Pools

Cairns? Just got back from Pt Douglas, Absolutely need a pool, so humid.

Yep, Cairns. Very humid at the moment. Pool is good for a dip to de-sticky myself. Or like today just lounge in to catch up on some vitamin D.

When we first moved here my neighbours said that they're pool is heated which I kinda laughed at thinking who needs a heated pool in Cairns?! Come 'winter' and apart from visitors our pool didn't get used for a couple of months. But then again I'm a wuss when it comes to the cold.

WM, Nice, but tiny, hopefully we can build larger pool than this, but at the end of th day we know really need a plunge pool, 600 sqm block. Need to work out exactly how much space we have.

Yup something a bit bigger but compact still. I like the raised idea as it means you can build up close to the garage etc.

I had friends that did it with a glass front panel which was very effective. At least you don't need a shallow end so you get most use out of a deep compact pool.

image5.jpg

image20.jpg

We did have a massive spa and was OK for a while, but not what we want now.

I couldn't remember if you've got kids or not ... if yes then definitely go for a pool ... hours of entertainment, great exercise and they learn to swim properly just by "mucking around"

We have a 55k litre salt pool and a 2 year old...the pool requires a reasonable amount of maintenance but this is mostly due to trees. I don't really mind though, it's pretty easy once you know how, and I get a bloke to come once a month in Summer for 80 bucks. In summer on the weekends we will often drive down the beach (5 mins away) and then come home for lunch by the pool. Can't get our kid out of the thing. Lifestyle A+ :D

Another vote for pools are not that much work.

Avoid slate edging - my folks pool will need the edging replaced (20 years on). Slate that is sometimes wet and sometimes dry crumbles. The slate fully enclosed by water is fine. Although I doubt slate is fashionable now, so you should be fine.

Consider a DE (Diatomaceous Earth) filter. A DE filter will remove particles in the pool down to ~3 microns. A sand filter (standard) will remove particles in the pool down to ~100 microns. A DE filter is like a Dyson, and a sand filter is like something you picked up on the kerb. A DE filter will require an extra ten mins a month to look after compared to a sand one.

How much cheaper are fibreglass above ground pools compared with cement pools?

I was considering putting a swim spa or maybe even a 12m fibreglass lap pool built into the back deck. Deck is the right height off the ground for it already.

Sounds perfect, you have larger block. But this is the sort of set up that I would like:)
You don't need a large block.

Our entire block is 855sq/m. It is a bit on the narrow side, but quite deep.

Many pools and spas are part of the same concrete pour, where the spa overflows into the pool from slightly above (our neighbors are currently doing this).

These types of designs may only be in the order of 5-6 metres wide (including spa), by approx 7-9 metres long; not including surrounding decking etc.

How much cheaper are fibreglass above ground pools compared with cement pools?

I was considering putting a swim spa or maybe even a 12m fibreglass lap pool built into the back deck. Deck is the right height off the ground for it already.

About 1/2 to 2/3rd of the price but you can do some rather smart ideas on a budget. I've seen pools build from water tanks, shipping containers etc

c8698c30f7d2f6820d549b4170490a66.jpg

ffbdd3fbf0026c15770f1e9acb35d2b8.jpg

73bdd91d7699530f2a810429e1d49d5f.jpg

yes going through the same process myself of putting in a pool kids are at a great age now 5,7,9 and I would prefer them out in a pool than playing computer games.
I have emailed a few places and just got a response from palmcitypools (your in perth also)
This is for a reconditioned pool i think..(i have emailed heaps). This is for a fibreglass pool and not sure if it is including landscaping as I wanted that inclusive.
Quote;
if the pool is going to the back of your house it would cost approx $19000 inc gst or side of house $18500, approx 5wks from time of signing up u get your pool

We had a pool at the previous house and will be putting in a pool in the next house.
Aquavic has a chlorinator that makes the pool a "freshwater" pool ... IMO it is better than both Chlorine and Salt water.
No stickiness or smell , good for the eyes.
Took a while to get used to maintaining it, but its worth the effort.
The system uses a copper ioniser and the chemical used is called "poolfresh plus" . 5kg costs around $100 and would last around 6 weeks during summer, but in winter you use around a third of that (so its not cheap).
David

We built a pool a few years ago.

Concrete with quartzon finish.
Saltwater chlorinator
Electric heat pump

Quartzon looks good but is a pain. Easily stained by leaves and often gets calcium spots. If I did it again in concrete I would tile the whole pool.

We like pool water warm, yesterday it was 34 degrees at the heater, fantastic. Although probably loses 20% heat by the time it is recirculated back to the pool.

The electric heat pump was advertised as "whisper" quiet, but far from it. Cannot run it overnight as it keeps us awake. Requires about 3 days to heat properly. I will go gas next time.

The best thing we bought was a pool blanket. I was against it at the start because I don't like the look of them but the additional heat it traps is amazing, makes the pool heater more effective and I've never had to top up the pool water since it was purchased.

Would spend probably about an hour a week on pool duties. I would budget about $1000 a year on pool chemicals/maintenance.

or a private outside bath (I would certainly go with one of these if I could)

I have a private deck and at one end of it have ran garden hose up from downstairs to a gate valve from bunnings and on to this shower head and arm. Leave tap downstairs on all the time and control it all with the gate valve upstairs.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-Round-...?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item3a95643e38

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chrome-W...?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item3a8f47dd52

A few palm trees in pots around it and for an outlay of about $50 we have a nice fijian styled outdoor shower.
The water drains through gaps in the deck onto the garden underneath.

We are also considering a pool after moving from a house with one to one without (in the middle of summer)!!! The kids are currently mounting their case.

Have heard some good things about the vinyl pools too and from memory they are more reasonably priced.... Has anyone had experience with one of these??

Yup something a bit bigger but compact still. I like the raised idea as it means you can build up close to the garage etc.

I had friends that did it with a glass front panel which was very effective. At least you don't need a shallow end so you get most use out of a deep compact pool.

image5.jpg

image20.jpg

I luuuv this one:) front glass nice
Must be concrete

We had a pool at the previous house and will be putting in a pool in the next house.
Aquavic has a chlorinator that makes the pool a "freshwater" pool ... IMO it is better than both Chlorine and Salt water.
No stickiness or smell , good for the eyes.
Took a while to get used to maintaining it, but its worth the effort.
The system uses a copper ioniser and the chemical used is called "poolfresh plus" . 5kg costs around $100 and would last around 6 weeks during summer, but in winter you use around a third of that (so its not cheap).
David

that's an ioniser, not a chlorinator. by itself they don't provide adequate sanitation as they don't kill certain things fast enough. i don't think they are approved for use without chlorine either. personally i'd only use one if someone in your household has really bad reaction to chlorine and you don't have outsiders visiting your pool frequently.

Wouldn't do anything other than concrete, ever.

Recently complete one with a small dividing wall down one end, and seating on the outside of the diving wall at pool level. AKA it was a swim up bar, so anyone who didn't want to swim could sit at pool level with the people in the pool and have a drink (put stone over to use as a benchtop). Ran straight off the alfresco/bar. Looked great.

Back