, but that feeling goes within half an hour of waking and removing the tray, and is was not great fun sleeping like that, but it was worth doing.

Antibiotics also discolour teeth.
Unfortunately I like coffee.

My braces come off in 2 weeks and then I will review what options are available. I definitely wont be using the laser.

Some years ago a dentist quoted over $1000 to get teeth whitening done at the clinic, or $500 for a take-home kit. I opted with the take home kit and it worked - for a short while. Teeth are porous so they won't stay white for long.

The active ingredient in the kits available over the counter in Australia is usually hydrogen peroxide but typically it's in concentrations too low to work effectively (0.1% or thereabouts?). And some use abrasion to whiten your teeth which causes damage to your teeth/gums and makes them prone to even more discolouration.

When I had my dental implants done 18 months ago or so, I asked about whitening and the dentist talked me out of it. A good clean every 6 months or so keeps them looking decent (certainly no tartar to scrape off and show the dental tech students... :eek:) and he said it's better to keep your teeth "human coloured" anyway hehe.

actually I think I am going this way as well just a bloody good clean should do it and brush your teeth at least 3 times a day.

actually I think I am going this way as well just a bloody good clean should do it and brush your teeth at least 3 times a day.

I think you have made a good decision.
After I had my braces off (I was 36), I did use the Crest strips a few times, it brightened them up slightly, and after that just a yearly cleaning at my dentist.

The 'glow in the dark' smiles looks soooo fake..... all I can think, is how fake it looks.

I notice the TV commercials with the tooth whitening pen, you color your teeth with....reminds me back to the 70's, when movie stars did this.

I think you have made a good decision.
After I had my braces off (I was 36), I did use the Crest strips a few times, it brightened them up slightly, and after that just a yearly cleaning at my dentist.

The 'glow in the dark' smiles looks soooo fake..... all I can think, is how fake it looks.

I notice the TV commercials with the tooth whitening pen, you color your teeth with....reminds me back to the 70's, when movie stars did this.

Yeah , remember the Osmonds ? Donny Osmund wasn't it ? So fake ...

Back