tenant wont let re in

We have been trying to contact the tenants for 2 weeks so that a valuer can go in an revalue my townhouse, but they wont return calls or ring the valuer. I said go in as youve given notice, but the rea said they havent got a key. I gave them 3 sets, I am amazed a rea wouldnt keep one set. Anyway I have another I can send, and have said just go in with the valuer as they are due for their first inspection anyway. the rea seems reluctant and unsure. We first rented this out 3rd week April, does anyone know how soon a rea can inspect

I can't remember 100%, but I am sure that my Qld agent advised that only 48hours notice for a property valuation. Different notice required for agent/owner to do an inspection, I believe.

The agent can go in with their own key after giving the tenant appropriate notice, they do not need to wait for the tenant to respond.

What is their explanation for not having a set of keys? That's just absurd!

The agent can go in with their own key after giving the tenant appropriate notice, they do not need to wait for the tenant to respond.

What is their explanation for not having a set of keys? That's just absurd!

They could be too scared to go in without permission.

Remember that most of these "managers" are just 20 year old girls :cool:

Remember that most of these "managers" are just 20 year old girls :cool:

Agreed, except on the age, 20 seems a bit old. Most I see are the 18 and 19 yr old secretary's that show an ounce of get up and go.

The title of "professional property manager" having been bestowed on anyone that can sit through a four day course without falling asleep and then sit and complete a 2 hour exam. I think the pass mark is 70%.

Yep - it sure is tough nowadays to gain "professional qualifications".

It seems as though your agent has no idea of what they are doing? Lost keys, no idea about RTA legislation re entry, notices, inspections etc. What are you paying them for again?........:cool:

Oh I almost forgot, to check that the rent has gone into their account and for them to forward it to you in a month's time, less all their expenses for doing nothing!:eek:

I'd be speaking to the principal of the agency and demanding explanations for lost keys and not gaining access as per the RTA documentation which was served. If the answers were unsatisfactory, I'd be terminating the agreement with them and getting a new property manager ASAP. Imagine if you had a terrible tenant, what are they going to do then........wait for your property to get trashed, rent to be unpaid and then let you know?

Yes, there is no way of replacing good old fashioned experience.

Best of luck

Bundy

You guys all seem to be very hard on PM's. Yes I do agree there are alot of inexpecienced young ones out there but they are not all the same. There are actually some very good and professional PM's who have earned there senior status the hard way!! by doing the yards and the ongoing study. As far as gaining entry to the premises you are allowed access with a Notice of Entry to the tenant either delivered by hand or post no less than 48 hours prior to entry. You may use your keys to gain entry if the tenant is not at home. The first routine inspection may only be done at the 3 monthly mark and once again a written notice must be issued giving no less than 48 hours notice. I personally would probably be looking around for another PM but before that I would organise for the valuer to go through. When and if you find another PM I would supply a copy of the keys and get them to sign for them as being received so you have some come back. Good luck

The title of "professional property manager" having been bestowed on anyone that can sit through a four day course without falling asleep and then sit and complete a 2 hour exam. I think the pass mark is 70%.

hey - that's a bit rough - i did it in 3 days part time via the internet and passed with 100% ... oh ... okay .... it was p*ss easy ...

Agreed, except on the age, 20 seems a bit old. Most I see are the 18 and 19 yr old secretary's that show an ounce of get up and go.

In NSW i think you will find the fail rate is zero! most courses i have been too/done we have been given the answers to make sure we pass.

I understand why the public does get annoyed with PM. For the most part they are not trained and not supported by their principals. When i started, with no experience and only a three day course under my belt i was meant to be trained by the outgoing manager. My training was being dropped at properties being told to check if it was "okay" while he went off and did his shopping/met his GF etc. Needless to say i basically trained myself, and learnt on the job.... mainly by just listening to what my landlords were asking and then using my service and negotiating skills to make sure it happened.

Over the years i have learnt, and i am dedicated to trying to change the perception of PMs. Some of us our professionals, who continually update their skills and training and are striving to be the best.

Spot on with her being 20. All seems to be going ok now, evidently one tenant was on holidays (the others too inexperienced?scared?illiterate?) to return a phone call? Who knows. Anyway supposedly this tenant has made an appointment with the valuer for Mon. will double check this has happened. Maybe I'm too suspicious, but when I was starting really putting pressure on about getting in and they must be worried about what I will see, the rea said, well, she might be on holidays, and guess what, then she contacts the rea and said, I've been on holidays. Again, when I was putting pressure on, the PM did say she had looked through the windows when they went to see broken fence and it looked lovely and clean and tidy, and I dont think she would jeopardise her job by lying. I think as there were 3 girls and 3 sets of keys she must have given them all to them (I strongly suspect she knows one of these girls), but I cant believe she didnt keep a key in the office, what happens if they lock themselves out one night? I can get a key to them easily enough, but think I might just keep it until I need it next time. I still feel confident about these girls as they sent me a lovely note saying thank you for the things I had left in the house, and her father fixed the fence (I suspect her male friends had fallen against) but the other thing was the pms aid if the time suits her, she will go in and do an inspection early (not due till 17th) so as not to disturb them twice, I would think she would make it her business to go in at the same time as the valuer.

In SA property managers dont even have to be licensed or have done any sort of course. It is even more important here to select your PM carefully and ensure they have the experience to deal with all issues involved. Keep in kind also that business owners employ these young inexperienced people so they do not have to pay them much so they can discount fees to property investors.. How true is you get what you pay for in this industry, highly qualified PMs deserve to get paid more, therefore management fees need to be higher to pay their salaries. After all this is a business that we run.
Keep that in mind when trying to fond a new PM.

Back