Telatra incorrectly listed a default, what should I do?

On 17 Jan 2012 I received a Veda alert saying telstra had listed a default on my credit file for $127.

I phoned telstra and the default was for a telephone account at my old address, so I paid the outstanding amount that day.

When I moved, I phoned telstra to finalise the account and update my address, but it wasn’t updated in their system and the bill was sent to my old address. I think the problem was that I moved to a house in the same street and the person I spoke to didn’t update the street number.

They also had my mobile number on record and didn't call me to let me know there was an amount outstanding.

I have been bashing my head against a wall with telstra credit management, but they will only update the status to paid whereas I want it removed.

Is there anything I can do to clear this up?

Last edited:
Typical of telstra..
Can't help you with what to do but this has happend to mw with telstra.
they seem to stuff up all the time!!!

I could swear.......

I had a situation last year where these bozos were sending some of our dozen bills to their own exchange building........

And then I get the letter from d and b followed by a soli letter threatening hell and high water.

I am yet to waste more time to go to the telco ombudsman

Ta

Rolf

Man the credit management team are something else...

Please hold, disconnect

Ring back, please hold, someone else answers, hold again, disconnect

Ring back, repeat

No wonder they **** things up when the people in the call centre speak English as a second language.

Man the credit management team are something else...

Please hold, disconnect

Ring back, please hold, someone else answers, hold again, disconnect

Ring back, repeat

No wonder they **** things up when the people in the call centre speak English as a second language.

It's not just the ESL staff either.......

You have to write to Telstra's billing department and demand a letter stating that the bill has been paid. Then get them to remove the default from Veda.

You have to write to Telstra's billing department and demand a letter stating that the bill has been paid. Then get them to remove the default from Veda.

All they have done is update the status to "paid"

I want it removed altogether

The timing of this couldn't have been worse, as I had a loan application in for 90% with stgeorge and the paid default spooked the lmi into rejecting the application.

As a result I have had to take out a personal loan to get the lvr under 80% which turned out to be cheaper than the lmi premium anyway, and conditional aproval for the 80% loan was granted today... so I guess there is a silver lining.

I'm just pissed that I am getting penalized for someone else's mistake.

I've drafted a letter to Veda to formally dispute the default, but unfortunately I don't have any proof that I actually made the call at all.

All they have done is update the status to "paid"

I want it removed altogether

The timing of this couldn't have been worse, as I had a loan application in for 90% with stgeorge and the paid default spooked the lmi into rejecting the application.

As a result I have had to take out a personal loan to get the lvr under 80% which turned out to be cheaper than the lmi premium anyway, and conditional aproval for the 80% loan was granted today... so I guess there is a silver lining.

I'm just pissed that I am getting penalized for someone else's mistake.

I've drafted a letter to Veda to formally dispute the default, but unfortunately I don't have any proof that I actually made the call at all.

The system is farked. Mate of mine and client got hit with a $2500 default from dj's finance arm which was purely a over sight. He had over $500k available in a bank account / line of credit facility at the time of default. They moved house but the collection department who had an email address and mobile phone number called the home address and phones the old home number. How dumb are these collections people. Seriously?

there is a company that can help you, i have used them beforebut was for something slightly different, they do all the dirty work for you and are quite good, but you have to pay them obviously. "fix credit" 02 98901277

Last edited:
I had a similar thing too, mine was with Dorevich Pathology. I moved address, and updated everything with Medicare etc. but they still sent the bill to my old address. The first I even knew of a bill I was being chased by lawyers! :mad:

Apparently they sent 3 reminders of the due amount, but the billing department couldn't pick the phone up and call me!! As soon as I got the letter, spoke to the lawyers and cleared it all up - even got out of paying their fees due to the error.

Surely you can dispute it with Telstra? Even if you don't have proof their systems should show details of the conversation, surely.

telecommunication ombudsman. theres a website, fill out your details and a telstra representative will give you a call within 24 hours. (they try and fix it before the case proceeds)

Explain how you want it resolved and you wont agree to close the ombudsmans case until it happens. The telstra rep will most likely sort it out for you as there isnt a cost to telstra whether your listed on veda or not, but there is a cost to them participating with the ombudsman.

there is a company that can help you, i have used them beforebut was for something slightly different, they do all the dirty work for you and are quite good, but you have to pay them obviously. "fix credit" 02 98901277

Has already spent $4000 in legal fees to get it removed. As this point they are refusing to rfemove the listing so solicitor is counter suing them.

Oh and by the way the default stemmed from an unpaid bill of a few hundered dollars the balance of the $2500 is all penalties and interest.

So the laziness of the collection area has so far cost him over $6000

Update:

Shortly after lodging a complaint with the TIO I got a call from some very nice person in customer relations who is sure we can get this default removed :D

They requested some proof of the date that I moved house which I am sending them now.

Also, I think my rather unique surname will be my saving grace, because I am the only one in the australian white pages, which demonstrates that telstra didnt make a reasonable attempt to contact me.

Last edited:
Back