Tenant blacklists

Hi Peter

Tica is the most common database on tenants.

"Private landlords often ask various questions about TICA. The following are the most common questions asked-

> Is TICA available to private landlords?

> How can I find out if my agent is a member?

> Can I make an agent join?

> Is TICA available to private landlords?

In short the answer is no. TICA is an industry designed system for the sole use of the industry. Membership to TICA is at the sole discretion of TICA. Private landlords choose to be private landlords and therefore run the risk of inheriting a default tenant."

Since it's not available to private landlords and not all agents use it, imho the story is 3/4 beat up.

Asearch of the tenancy tribunal archives can do just as well as tica even if it does take some wading through if they have a common surname.

bundy

Tenancy Tribunal archives -
how do I find them - can you give me a clue.
By the way - my tenancies are in Melbourne.

Thanks for this - its been on my wish list to chase - but I've been too occupied to research. (although I have had the excuse of not having to find new tenanants recently - they seem to come in batches for me)

Thanks so much for mentioning. I am looking forward to improving this side of my business.

JAM

Last edited:
Spiderman,

While the Jenman report has valid points, at the same time landlords may have nightmares about people wrecking the place or do noy pay rent and you need to evict them. On both occassions as a landlord you will LOOSE money.

I have no objection about having a database as at least it provides as a deterrent (just like the CRA file) of being irrespopnsible. It will not work allways, but can reduce your risk and losses.

I just had a tenant who decided to break a lease. She "lived off" her bond money, place was untenanted for 2 weeks, 1 weeks plus GST is to re-let, meaning almost 4 weeks of rent out of my pocket.

Yes, she is warned that she either pays up the remaining almost 4 weeks, or she will be listed on th bad tenants database.

In any other business if someone would do it with you, you would seek ways how to get a compensation for your loss. I am doing the same and if she will be blacklisted as a result, I will not feel bad. We work sometimes ridiculous hours to have (also) that property bills paid, maintained, etc. If we do not do it, we will either loose the place (foreclosure) and / or will be blacklisted on the CRA file. We also have obligations. Kust try not to pay your bills you will learn it as well.

Tibor

Apart from checking referances, contacts and asking for verbal verification, and checking validity of sources (ie does the 'company' they work for actually exist)
What other checks do other people do on tenancy applicants?

JAM

(some) checks to perform

1) Full ID
full name and DOB of all residents
Drivers Licenece info
past address's for 2 years + reason left ( to be verified )

Full name, DOB and Drivers liciece info needed for debt collection purposes.
Use 100 point check like banks do to verify some of this.

2) Proof of ability to pay rent

last 2 payslips , paymaster phone number
work address, company name , occupation
other debts , hire purchase etc
rent receipts from previous place

If get government benifit, ask for a statement from Centrelink , that lists their exact benifit plus the amount paid

Note , people do not have to supply info like , "other debts" , but they will often voluntry supply info on a tennecy application. Note , tennents that are listed on tennency databases often choose to rent from private landlords , because it is easier to rent a place. - ie checks are generally a lot less rigerous

Ssomething to check out:

I'm a member of POAQ http://www.poaa.asn.au/qld/

POAQ has a good tennency application form, and special terms to add a standard tennency form . Note some of this stuff is specifically for queensland. Other things would be useful australia wide. See http://www.poaa.asn.au/qld/order.pdf for stuff sold. I am a member and find this stuff very good - i would be up the creek without it. I manage 12 tennancies myself.

The TICA list can be useful for landlords.

As a tenant I'm fully aware of my responsibilities. I treat the place how I would want my place to be treated.

However I am amazingly compliant to the most unreasonable requests mainly because of industry databases.

I do maintanance that most tenants would ignore. I comply when the l'lord or agent want access in under 24 hours to show the unit to potential buyers.

One unit that was sold from under us was inspected/shown to the public three times a week for well over two months.

Quiet enjoyment ruined? Yep. That unit wasn't only clean, it looked like a museum for the hour twice a week in the evenings and the two to three hours Saturday morning.

Did we get any rental discounts during that period?

Nope.

What we did get was the pleasure of rude people asking such questions like "when I buy this place how soon can you be out?" And the eviction after the auction (we had to move just before Christmas.)

What helped me keep my cool when my repsect to the agent and landlord was not returned to me?

Certainly my belief in karma helped. But the big thing that also made me so polite during that stressful time was the knowledge that one knockback, one's assertion of one's right to privacy as a tenant could lead me to being blacklisted by an agent having a bad day.

We need to have such databases to protect both landlords and tenants from the actions of bad tenants. (Bad tenants tend to be noisy to live next to.) But we need safeguards to avoid possible exploitation of these lists to punish tenants who are doing the right thing.

Back