Tenant has placed a request for cats

Hi All,

A tenant has put in a request for 2 kittens. I would like to accept the request, but I would also like to request that the cats be neutered. Am I within my right to request this?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Hi All,

A tenant has put in a request for 2 kittens. I would like to accept the request, but I would also like to request that the cats be neutered. Am I within my right to request this?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

I'm not sure if that is a valid request, but they generally wont be desexed until they are around 6 months old.
you could also insist on them being registered with local council (it costs alot more to register if not desexed)

Thanks Penny. I didn't know at what age they could be desexed. I got my cats when they were 3 years old and they were already desexed.

I guess all I can do is ask them to have them desexed when they are old enough and hope they actually do it.

I think as a landlord you can only say yes or no to that request. This is based on my logic as opposed to research though.

My dogs did a survey of other dogs in our suburb by sniffing trees and backsides. The summed up their findings as follows:

Cats should not be allowed, unless they're being baked into pie. Dogs rox!

Seriously though, whilst I'm an advocate, I don't think you can make a tenant neuter their pets.

the advantage of insisting they are registered is that it is more expensive to register an undesexed animal (in my area $150 vs $40.) so, it will encourage desexing, without specificaly asking for it.

Thanks for the replies. I have advised the PM to allow the cats only if they are registered with the local council, as this is a requirement anyway, by law, in Ipswich.

I did not say anything about desexing the cats in my email to the PM, but hopefully the tenant will put 2 and 2 together.

I am a cat owner myself, so to anyone who may not undestand why I would come up with such condition (mainly those who don't have cats) here's a bit of a read... link

I don't think we have ever received a request for a pet without the subject pet or some pet, already being there.

A tenant who keeps a clean house can be trusted with any pet. They would also be responsible pet owners in other respects.

What I am saying is that it is all up to the PM's tenant selection originally, not later pet approval.

never being damage by pet yet, but more of the maintenance work need to be carried out such us carpet need to be cleared and replaced more often if the tenant goes, some landscaping will need more care like ......

just in general, you want to factor in more maintenance cost for the property.

RE "How many of your properties have been damaged by pets? And what kind of pets/number of animals did this damage? "

Flea infestation become evident after tenant has left.

Dog urine in carpet - smell was very hard to remove

I would ask to see the council registration certificates.

You can ask the PM to do a "pre-cats" inspection report so you can see if there is any damage specifically due to the cats. Check again in 3 months.

Sorry, but that's not going to fly.
* Although Ipswich council has mandatory cat registration, enforcing it is another matter
* You can't specify desexing
* You can't increase the rent
* You can't ask for additional bond and
* The QLD RTA would consider this a reasonable request and override any decision by yourself not to allow.

Be grateful they even asked.

Talk to the tenant see if they are prepared to sign an addendum to the lease to fumigate the premises on vacating.
That's about all you can realistically do.
A.

Sorry, but that's not going to fly.
* Although Ipswich council has mandatory cat registration, enforcing it is another matter
* You can't specify desexing
* You can't increase the rent
* You can't ask for additional bond and
* The QLD RTA would consider this a reasonable request and override any decision by yourself not to allow.

Have you tried this (in terms of registration)? you seem very definite in your opinion..

I dont see why either the tenant or the RTA would object to registration, given that it is compulsory. If the cat runs away, this (and the microchipping involved) is how they track down hte owner. (my cat has run away 3x since we moved house 8 months ago :eek: ). I would have thought most pet owners would think this is reasnable. and if they dont, they're probably not the sort of tenant/ pet owners you want!

Back