tenant wants to install new oven at own cost!

well, thats a nice surpise to start the day

tenant wants to buy and install a new oven, oven is oldish but still functioning fine,

all at their cost, including installation, its a free standing,

tenant has been in there six months,

I must say its nice to hear stories like this

thank you almighty one:D

yes thats what I thought, but they said, they will install the same model,

and yes I guess they could take it with them......

maybe its not such a good day for me haha

As long as they keep the old oven...
Or you migth be able to negotiate lower oven price when they leave the property :)

Tenants need to leave the place in the same condition as it was in when it arrived, so the default position would be that even if they took the new oven with them, they would have to restore the old one in working order. They probably don't want to do that, but it would be the point I would start from in the negotiations (i.e. permission to replace the oven does not grant permission for there to be a hole in the kitchen on vacation.)

I would not feel comfortable with this arrangement. I would feel like I should buy the new oven, but if it works well, and they really want to spend unnecessary money on a brand new one, then I would only allow that if they sign away their right to take it when they leave.

What happens to the old one for the time they are there? Does it sit under the house, deteriorating, having vermin get inside it?

What happens if they leave on bad terms and take their oven without reinstalling the old one. Too many "what if" scenarios for me to feel at all comfortable with it.

I've had tenants remove curtains and carpets and leave them under the house to be completely ruined.

If they really want a new oven, and the old one functions fine, then I would only allow them to buy the new one if they give me a signed agreement that it will stay afterwards. I would also allow them to sell the old one and keep the proceeds.

I remember having a tenant and each time I did an inspection she would start off with a sorry. When I stated why are you sorry she stated that since the last inspection she had installed either a new oven, new split air con, and painted the property at her own expense with out permission. She did each improvement every 6 mths. Owner thought it was great and tenant never wanted compensation or re imbursement. When she vacated 2 years later never took products with her. But I was very upset with the owner who wanted to charge the tenant for cleaning out the gutters that were full of leaves.

To the op
Can you pay for the new oven, installation costs etc
Increase tenants' rent by $x to recover costs.
This way, you have paid for the oven and it's yours.

Salvatore - i had a good tenant leave once, with some minor cleaning required. My pm talked me out of charging this to the tenants, since they had been good.

To the op
Can you pay for the new oven, installation costs etc
Increase tenants' rent by $x to recover costs.
This way, you have paid for the oven and it's yours.

Salvatore - i had a good tenant leave once, with some minor cleaning required. My pm talked me out of charging this to the tenants, since they had been good.

That's the way I would do it. Get the cost back at $2/wk.

Alternatively, let them install at own expense on the basis that it stays, and let them sell the old one.

$2/week?
That's $100/year.
An oven alone will be min $500. If possible, can you charge more?
Even $5/week will be better.

Oops. I mistyped. You are right of course. If the oven is really only $500, then maybe you could get away with $2/wk - just! Except that when I have replaced ovens it has been a more than $500 with installation. ($800 last time).

For appliances with a long life like ovens, my rule of thumb is $4/wk per $1000 invested, perhaps a little bit more if they are PITA appliances like A/C and dishwashers and more if I can get it. But this is complicated by the fact that you have to have an oven in there anyhow, and presumably this one would have a longer time to replacement than the existing old one.

Depends on how much you want to keep the customer happy, I guess.

If it was me, I would let them do it with an agreement in writing that states that the new oven is incorporated into a new condition report and that it stays in the property after their vacating.

Make sure it is of their request and not the landlords. In writing signed.

We have done this on several occasions with gas supply installation for heating, and a dishwasher. This tenant also left a perfectly good washing machine, double door fridge, gas heater and many other "handy" items upon terminating.

She got a great reference!

Lease states that the tenant has to leave the property as he found it or better minus wear and tear. Therefore he would have to re install the old oven at his own cost. Firstly I cant see the tenant storing the old oven away for the length of the lease and ensuring it stays clean and working. Secondly do you rearly believe on vacating they would pay an electrician to uninstall the new oven, install the old oven and ensure it still works? Not very cost efficient. All you need to do is state in an email to the tenant that they have your permission to install a new oven and it must be installed in a professional manner, by a licienced tradesman plus on vacating the tenant can leave the new oven or reinstall the old oven, ensure still working all at their own expense.;)

Lease states that the tenant has to leave the property as he found it or better minus wear and tear. Therefore he would have to re install the old oven at his own cost. Firstly I cant see the tenant storing the old oven away for the length of the lease and ensuring it stays clean and working. Secondly do you rearly believe on vacating they would pay an electrician to uninstall the new oven, install the old oven and ensure it still works? Not very cost efficient. All you need to do is state in an email to the tenant that they have your permission to install a new oven and it must be installed in a professional manner, by a licienced tradesman plus on vacating the tenant can leave the new oven or reinstall the old oven, ensure still working all at their own expense.;)

Your post is pretty much how I feel, except I would not give them the option of this last sentence. If they are behind in their rent, will they do that? What do you do if they simply uninstall "their" oven and leave you with a rusty or dusty one downstairs, maybe in no condition to be reinstalled and possibly leaving it up to you to pay to get it back upstairs, checked for safety and re-installed.

No way!

If the IP needs a new oven, I will pay for it. If it is the whim of the tenant, they can pay for it, and sign something stating it will be left there. I've never had this issue though.

When a good tenant asked if they could (at their own cost) install a window air-con and put the window back in when they leave, we chose to install a split for them. I had full confidence in these long term, fantastic tenants, but that is also why I was happy to install a split for them rather than take even the smallest risk that they might damage our window.

Thats why you have landlord insurance for the what if and the maybe and the peace of mind. Only costs around $390 per year! You have fire insurance in your building insurance for the same reason. You dont want it to burn down but just in case!

Thats why you have landlord insurance for the what if and the maybe and the peace of mind. Only costs around $390 per year! You have fire insurance in your building insurance for the same reason. You dont want it to burn down but just in case!

I have landlord insurance, but still wouldn't allow a tenant to "make good" something that I have no control over. I've had carpets and curtains left on dirt floors under houses. I won't even contemplate paying my insurance excess over something like this.

Bond would easly cover your access cost, everthing else would be claimable with the right policy.

Whilst I agree with that generally, I don't want to have to deal with an insurer, make a claim, or even pay an excess due to something that was done on the whim of a tenant.

If the oven needs replacing I will replace it, claim whatever deductions come with a new oven, write off the old one and not have to deal with an insurance company.

I guess what it comes down to is the thought that a tenant might "want" a different oven just because they want a new oven. If it doesn't need replacing, I won't be paying for a new one, and I certainly won't agree to the tenant doing so with any risk at the end.

We once had a high end tenant say she would like new side fences... NEXT!!!

We fix things that need fixing, probably look after our tenants better than many landlords because we deal directly with them. We had a tenant text me yesterday saying the bedroom overhead fan is making a noise and has only one speed.

I text her back saying we would not waste money trying to fix an older fan, would buy a new one and her next call will be when we say we have the fan, and our sparkie will call her to arrange a time to fit it. For me it is a win/win. We have a new fan, haven't paid a sparkie to spend time fixing an old one, which likely would end up with a second visit to fit a new one.

Back