Tenant asking for repairs when it hasn't to yet settled

1) Is the rental income from day 1 very important to you?

2) if not, why not just let them leave, fix the stuff up, maybe do a small cosmetic reno then find a new PM and new tenants?

I guess if you answer that 1), that can help guide you in your decision.

Ditch tenant
Tidy up
Re-let for more money

Agree with DT.

There are long term maintenance issues. You won't be able to fix it all with tenants there. If you don't fix all issues, they will keep coming and cost you a lot in the long run.

Some tidying up, a plumber and a handyman will do wonders. You may want to paint as well.

Good responses. This is actually a development block so I would have liked to get the income secure from day one and keep any additional cash outflow minimal.
If I hadn't asked about the 12 month contract hey would have definitely kept quiet about the long list. I wonder how long they have actually been able to live with it all.
Apparently they have had plumbers come out in the past but they didn't fix anything permanently.

If they do end up moving, than I can probably spend $20k to renovate, and increase rent by $30/week (need to check market rates but I think that's feasible)

That sounds like a hell of a plan....

So straight after you settle, kick them out, reduce your income to zero for a good while and spend time and $ 20,000 in cash which is a capital improvement, to claim back at 2.5% per annum or $ 9.61 per week over the next 40 years.

Thereby increasing the before tax rent by $ 30 per week when you find someone new.

Wow, at that rate, you'll have your cash outlay repaid and into positive territory in only 505 weeks, or a touch under 10 years.

Although, during that 10 year period, it's not inconceivable that something else may go wrong with the myriad of things (plumbing, heating, electrical, HWS etc etc etc) that you will be responsible for that will requires further cash outlay ??

I'd like to preserve cash flow in the near term.

Right. Perhaps buying an "asset" like this then, may prove to be not the best decision you're ever made.

Who knows, in 10 years time, assuming no more costs are incurred in the meantime, you'll have $ 30 per week before tax to play with. If that assumption is wrong, and something...anything...crops up that costs you money, then obviously that 10 year timeframe is pushed out even further.

I would have liked to get the income secure from day one and keep any additional cash outflow minimal.

I wish you all the best with the investment decision you've made.

You're right. I'm better off not asking them to sign a 12 month contract and leave it as a month to month. If they've been there for multiple years and have stayed - why bother them. My time frame for this house is around 3-4 years before I make a development decision.

My question is - At what point does the tenant have to fix their own repairs? If a light bulb is broken, should they be calling up the PM? They showed me the shower fan/lights - out of the 4 lights only 2 were still there. It was already very bright with just two so adding the missing two will just increase their electricity bills so i'm not sure what they are thinking. Regarding the kitchen cabinet door - the hinge fell off so I'm pretty certain it's one of the kids that messed it up.

My priority is the plumbing and whatever a handyman can fix at the time.

Good responses. This is actually a development block so I would have liked to get the income secure from day one and keep any additional cash outflow minimal.
If I hadn't asked about the 12 month contract hey would have definitely kept quiet about the long list. I wonder how long they have actually been able to live with it all.
Apparently they have had plumbers come out in the past but they didn't fix anything permanently.

This is probably the important bit. Get what you must get fixed (plumbing - see skater's post) and no improvements, especially if you will be knocking the house down in a year or three. They can clean the air-con filter (we write that into our leases) and put the door that they took off themselves.

We had an interesting scenario recently where we sold a house (top condition) and the new tenant (which we agreed to place and take rent until settlement) decided a few things needed doing... bathroom fan was noisy (yes dear, it is a fan, it makes a noise :rolleyes:), one switch no longer connected to anything was tripping the power, wanted us to reimburse her for having two new keys cut (she was only one on the lease). We decided to cover our butts and get the tripping power fixed (probably cost us $100 to disconnect but worth it seeing the buyer and tenant were PITA), but refused the key cutting refund on principal, just to teach this tenant her place (and we did what we were legally obliged to do in giving her two keys even though we could have given her one). PM had several other sets of keys as the house was about to settle. We said the rest was up to the new owner. Nothing was faulty - it was a "princess" tenant scenario.

Tenant actually told the PM that "I don't think it is fair that the owners should make the new owner pay for any of this". Helllloooooo!!! Who is running the show, the PM or the tenant? The organ grinder or the monkey?

PM was simply passing on tenant requests (picky as they were) because she had to. We simply told her we were not fixing things that were not broken or faulty.

In the week prior to settlement our sparkie called six times and sent two texts. Tenant wouldn't allow him in as it didn't suit her, didn't even reply actually. Too bad, so sad. New owner can pay for the electrical fix now too.

This is the same lovely filthy rich man who stuffed our auction by buying cash unconditional and then deciding he had buyer remorse and as he hadn't paid his deposit he was not locked in... until he spoke to his lawyer :D.

I was ready with the prawn heads... :D

My question is - At what point does the tenant have to fix their own repairs? If a light bulb is broken, should they be calling up the PM? They showed me the shower fan/lights - out of the 4 lights only 2 were still there. It was already very bright with just two so adding the missing two will just increase their electricity bills so i'm not sure what they are thinking. Regarding the kitchen cabinet door - the hinge fell off so I'm pretty certain it's one of the kids that messed it up. .

The answer is - never.

The landlord is responsible for repairs. Full stop. Unless, of course, you can prove that the tenant deliberately caused the damage.

You can't automatically blame kids for everything. Wear and tear can account for minor issues arising.

It sounds as if this property has been allowed to fall into disrepair over the years, and the tenant is taking the opportunity to let you know that repairs need to be made.

It is up to you as to whether you retain this tenant or give notice to leave.
Marg

For any PM's out there - how highly would they rate as a potential tenant candidate, given that they have 3 young kids, one income earner etc. is it easy for their situation to move?

Depends on the house they are applying for. If they can afford it and I think they'll look after the property then I would consider renting to them.

Yes overall I think they'll probably find it a bit harder than a professional working couple with 1 child.

If they have been there for a 3 or 4 years you said then I don't think they will want to move.

5 people in a two bedroom place?? :eek:

The plumbing issues could easily be caused by the tenant. Ie. sticking things down the drains. Get a plumber, but make sure they know if it's due to misuse, they will be responsible for the invoice.

Why is the bond only $300?

Tenants to replace lights, clean filters etc.

Doubt you'll be able to prove the kitchen cupboard, so that'll need to be fixed up.

Gas heaters should be serviced and tested for leaking every 2 years, recommendation only, not a requirement. The heater is an urgent repair though.

If it's a development block, why renovate? Just clean it up, fix things that may see you having call outs (such as cupboard hinges, tap washers etc) and release at a slightly higher rate. Or do that while the tenant is there, increase the rent and sign them up for 12 months.

Given the property is in a rather rough but livable condition. How does one prove any incremental damage a tenant does from now going forward?

Will the new PM take a static 'snapshot' of the condition the property is in?

Cheers

Given the property is in a rather rough but livable condition. How does one prove any incremental damage a tenant does from now going forward?

Will the new PM take a static 'snapshot' of the condition the property is in?

Cheers

Depends on the PM really.

Most will do a routine inspection if they didn't manage the property originally, however there's no guarantee about how detailed it will be though.

You can use routine inspection reports at VCAT from time to time, but you will need to rely on the original condition report.

Also, considering the tenant has been there for 4/5years and has 3 children in a two bedroom property, more wear and tear is to expected.

Back