Tenant Break Lease & New Application

The perfect tenants of my first IP have decided to break lease as they have bought a home. House was open on the weekend and got a couple of applications, one which was no good, the other one a maybe, but I have my own concerns. It is a couple expecting a baby shortly (no pets, but seeing what children can do, I think I prefer pets), both employed with ordinary income levels. She's coming from home so no references, he's coming from a previous rental property with a good reference from another agent who said he always paid on time.

My concern is, due to it being a lease break, how choosy am I allowed to be, and what is considered an "acceptable tenant"? This couple seem ok (maybe), but one of my concerns is the property is high up on a hill with a big drop at the front (at some point in the future I will probably enclose the front yard, but wasn't planning to yet). Something I'd consider far too dangerous for a crawling baby/toddler. IF something unfortunate was to occur, who is responsible?

The income levels are below average which is another concern, but we're talking about Frankston, so I think I was just lucky to get such a good tenant first up. This is only my second time selecting a tenant, and hearing so many horror stories on here, it's scary! :(

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The perfect tenants of my first IP have decided to break lease as they have bought a home.
Perfect tenants don't break leases :cool:

The income levels are below average which is another concern, but we're talking about Frankston, so I think I was just lucky to get such a good tenant first up.
Below average income for Frankston?? or what you'd like? :p

Lock 'em in Eddie.

You are allowed to be picky.

It would be important for you to check your position in the legislation. Here in QLD, when a tenant needs to vacate prior to the end of the lease, they are then looking for a tenant to assign the balance of the lease to, as they continue to pay the rent, up to the time of transfer. We had the situation recently, where a LL informed the outgoing tenant, that the new tenant they proposed was unacceptable, and on that basis the tenant applied to the court for release, and won, as it was held that the LL did not do enough to mitigate their loss. As it may be different in Vic, its important you know the ropes.

Perfect tenants don't break leases :cool:

Haha true, my definition was that they were high income, looked after the place and were always 1-3 months in advance on their rent.

Below average income for Frankston?? or what you'd like? :p

Below the country average, but I need to face facts, many renters are going to be low income earners. I'm still new to this game! :eek:

Thanks for the response Propertunity.

My concern is, due to it being a lease break, how choosy am I allowed to be, and what is considered an "acceptable tenant"? This couple seem ok (maybe), but one of my concerns is the property is high up on a hill with a big drop at the front (at some point in the future I will probably enclose the front yard, but wasn't planning to yet). Something I'd consider far too dangerous for a crawling baby/toddler. IF something unfortunate was to occur, who is responsible?!

While you think (and it probably is) unexceptable if they have inspected the property and still want to rent it then it is up to them. If it isn't a requirement by law to have fence there, then i think you will be fine. It comes down to them being responsible in living in a place "they" selected.

While you think (and it probably is) unexceptable if they have inspected the property and still want to rent it then it is up to them. If it isn't a requirement by law to have fence there, then i think you will be fine. It comes down to them being responsible in living in a place "they" selected.

Any drop exceeding 1M must be fenced. Even if it is cloes to this height I would fence. The responsibility is yours as LL not the tenants to ensure compliance with building standards.

Regards

Andrew

Thanks for the replies.

Any drop exceeding 1M must be fenced. Even if it is cloes to this height I would fence. The responsibility is yours as LL not the tenants to ensure compliance with building standards.

Does this go for land too though? This isn't part of the house, none of the house or verandah is more than 1m high to the land surrounding it. It's the front garden... house is high up (steepish driveway), resulting in nice views over a nature reserve, but there is a fairly steep drop (more than 1m) onto the brick driveway at the front which would concern me with a very young child. On the other hand if these are acceptable tenants, I am not really in a position to reject them unless I want to cover any vacancy period, of which at the moment, the current tenant is responsible for.

And to think this is just my first IP, imagine having these problems multiplied by many many more (admittedly I am a stress head and think and worry about every little thing though). :eek:

The perfect tenants of my first IP have decided to break lease as they have bought a home. House was open on the weekend and got a couple of applications, one which was no good, the other one a maybe, but I have my own concerns. It is a couple expecting a baby shortly (no pets, but seeing what children can do, I think I prefer pets), both employed with ordinary income levels. She's coming from home so no references, he's coming from a previous rental property with a good reference from another agent who said he always paid on time.

My concern is, due to it being a lease break, how choosy am I allowed to be, and what is considered an "acceptable tenant"? This couple seem ok (maybe), but one of my concerns is the property is high up on a hill with a big drop at the front (at some point in the future I will probably enclose the front yard, but wasn't planning to yet). Something I'd consider far too dangerous for a crawling baby/toddler. IF something unfortunate was to occur, who is responsible?

The income levels are below average which is another concern, but we're talking about Frankston, so I think I was just lucky to get such a good tenant first up. This is only my second time selecting a tenant, and hearing so many horror stories on here, it's scary! :(

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

take them. i must have a message of at least 10 characters,

Back