Tenants complaining about me fixing issues with house

I have a house in central Brisbane with tenants that have resided for over a yr.

A month ago after making an appointment via the PM, we did some tree lopping in the front and back yard.

The tenant is generally looking after the house ok and is paying the rent on time but she is old and quite full on to deal with.

1 month on, I made another appt with the PM to fix the front stair treads. We arrived in the morning and found out that the agent had accidently told them we were to arrive in the afternoon. The agency is incompetent as I was dealing with the replacement of the replacement for the normal PM- and Im wondering if I should sack them as the service from them is second rate.

The tenant was angry at us complaining about '' all of our inspections''

The next door neighbour is having a termite issue and I discovered this morning that I don't think the pump is working on my rainwater tank, so it is overflowing, compounding the moist environment issue, which she believes is contributing to her termite problem. Thus, it looks like I will have to return yet again but worried about having to deal with the PM and the tenant.

If you can offer any advice it would be much appreciated. I think the tenant needs to be reminded of the lease contact she signed stipulating my right to do maintenance work when issues arise. What is your opinion??

many thanks

Agent gives appropriate notice, you get the work you need done, done. She cant argue with legislation only when it suits her.

You can always tell the tenant, that if you didn't come around, she could have fallen down the steps and the water will encourage termite to eat the house and then you'd have to kick her out.

The tenant was angry at us complaining about '' all of our inspections''

Tell her to make an official complaint to the relevant body as you have complied acording to the law (you did didnt you?) and are not making inspections, but carrying out maintenance.

No law against that as far as I know anyway.

The owner or agent has to give correct notice which must be complied with.

The notice was given for the afternoon, you can't just turn up in the morning or any other time.

The problem is with the PM, their error.
Marg

marg4000 is right.

But I don't imagine I could get some trades, let alone at a reasonable price, unless tenants cooperated wherever possible with the reasonable demands of trades.

Trades are in short supply. Tradies being human, in an effort to please they tend to promise a bit more than they can deliver, often running late or being forced to reschedule. As well, some jobs require more than one trade. Murphy's Law applies to all work.

The regulator's bureaucratic paperwork sets arrangements in stone making work more expensive and less likely to happen with a quality tradesman. However many tenants are happy to come to informal verbal arrangements, always allowing that they are asked politely in advance if they can fit in with it. That applies particularly to quoting.

If your outside only its not an inspection unless you go inside house.
If you are inside to fix a specific thing its not an inspection unless you go looking around the rest of the house.

The owner or agent has to give correct notice which must be complied with.

The notice was given for the afternoon, you can't just turn up in the morning or any other time.

The problem is with the PM, their error.
Marg

When has a tradesperson ever rolled up when they have said, let alone early?

If your pm is useless, do something about it.

Hi,

Is it a requirement to specify a time when notifying the tenant that maintenance is to be performed? In your case, I would just have the PM notify them that maintenance will occur on a certain date between 8am and 5pm.

PD

I think she is getting confused thinking when you do repairs and maintenance , that you are also inspecting?

Could be a simple misunderstanding. I think it is also a good idea that tenants do not know you are the home owner. She may feel uncomfortable that home owner is there and invasion of privacy? Thats why I think she may be making a big deal out of this

It sounds like a simple break down in communication.

Try and make sure the tenant is aware this is maintenance, not an inspection.

Last thing you want is an angry tenant, for absolutely no reason.

Back