Tenant maintenance requests

Have a tenant that's recently moved in, the managing agent had them renting previously and gave them a good reference. They did mention the tenant had a lot of maintenance requests though.

Anyway, they've been in a month and the first request has come in. Door handle to the bathroom broken. Normally I'd just have the handy man check it out, but bearing in mind the agents comment about excessive prior maintenance requests I asked for more info.

Apparently the spindle is so worn it spins and won't open the catch and added that the bedroom ones are the nearly the same and its a "safety issue".

As I said normally I'd just have it changed by the handyman but I'm worried I'll "feed the beast" so to speak ;)

I just emailed the agent and asked them to call in and verify they don't actually work and it's not just the tenant wanting some nice new door handles.

How would you handle it?

First request benefit of the doubt if legit. After that if there is a string of small requests then base each on merit.. and have PM reject friviolous things.

Who knows, previous house could have been a complete dump

At the end of the day even if they do often put in requests each one needs to be judged - IMHO not being able to open doors in your house is certainly one that needs fixing.

Just because you fix something now doesn't mean you have to agree to all their requests in the future.

First request benefit of the doubt if legit. After that if there is a string of small requests then base each on merit.. and have PM reject friviolous things.

Who knows, previous house could have been a complete dump

Yeah that's a good common sense approach Dave.

After thinking about this overnight, the real issue is my relationship with the pm. This is a minor request that normally I'd let the pm handle and trust their judgement.

I guess I don't really trust their judgement or that they are looking out for my best interests as an investor. There's a number of issues over the past 9 months that have led to this and that's why I'm trying micro manage their job.

Conclusion for me, benefit of the doubt, have it fixed and change to new pm.

An other idea, is to have the tenants give you a list of their concerns, and then have the handyman address all at once. Tell them to take a month to 'discover' all the small problems, and then you can organise to fix/repair/replace the ones you are willing to do.

Not all problems need to be fixed. For instance, if the property doesn't have window screens or has ripped ones,and you didn't say you were going to fix them....don't.

An other idea, is to have the tenants give you a list of their concerns, and then have the handyman address all at once. Tell them to take a month to 'discover' all the small problems, and then you can organise to fix/repair/replace the ones you are willing to do.

Not all problems need to be fixed. For instance, if the property doesn't have window screens or has ripped ones,and you didn't say you were going to fix them....don't.

That's a good idea, I hate sending trades/handymen back and forth for minor jobs. Much more economical to get few done at once.

Slumpmonkey, the property is in NSW, just a tad out of the way coming home from work;)

The tenant presented a receipt for a new handle to the agency this morning for one he bought to fit himself, fine with me. Although really, the issue was only raised with us Tuesday arvo, pm was a little rude in their response to me questioning the request. Has just confirmed my decision to change pm's:)

The tenant presented a receipt for a new handle to the agency this morning for one he bought to fit himself, fine with me.

Assuming he didn't check with you first before purchasing, I'd be wary of just ok'ing this. Could set a dangerous precedent and you might find a receipt for something even more dearer next time.

Perhaps ok this one but warm him to check with you first next time.

Assuming he didn't check with you first before purchasing, I'd be wary of just ok'ing this. Could set a dangerous precedent and you might find a receipt for something even more dearer next time.

Perhaps ok this one but warm him to check with you first next time.

Yeah i agree I've switch agents already, not happy with their handling of it

You can specify with a pm as to how much they can or can't do before contacting you. You may want to specify that they refer everything to you, or you may be happy for them to notify you only for jobs that cost more than $xxx.

If the pm doesn't know what you want it may not b a problem with them, just a lack of mutual understanding.

Back