Tenant Lied on Application form!!!

Hi Guys,

Just a few questions please, one of my IP's are leased for about a month now and we went to install a new dishwasher today. As we walked in the house we realised that there are so many things hanging of the wall and they did not even asked us if they can do it, I mentioned that to the PM and he said it's only the 3m type of hooks and they know what to do due to the fact that they also have an IP. My other IP the tenant asked us if she can hang things of the wall and we said yes so are we wrong to expect the same from this tenant. The other thing is that they mentioned that they don't smoke on the application and we have seen the tenant smoke (outside). What can I say to the PM wen ever he tells me again it's the LAW to fix any defects(I always fix any defect as soon as possible) or the tenant can give me lots of trouble. THE PM ALWAYS PLAYS THE LAW CARD.....

Help will be appreciated

Thanks
Blikkies

Geez.... you have an investment property. It is rented out to someone. That someone pays you rent, respect their privacy and let them do what they need to do as long as they don't damage your property.

Hooks issue: If its the 3m hooks, then its fine. If the property is damaged when they vacate, take it out of their bond.

Smoking: Maybe they lied, maybe they just started. Either way, they are smoking outside the property. Did the room smell like someone constantly smoked in there? Again, if the property stinks of smoke when they vacate, ask the agent to take the cleaning fee out of their bond.

Personally, i think you're being too precious about it. You may own it, but you don't live there.

Blikkies,
Assume your tenants always lie..and hope for the best.

Read the RTA for your state, so YOU know the rules, when your PM tells you stuff.

Geez.... you have an investment property. It is rented out to someone. That someone pays you rent, respect their privacy and let them do what they need to do as long as they don't damage your property.

Hooks issue: If its the 3m hooks, then its fine. If the property is damaged when they vacate, take it out of their bond.

Smoking: Maybe they lied, maybe they just started. Either way, they are smoking outside the property. Did the room smell like someone constantly smoked in there? Again, if the property stinks of smoke when they vacate, ask the agent to take the cleaning fee out of their bond.

Personally, i think you're being too precious about it. You may own it, but you don't live there.

GEEZ its my house and abond wont pay for painting the whole house or any other damage..................... IP's are there to make money not to spend on it and its not my first one either.

You'll find that PM and lease contracts often state that smoking is not permitted inside the house, not that it isn't permitted within the property. It's certainly worth asking the question.

You'll find that PM and lease contracts often state that smoking is not permitted inside the house, not that it isn't permitted within the property. It's certainly worth asking the question.

Thanks for that but the other IP's I have the PM asked me if the tenants can smoke,have pets or things like that. I said yes but outside, pets outside and like the hooks I said yes but thething is they just do things without asking me and this p**&&^%$% me off.......

Be careful- it's possible the tenant would have cause for complaint if he did not know that the owner was installing the dishwasher. If you raised problems now it could cause you problems.

The tenant was considerate enough to smoke outside. He's being careful of your property.

Normally an inspection can be carried out early in a tenancy. Give the PM instructions to confirm that the wall hangings are not damaging your wall, and take action if they are.

If the lease states that there can be no smoking inside then get the PM to check. Otherwise you wouldn't have a leg to stand on, and would be restricted to claiming bond if paintwork was damaged. There would be no damage or no action possible for somebody smoking outside the house.

Be careful- it's possible the tenant would have cause for complaint if he did not know that the owner was installing the dishwasher. If you raised problems now it could cause you problems.

The tenant was considerate enough to smoke outside. He's being careful of your property.

Normally an inspection can be carried out early in a tenancy. Give the PM instructions to confirm that the wall hangings are not damaging your wall, and take action if they are.

If the lease states that there can be no smoking inside then get the PM to check. Otherwise you wouldn't have a leg to stand on, and would be restricted to claiming bond if paintwork was damaged. There would be no damage or no action possible for somebody smoking outside the house.

Thanks for that, the smoking is not the issue the thing is that they lied on there application , the way I feel is that if they lie on an application what else do they lie about? I hate tenants that lie. The tenant asked us to change the dishwasher because it was leaking at the door seal, I will not enter any of my IP's without the tenant or PM's permission.

Thanks for the info

If you don't want to spend money maintaining a property why did you buy one? If a few little hooks are all you have to worry about consider yourself lucky. Don't sweat over small stuff or even larger stuff for that matter. Get a life where more important things can keep you occupied.

There are a lot of things which can go wrong with owning a property, and there are a lot of things which a tenant can get upset about.

On a scale of 1-10 I'd put these on 1.

If these sort of things really upset you, you might want to think about what happens if a 5 or 8 on the scale happens. Could you really cope?

Yes, he lied. I understand that. But it's a lie which doesn't really matter that much to you. He may have been rejected from other properties by being honest. But by smoking outside, he's shown that he cares for your property. Save the stress for those times when you really need it.

(Inappropriate responses have already been deleted. Please, don't get personal).

Blikkies,
Since you are doing the maintenace/ repairs, have you considered actually self managing?
Or..inform the tenants, you are the owner.

We self manage, and also have employees who work on our behalf (only) when we are not there. When we return each year from vacation, we take an active role and the tenants certainly know who we are.

I think you guys are being a bit harsh

He might be treating his ip as his own baby especially if he only has one ip or had saved 10 years for a deposit or he is intending to make it into a ppor or a dream home

I understand where he is coming from,

Frankly at this point in time in my life and number of Ips I have
I simply do not care about small things, I assume (yes dangerous) that my pm is competent and any damage will be taken care by the bond, the rest is wear and tear, even the property reports, I just look at the key points, and never look at them again

You need to work out what's worth the hassle and what isn't.

Tenants in our newly renovated property hung pictures (at the wrong height). Hopefully they are the removable hooks. And they have a small dog. They smoke outside. I didn't state no smoking though (this was a nicotine riddled house).
But at the end of the day they are excellent tenants who keep the house in spotless condition.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

they just do things without asking me and this p**&&^%$% me off.......

Get over it! If you are going to survive as a Landlord, you have to work out what are real problems and what is just inconvenient. So they lied! So they hung pictures! So what!

Honestly, with the pictures, if they're not the peel off things, then just slap some filler on, sand & paint when they leave. Claim the Bond, claim the Insurance (if there's enough to warrant it) & just get on with it.

What will you do when they punch holes in walls, or leave a nasty German Cockroach infestation, or stop paying rent, or the kids draw all over the walls, or rip up the carpet, or paint (poorly), or scratch the floorboards, or .................you get the picture.

If you don't want to spend money maintaining a property why did you buy one? If a few little hooks are all you have to worry about consider yourself lucky. Don't sweat over small stuff or even larger stuff for that matter. Get a life where more important things can keep you occupied.

I spend $1800 on a dishwasher mate,money spend on maintaining my IP's is not an issue for me the principle is they lied so why don't you get a life because I do have one mate.

I think you guys are being a bit harsh

He might be treating his ip as his own baby especially if he only has one ip or had saved 10 years for a deposit or he is intending to make it into a ppor or a dream home

I understand where he is coming from,

Frankly at this point in time in my life and number of Ips I have
I simply do not care about small things, I assume (yes dangerous) that my pm is competent and any damage will be taken care by the bond, the rest is wear and tear, even the property reports, I just look at the key points, and never look at them again

Thanks for that mate , I do have a few IP's and currently busy with another one. The thing is all the lies but you are right this small lies " look past it"

Cheers

You need to work out what's worth the hassle and what isn't.

Tenants in our newly renovated property hung pictures (at the wrong height). Hopefully they are the removable hooks. And they have a small dog. They smoke outside. I didn't state no smoking though (this was a nicotine riddled house).
But at the end of the day they are excellent tenants who keep the house in spotless condition.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Thanks will keep this in mind

Back